* vs Linux

Post by Jordan Mendelso » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

You know, I've been reading USENET for quite some time, and I have yet to
see a newsgroup do more OS bashing than this one. Granted you guys to
support Linux, but is this the real way to do it?

Most of the discussions in here try to compare Linux to other OS's, which
really isn't possible. The MS, IBM, and Apple worlds were built on
completely different philosophies. Linux has always been based towards
multiuser systems, while he rest of the OS's are primarily meant to be
used for a single user at a desktop. You can't compare these beasts, each
one has its own strong points and weak points.

If you really want to show your support for Linux, you should really try
publicizing it more. Get the logo on your web site, bring your friends
into the Linux world, use Linux at work, and run full page ads in your
local newspaper :) (or simply say, "Made With Linux" on the bottom of it)

Anyway, I hope someone out there actually listened to what I am saying,
instead of posting a followup bashing everything I said like most of the
posts in here.

Jordy

--
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy
Web Services, Inc.   : www.wserv.com

* vs Linux

Post by Horst von Bran » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> [Good points deleted for space]
> Anyway, I hope someone out there actually listened to what I am saying,
> instead of posting a followup bashing everything I said like most of the
> posts in here.

Oh, the temptation, the temptation... :-)

--

Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 654431
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria              +56 32 654239

1. linux ppc vs linux alpha vs linux x86?

does anyone have/know where to get benchmarks
comparing the performance of linux on various
processors? i want to know how much better
linux PPC is than everything else :-)

--
[signature:]
my real email address is at usa dot net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. : smbclient - printing

3. WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux

4. Downloadable Blender tutorials

5. Interactive vs. Solaris x86 vs. Linux?

6. Complete newbie to Linux questions

7. NetBSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris on SPARC

8. Announce: Webmaster Resource Center

9. Objectively: 386bsd vs. Linux vs. commercial products?

10. Mac vs. Windoze vs. Linux poll

11. NetBSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris on SPARC

12. It isn't about SCO vs IBM, it is about SCO vs Linux

13. Solaris 7 vs Linux vs AIX security?