Workplace Shell for Linux?

Post by Julian Reg » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

  Although not an OS/2 user, I have played around with it and was
really impressed with the power of the Workplace Shell. I liked the
object oriented approach and ability to customise nearly every object.

 I've also seen FVWM95 for Linux and thought, "Has anyone created a
WPS for Linux?". There are a couple of issues that I'm not sure about:
The WPS uses IBMs SOM object technology. Is there anything comparable
for Linux? I've read references to GNUstep but don't know whether
that's the same thing (although NeXTstep uses the PDO object model).
Is there any chance that such a product as xwps might someday exist?

Jules

Workplace Shell for Linux?

Post by L. Flin » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>  Although not an OS/2 user, I have played around with it and was
>really impressed with the power of the Workplace Shell. I liked the
>object oriented approach and ability to customise nearly every object.

> I've also seen FVWM95 for Linux and thought, "Has anyone created a
>WPS for Linux?". There are a couple of issues that I'm not sure about:
>The WPS uses IBMs SOM object technology. Is there anything comparable
>for Linux? I've read references to GNUstep but don't know whether
>that's the same thing (although NeXTstep uses the PDO object model).
>Is there any chance that such a product as xwps might someday exist?

IBM should do it.  (And it might be a good UI for AIX and OS/400 as well.
There is great potential there.)