"Unix trounces NT"

Post by Maury Markowi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  Tell me something we DIDN'T know:

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,29416,00.html?st.ne.fd.gif.f

Maury

"Unix trounces NT"

Post by Kevin Hube » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Maury>   Tell me something we DIDN'T know:
Maury> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,29416,00.html?st.ne.fd.gif.f
Maury> Maury

  "HP-UX, however, slipped backwards, in part because of HP's failure to
  ship promised Java-based system management tools, which are key for
  managing a computer remotely."

*snort* *chortle* They must have surveyed management instead of
admins.

I know the Unix admins I know are always going, "hey, ls, vi and find
suck, wouldn't it be better to have a slow bloated client-server style
Java app for this stuff?".

-Kevin

"Unix trounces NT"

Post by drso.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: *snort* *chortle* They must have surveyed management instead of
: admins.

: I know the Unix admins I know are always going, "hey, ls, vi and find
: suck, wouldn't it be better to have a slow bloated client-server style
: Java app for this stuff?".

        Yes, I usually hear that between people saying "Geez I wish there
was an NT port of this server software." :-P

Blinky lights are the essence of  |  we'll just print more."
modern technology!                |  Caffeine underflow (brain dumped)

"Unix trounces NT"

Post by Maury Markowi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> : I know the Unix admins I know are always going, "hey, ls, vi and find
> : suck, wouldn't it be better to have a slow bloated client-server style
> : Java app for this stuff?".

  Well THIS one would. I love PICO instead.  :-)

Quote:>    Yes, I usually hear that between people saying "Geez I wish there
> was an NT port of this server software." :-P

  Uggg, don't laugh about that one, we've all heard it I'm sure.

Maury

"Unix trounces NT"

Post by Codifex Maximu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Maury>   Tell me something we DIDN'T know:
> Maury> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,29416,00.html?st.ne.fd.gif.f
> Maury> Maury

>   "HP-UX, however, slipped backwards, in part because of HP's failure to
>   ship promised Java-based system management tools, which are key for
>   managing a computer remotely."

> *snort* *chortle* They must have surveyed management instead of
> admins.

> I know the Unix admins I know are always going, "hey, ls, vi and find
> suck, wouldn't it be better to have a slow bloated client-server style
> Java app for this stuff?".

> -Kevin

Now now Kevin....

Let's not be too harsh on Java.  It's only as fast as the virtual machine
on which it runs.  I use the Blackdown port of JDK1.1.7 and TYA1.2 JIT and
uh... it's pretty fast!  Java is getting there fast.

--
Codifex Maximus
Don't judge a book by its mini-series.