is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Trav » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 02:48:43

hi all,

im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in before,
but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to be
around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target in the
Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product for SME
businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to take it
down!
thanks, trav

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Matthew Gardine » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 03:23:19

Quote:> hi all,

> im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
> Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in before,
> but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to be
> around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target in
the
> Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product for
SME
> businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to take
it
> down!
> thanks, trav

Why don't you pop over to iPlanet and you will find:

http://www.veryComputer.com/
.html

Would be a good start.

Matthew Gardiner

Post by jackso » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 04:10:01

> hi all,

> im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
> Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in
> before, but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os
> support to be around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be
> major target in the Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the
> * server product for SME businesses in my area, and Linux is
> missing only one key feature to take it down! thanks, trav

Not that I know of in one package; HOWEVER, you can combine two packages
to get the same effect, such as...

qmail or Postfix with Bynari

I have used qmail and like it. I have not used Bynari or Postfix.

jackson

Post by Bigb » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 02:07:05

> hi all,

> im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
> Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in before,
> but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to be
> around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target in
> the
> Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product for
> SME businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to
> take it down!
> thanks, trav

What do you mean similar?  Like using the same protocols?  I would just say
use Lotus Domino server.  I believe it runs in Linux.  Outlook can connect
to it and the end user would not even know that a switch was made.  Then
your users can choose to run Lotus Notes (new version 6 coming out soon) or
Outlook.
--
Bigby

Remove Windows, then email me - take it both ways.

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Simon Cook » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:37:36

Quote:> hi all,

> im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on
Linux.
> Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in
before,
> but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to
be
> around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target
in the
> Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product
for SME
> businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to
take it
> down!
> thanks, trav

Check out Evolution.

www.evolution.org

Simon

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Simon Cook » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:39:31

Quote:> hi all,

> im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on
Linux.
> Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in
before,
> but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to
be
> around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target
in the
> Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product
for SME
> businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to
take it
> down!
> thanks, trav

Sorry... ignore the other post, make that:

Check out Evolution:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

... although I've not run it, so it may or may not meet your needs.

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Stuart Fo » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:13:40

"Matthew Gardiner"

> > hi all,

> > im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> > replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
> > Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in
before,
> > but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to
be
> > around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target in
> the
> > Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product for
> SME
> > businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to take
> it
> > down!
> > thanks, trav

> Why don't you pop over to iPlanet and you will find:

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Quote:> .html

> Would be a good start.

From what I've seen out there, it doesn't look like it would really be that
great.  First thing wrong with it, people don't really want to use a web
interface for their calendaring - it's good for roaming and travelling, web
interfaces mostly suck for fulltime use.  Second, calendar notifications are
via email - a pop up is far better.  A lot of people would miss the email.
(Maybe I'm missing something - there didn't seem to be a client for it).
The messaging side of it looks quite good - although arguably if you wanted
POP/SMTP/LDAP you could get some free/low cost stuff to do the same job?

Post by Jim Richardso » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:59:26

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Post by Jim Richardso » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:01:12

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
http://www.veryComputer.com/~warlock
Linux, from watches to supercomputers, for grandmas and geeks.

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Johan Lindquis » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:09:09

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 at 08:59 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

Quote:> Bynari, they have an exchange replacement. see
> <http://www.bynari.net/bynari/products.html>

Ack-pfft! The client (if they haven't changed that in the last month)
is a 16-bit windows application that looks like cr*p. Not a viable
option IMO.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 11:01am  up 5 days,  4:26,  3 users,  load average: 1.44, 1.58, 1.47

Post by Matthew Gardine » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:16:03

> "Matthew Gardiner"

message

> > > hi all,

> > > im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> > > replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on
Linux.
> > > Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in
> before,
> > > but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to
> be
> > > around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target
in
> > the
> > > Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product
for
> > SME
> > > businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to
take
> > it
> > > down!
> > > thanks, trav

> > Why don't you pop over to iPlanet and you will find:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > .html

> > Would be a good start.

> From what I've seen out there, it doesn't look like it would really be
that
> great.  First thing wrong with it, people don't really want to use a web
> interface for their calendaring - it's good for roaming and travelling,
web
> interfaces mostly suck for fulltime use.  Second, calendar notifications
are
> via email - a pop up is far better.  A lot of people would miss the email.
> (Maybe I'm missing something - there didn't seem to be a client for it).
> The messaging side of it looks quite good - although arguably if you
wanted
> POP/SMTP/LDAP you could get some free/low cost stuff to do the same job?

But apart from that, the package isn't too bad. One perk with a webinterface
is that you don't have to setup a email etc client thus making life a hell
of alot easier.

Matthew Gardiner

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by Simon Cook » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 18:25:57

"Matthew Gardiner"

Quote:> But apart from that, the package isn't too bad. One perk with a
webinterface
> is that you don't have to setup a email etc client thus making life a
hell
> of alot easier.

A big problem with a web interface, however, is that depending on the
circumstances, if you get a network error during transmission of your
email to the server, you can completely lose that email and all of the
text.

Particularly if they have no-cache turned on for privacy in the headers.

Web's not bad for reading mail or quick notes. But as a full-time use
kind of thing? I've lost way too many emails that way.

Simon

--
http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
Linux, from watches to supercomputers, for grandmas and geeks.

is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

Post by alt » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 22:06:00

Trav wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy the following drivel:

Quote:> hi all,

> im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
> replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
> Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in before,
> but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to be
> around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target in
> the
> Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the * server product for
> SME businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to
> take it down!
> thanks, trav

There is no alternative to Microsoft Exchange. There is simply nothing out
there that will spread a virus as quickly and that is as easy to take down
a network with if you hit "reply all"....

Surely, Linux does not have such an equivalent.

--
Linux: Because you can!

All Rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAAAH!"

Post by Bigb » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 22:08:25

> "Matthew Gardiner"

>> But apart from that, the package isn't too bad. One perk with a
> webinterface
>> is that you don't have to setup a email etc client thus making life a
> hell
>> of alot easier.

> A big problem with a web interface, however, is that depending on the
> circumstances, if you get a network error during transmission of your
> email to the server, you can completely lose that email and all of the
> text.

> Particularly if they have no-cache turned on for privacy in the headers.

> Web's not bad for reading mail or quick notes. But as a full-time use
> kind of thing? I've lost way too many emails that way.

> Simon

The chance of that happening is the chance of having a power surge or your
web browser crashing / email app crashing.
--
Bigby

Remove Windows, then email me - take it both ways.

1. MS exchange alternative on Linux

hi all,

im trying to convince a company to change from MS SBS to Linux.  I can
replicate SBS on Linux but im missing a MS exchange equivalent on Linux.
Any help or links on this would be great.  I have use Openmail in before,
but is there anything else out there? (i want some level os support to be
around in the future)?  I would've thought this would be major target in the
Linux community to take down M$.  SBS is the dominant server product for SME
businesses in my area, and Linux is missing only one key feature to take it
down!
thanks, trav

2. anything like this out there already?

3. Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

4. AtGuard-style program?

5. Alternatives to MS Exchange?

6. xntp is incredible large

7. Is there an alternative to MS Exchange

8. .gz files

9. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

10. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

11. Linux alternative to Exchange found to be 1/2 the cost!

12. alternative to exchange caldender service for linux

13. MS Exchange and Linux