A patchy patch for Microsofts already patched-up Outlook

A patchy patch for Microsofts already patched-up Outlook

Post by Matthew Gardine » Fri, 04 May 2001 01:00:00

After Microsoft release the patch, they felt rather proud of their
achievement, funny enough, the patch is patchy, surprise surprise?

Matthew Gardiner

A patchy patch for Microsofts already patched-up Outlook

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Fri, 04 May 2001 07:41:43

Also months ago.

Quote:> After Microsoft release the patch, they felt rather proud of their

Post by Matthew Gardine » Fri, 04 May 2001 11:34:48

> Also months ago.

>> After Microsoft release the patch, they felt rather proud of their
>> achievement, funny enough, the patch is patchy, surprise surprise?

>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/18679.html

>> Matthew Gardiner

Yet how many end-lusers actually upgrade/patch their installation of
Windows, very few.  Need I use the example of a zdnet article  that
mentioned how "great" the Windows update feature was, and the number of
people who didn't know about it (as shown by the number of responses)! the
icon in the start menu is sticking out like a sore thumb! how could some
one miss it? or does the statement ,"90% of lusers are complete and utter
morons" have a grain of truth in it.

Matthew Gardiner

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 06 May 2001 21:00:59

Quote:> After Microsoft release the patch, they felt rather proud of their
> achievement, funny enough, the patch is patchy, surprise surprise?

> Matthew Gardiner

If you subscribe to bugtraq you will see just how often Microsoft
have to release patches to their previous security bug patches. So
much for regression testing.

Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW in 2000. An infamous record.
The worst offending app? IIS. It isn't looking any better this year
either.

A patchy patch for Microsofts already patched-up Outlook

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 06 May 2001 21:11:33

Quote:> Also months ago.

2nd May. You really do have problems with the simplest of things
don't you. The register is a uk site and uses the international
standard for dates: dd/mm/yyyy. The fact that the US do it arse
about face is not our problem.

>> After Microsoft release the patch, they felt rather proud of their
>> achievement, funny enough, the patch is patchy, surprise surprise?

>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/18679.html

>> Matthew Gardiner

1. How to patch an already patched file?

Hello,
I didn't see any responses to this, so I'll try again.

I want to patch my kernel, but it's already patched with one or two extras.
The patches don't take if the files have already been touched once -i.e.
line nos. are different.

How do I make patch understand I want to patch a file a second time?

Rachel

 --
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia

         "When the revolution comes, I will be shot by both sides"

2. How to set a modem to AA mode from an RS/6000?

3. How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?

4. Apache SSI Includes not working

5. Patches, patches and more patches

6. how can i get "rsh host1 myapp" to dump core?

7. Patches Patches Patches

8. RedHat 4.1, PPP & normal users

9. Patches, Patches, Patches

10. M$ makes an ATTEMPT at patching Outlook

11. gcc 2.8.1 already patched wanted

12. PatchPro downloading already installed patches

13. patchadd problems with lots of patches already installed