Are Linux people illiterate?

Post by redty.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

From http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-5.html

"The bilt in Linux firewall..."

"...new firewall utility with more feachers"

How is this for an incomplete sentence including typos!

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-6.html

"Because most distributions don't dome with a kernel usefull to your
perpose."

Or this;

"You need to turning off any unneeded services."

"This script will count ever packet"

And the printed book "Running Linux" (3rd Edition mind you) has typos..

Check page 47, "If this is the cas, it should be explicity stated on
the package"

--- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much time
geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?   Well..
rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by sfcyb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

There is a difference between typos and being illiterate! BTW, Linux
users are NOT the ones that need pictures to use a computer.

Quote:

Post by Brian Langenberge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

That sentance has no verb.

<snip>

: --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much time
                   ^
Your punctuation needs work.  Also, the phrase "you all" is redundant,
unless you're from the southern U.S.

: geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?   Well..
: rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

Maybe you mean "*I* rest my case", unless you're instructing us to
rest your case for you.

I'm fairly certain the Linux community doesn't take you seriously.
The rest of the world doesn't give a rat's ass about the occasional
typo since they're so prevalent on the internet anyway.

Are Linux people illiterate?

Post by Michael Veste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

So, what is Tim Palmer's excuse.  He is the champion of the
Microsoft cause but writes very poorly.  I thought Outlook had
a built in spell checker. Perhaps that is beyond Tim's
technical abilities.

Post by Mathias Grimmberge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

[M-x snip-typos]

Quote:> --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much time
> geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?   Well..
> rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

Quite a good try at trolling. Congrats.

MGri
--

Eat flaming death, evil Micro$oft mongrels!

Post by Nathaniel Jay Le » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> So, what is Tim Palmer's excuse.  He is the champion of the
> Microsoft cause but writes very poorly.  I thought Outlook had
> a built in spell checker. Perhaps that is beyond Tim's
> technical abilities.

Don't you remember, TIMMAY (South Park Reference) said that he had
already filled up the spell checker's library with mis-spellings.
Pretty damned intelligent I thought.  So he knew how to run the spell
checked, but he apparently didn't like how it corrected him.

Hmm, that seems to happen a lot with people that are convinced of
Windows *utter* superiority.  They really don't like to be corrected.
Until they get everyone thinking like them (apparently even the spell
checker spelling like them) they won't stop.

"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!"

--

Nathaniel Jay Lee

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much
> time geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?
> Well.. rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

All trolling aside, documentation is actually one of the biggest
problems that I've had with Linux as well. Both Mandrake distributions
that I bought had documentation that was pretty amateurishly written
(english was obviously not their first language), including
instructions on how to mount devices that didn't work with an out-of-
the-box install. The Red Hat Unleashed book that came with 6.0 had a
typo in its Hello World listing, which is pretty glaring. Installation
of any free open-source software is usually documented with a readme
file that the person typed themselves (and there aren't many Writing
majors pumping out open-source software these days). And as long as
people keep singing the merits of man pages to newbies, criticism of
their writing style can't be discounted.

Some of this probably has to do with the fact that Linux as a
commercial OS is still just catching on, and the quality of books and
documentation available for newbies is indicative of this...

-ws

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Are Linux people illiterate?

Post by Ciara » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You may also consider that some of the documentation is written
by people for whom english is not their first language. Linux is
an international effort after all. You may want to cut them some
slack.

You may also want to spend some time reading the Win32 platform
SDK documentation... hardy a paragon of literary excellence IMHO.

Cheers,
Ciaran

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

Heh heh.  I just read that one of the things the new W2K SP1 does is
correct the spelling of "Microsoft" in a number of pop-up dialogs.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Post by 1$Wort » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

> From http://www.veryComputer.com/

> "The bilt in Linux firewall..."

> "...new firewall utility with more feachers"

> How is this for an incomplete sentence including typos!

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> "Because most distributions don't dome with a kernel usefull to your
> perpose."

> Or this;

> "You need to turning off any unneeded services."

> "This script will count ever packet"

> And the printed book "Running Linux" (3rd Edition mind you) has typos..

> Check page 47, "If this is the cas, it should be explicity stated on
> the package"

> --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much time
> geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?   Well..
> rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

Soory if we canyt spelkl, wer can't affortd spell chekers you kow.
Rather than calling every Linux user a bunch of retards why don't you
politely point out the errors to the above sources rather than appearing
to be incapable of human compassion and without the possession of a
developed natural neural net. Back under your bridge you * boy.

Post by Mike Mario » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Your punctuation needs work.  Also, the phrase "you all" is redundant,
> unless you're from the southern U.S.

No, no, no.  The correct spelling in the south would be y'all. :P

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
UNIX - live it,love it,fork() it !

Post by Ray Chaso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much
>> time geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?
>> Well.. rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

>All trolling aside, documentation is actually one of the biggest
>problems that I've had with Linux as well. Both Mandrake distributions
>that I bought had documentation that was pretty amateurishly written
>(english was obviously not their first language),

Mandrake is based in France IIRC.

Quote:>including
>instructions on how to mount devices that didn't work with an out-of-
>the-box install. The Red Hat Unleashed book that came with 6.0 had a
>typo in its Hello World listing, which is pretty glaring. Installation
>of any free open-source software is usually documented with a readme
>file that the person typed themselves (and there aren't many Writing
>majors pumping out open-source software these days). And as long as
>people keep singing the merits of man pages to newbies, criticism of
>their writing style can't be discounted.

