FLASH: Free Linux Upgrades

Post by Steve Mart » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

In a surprise move today the Linux Software Distributors (LSD)
cooperative announced that free upgrades to Linux would be made
available on the Internet at several ftp sites. Industry analysts
suspect that the group has made this move to counter recent rumors
that MicroSoft will be offering free upgrades to its sooner or
later to be released O/S, Windows '94, er '95.

We asked Software Industry observer Skip News for his response.

"Obviously these guys are on *," Skip exclaimed, "How can they
hope to compete in a market by giving away their software? Who would
want to buy an O/S that is free? How could you put a price on it?"

In fact it may be stranger than that. Not only is the O/S itself
available for free, but LSD also announced that the Source code
for the complete O/S would be made freely available as well. This
news shocked experts and sent stock prices up and down all day
after the announcement.

"Wide spread confusion," is all one broker was able to say about
the effects. "It may be related to the LSD announcement, it may
not be." said another. Concern was obviously on everyones mind.

We were finally able to reach a spokesman for the co-op to ask
what the group had in mind with such a move.

"Free Enterprise?" was the only answer we got.

We are not sure what that remark meant, but it is clear to this
reporter that Linux and LSD was going to change forever the way
software distribution is viewed.

Stay tuned for further developments.

FLASH: Free Linux Upgrades

Post by Jim William » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>"Free Enterprise?" was the only answer we got.

Free software to Free Enterprise!  I like that.  :)

You're preaching to the converted here though.  Why don't you
repost that to the advocacy groups (ms,mac,os2,...)?

--
Sphere.

Find a Linux/GNU Group for you: http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/

Buy Free UNIX!

FLASH: Free Linux Upgrades

Post by Sam Trenhol » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>In fact it may be stranger than that. Not only is the O/S itself
>available for free, but LSD also announced that the Source code
>for the complete O/S would be made freely available as well. This
>news shocked experts and sent stock prices up and down all day
>after the announcement.

So shocking to those that make money off of proprietary, non-free
solutions, that this sort of news is completely ignored by the
mainstream press, or written off as a comment like "UNIX is too difficult
to unsertand, so just give us a lot of money and we will give you this
solution instead".

Quote:>We are not sure what that remark meant, but it is clear to this
>reporter that Linux and LSD was going to change forever the way
>software distribution is viewed.

This sort of news will never hit the mainstream press. Too much money is
involved-- those magazines are practiclly finded by companies that sell
operating systems. Something that is free threatens their existance-- so
they reply to it by completely ignoring it.

Cheers,

Sam Trenholme

[Who points that that just because he's paranoid doesn't mean there is no
truth to what he says.]
--
Copyright 1995 Sam Trenholme.  Microsoft Network is prohibited from
redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part.  License to

1. Free Flash files / Templates

[delete]

One of the things I have learned on the Internet is that if it
says "free" it is not. IF you do business with anyone using that
word, you will be ripped off, to one degree or another.

When I do relevant google searches, I add -free to the end of the
line to eliminate garbage like this.

Sid

2. Sendmail mailertable-problems

3. news: Racal to trial free Linux to avoid £1m MS upgrade

4. mode on ttyb?

5. Free Linux upgrade package

6. ncr 53c810 and interrupt problems

7. Free LINUX Fax Software upgrade

8. Slow 28.8 modem under linux

9. FREE Linux upgrade package

10. Flash upgrading ELSA Microlink 56K modem