One of the subthreads in this group ran to the effect of "I'm not a
programmer -- how do you expect *me* to contribute to open source
software?"  I suppose one way is to WTFM.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

Post by bme.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

Oh my. The world will end.

Quote:>From http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-5.html

From the same HOWTO, right from the very start:

   1.1 Feedback

   Any feedback is very welcome. PLEASE REPORT ANY INACCURACIES IN THIS
   PAPER!!! I am human, and prone to making mistakes. If you find a fix
   for anything please send it to me. I will try to answer all e-mail,
   but I am busy, so don't get insulted if I don't.

(oh, and you missed some of the more interesting mistakes in the section
you looked at --- problems with the distinction between singular and plural,
and the associated verb forms.

However, here is an interesting fact --- I set up a firewall a few days
ago. I worked through most of that HOWTO (albeit a slightly older version),
because I like understanding what is going on. And you know what? I never
noticed a single typo, missing word or grammatical screwup.
I am quite sure they were there. I am also quite sure that they didn't stop
the HOWTO from fulfilling its purpose, which was to tell me how to set up
a firewall.

Oh, and one more pointer for you:

    http://okcforum.org/~markg/mark/Dyslixics.html

To quote the first line:

                 If you havn't guess yet,    I'M  Dyslexic!

And guess what the Firewall-HOWTO and that page have in common! That's
right --- the author.

Quote:>And the printed book "Running Linux" (3rd Edition mind you) has typos..
>Check page 47, "If this is the cas, it should be explicity stated on
>the package"

My oh my --- you don't read much, do you? You wouldn't believe how many
books come with typos much much worse than that. I remember my then
girlfriend (a dyslexic ;-) asking me to make sense of a passage of her
economy book. Turns out that someone had screwed up the axis designations
on the accompanying diagram, making it completely impossible to understand
what they were trying to say --- unless you were sufficiently well-versed
in maths to take what they *said* and, instead of using the supplied diagram
as illustration, make up your own diagram in your mind and compare it with
what's in the book, thus figuring out what happened.

And you complain about a missing 'e'? Or maybe about the possibly
not-completely-grammatical placing of the adverb?

Quote:>Well..  rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

And example of your own writing. Just in case you can't work it out,
not only did you miss the "I", but you also failed to type the 'n' at
the start of "never".

For some reason I really can't work out, I have this image of a house of
glass in my mind....

Bernie
--
Older man declare war. But it is youth who must fight and die
Herbert Hoover

Are Linux people illiterate?

Post by redty.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Nice try, typical Linux user trying to skirt the issue.. My post is not
Linux Documentation.  If you are posting technical documentation on the
web site, it should be at least readable.  How lame.

> : A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

> That sentance has no verb.

> <snip>

> : --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much
time
>                    ^
> Your punctuation needs work.  Also, the phrase "you all" is redundant,
> unless you're from the southern U.S.

> : geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?
Well..
> : rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

> Maybe you mean "*I* rest my case", unless you're instructing us to
> rest your case for you.

> I'm fairly certain the Linux community doesn't take you seriously.
> The rest of the world doesn't give a rat's ass about the occasional
> typo since they're so prevalent on the internet anyway.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Are Linux people illiterate?

Post by redty.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Nice try, typical Linux user trying to skirt the issue.. My post is not
Linux Documentation.  If you are posting technical documentation on the
web site, it should be at least readable.  How lame.

> <random snips>
> > How is this for an incomplete sentence including typos!

> Use a question mark after all questions, even if they are in
> declarative form.

> > And the printed book "Running Linux" (3rd Edition mind you) has
> typos..

> An ellipsis consists of three spaced periods, with one space before
and
> after each period.  An ellipsis at the end of a sentence includes an
> extra period.  Some style guides omit the spaces.

> > --- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much
> time

> You should never follow a comma with another comma.

> > geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?
Well..

> If you again meant to use an ellipsis as a separator, an ellipsis
> consists of three spaced periods.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Linux illiterate

I am VERY sorry to say that I am linux illiterate.  I own a UNIX shell
account, so I know how to move around and do a few things, but I'd like to
be "fluent" in linux, and get rid of this damn DOS and WIN stuff for good.
I've got a few linux books I'm reading, and I hope to take some classes
somewhere soon.  I heard from a friend that linux is freeware, and I was
very surprised.  Is he right about that?  If so where can I download it,
and see how it runs on my system?  I also heard that it takes up about 400
megs to get the full install.  If you know where to D\L linux from, or
preferably if you know where I can call to get a copy of it, please
respond and let me know.  I'm also interested on information on Slackware
and Big Red Hat.  I heard a little about them from Comdex, but I'd like to
know more.  If you can help please, feel free to fill up my young
vulnerable mind with linux, before I am brainwashed by all of the MS

Thanks, Adam
Adam Brooks                    |    Visit my web sites at:
Advanced Technologies Academy  |      http://coyote.accessnv.com/fmathews/
Systems Technology Support     |      http://coyote.accessnv.com/fmathews/

2. Killing all children/grandchildren?

3. Complete Unix Illiterate

4. Help with soundcard

5. "Mother" == "computer-illiterate"

6. Apache help

7. Complete Unix Illiterate

8. S3 3D/2X AGP Card?

9. My users are "illiterate!"

10. Unix illiterate here

12. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...