Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by John Cullet » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 06:09:01

I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

Is there some sort of denial of service attack on Microsoft hosts
right now?
I can't even use ftp. Anone who is interested please try to sign on
(this message is as of 11:07 EST Thursday March 27.)

John Culleton

Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:15:15

> I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
> they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
> to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

> Is there some sort of denial of service attack on Microsoft hosts right
> now?
> I can't even use ftp. Anone who is interested please try to sign on
> (this message is as of 11:07 EST Thursday March 27.)

> John Culleton

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:18:24 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

Why would you even run apache on Win32?  Are they using Win98 for
webservers?

Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by Daero » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:44:33

>> I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
>> they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
>> to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

>> Is there some sort of denial of service attack on Microsoft hosts right
>> now?
>> I can't even use ftp. Anone who is interested please try to sign on
>> (this message is as of 11:07 EST Thursday March 27.)

>> John Culleton
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:18:24 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

>Why would you even run apache on Win32?  Are they using Win98 for
>webservers?

I can browse wexfordpress.com at  17:45 GMT  from London.
The time on the main web page is 12:42:51 est/edt

Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by John Cullet » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:57:33

> > I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
> > they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
> > to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

> > Is there some sort of denial of service attack on Microsoft hosts right
> > now?
> > I can't even use ftp. Anone who is interested please try to sign on
> > (this message is as of 11:07 EST Thursday March 27.)

> > John Culleton
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:18:24 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

> Why would you even run apache on Win32?  Are they using Win98 for
> webservers?

I know that my web host Doteasy.com uses some flavor of MS because
they mention the need for periodic disk defragging. I assume they are
using IIS or whatever the name of that MS server is. I have a Linux
Slackware 8.1 system at home.

The message you see above is inserted by Google, or by your server. I
have Win98 just as a dustcatcher. I seldom use it. I post online using
Google.

Anyhow the interruption was brief and Doteasy admits to having a
problem with one of their servers.

No further action is needed.

John Culleton

Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:53:06

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Culleton

 wrote
on 28 Mar 2003 11:57:33 -0800

>> > I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
>> > they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
>> > to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

>> > Is there some sort of denial of service attack on Microsoft hosts right
>> > now?
>> > I can't even use ftp. Anone who is interested please try to sign on
>> > (this message is as of 11:07 EST Thursday March 27.)

>> > John Culleton
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:18:24 GMT
>> Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

>> Why would you even run apache on Win32?  Are they using Win98 for
>> webservers?

> I know that my web host Doteasy.com uses some flavor of MS because

Confirmed.

$ telnet doteasy.com 80
Trying 209.153.212.111...
Connected to doteasy.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 04:45:59 GMT
Page-Completion-Status: Normal
Page-Completion-Status: Normal
Page-Completion-Status: Normal
Set-Cookie: DOTEASYIMPLANTEDAFFILIATEID=; path=/;

[rest snipped for brevity]
Whatever that host is doing, though, it's a bit screwed up.

Quote:> they mention the need for periodic disk defragging. I assume they are

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by A. Randy Do » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:29:38

> > I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
> > they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
> > to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

> > John Culleton
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:18:24 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

> Why would you even run apache on Win32?  Are they using Win98 for
> webservers?

Just out of curiosity, why WOULDN'T you run Apache on Windows?  I'd
much rather run Apache than IIS.  I only run IIS when absolutely
necessary, typically when a client has a large amount of legacy .asp
files using VB.

Is my Microsoft host down?

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 03:26:29

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, A. Randy Dood

 wrote
on 29 Mar 2003 12:29:38 -0800

>> > I use doteasy.com to host my site http://wexfordpress.com. I note that
>> > they have both Microsoft and Linux servers. Right now I cannot connect
>> > to my own web page although obviously I can connect elswehere.

>> > John Culleton
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:18:24 GMT
>> Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

>> Why would you even run apache on Win32?  Are they using Win98 for
>> webservers?

> Just out of curiosity, why WOULDN'T you run Apache on Windows?  I'd
> much rather run Apache than IIS.  I only run IIS when absolutely
> necessary, typically when a client has a large amount of legacy .asp
> files using VB.

It would be better to run Apache on Linux, but for a temporary
solution Apache on Windows works reasonably well for low-traffic
stuff.

I for one can't speak regarding high-traffic stuff. :-)

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

1. what happens when using syslog.conf @host and host is down???

to another host and was wondering if anybody knows what happens when
the other host is down? (and I don't want to keep a local copy too if
at all possible - very large logs).

i.e. does it try to at least queue some of them or does it sense its
down and put them in the local syslog or are they trashed to the bit
bucket?

i want to test it but only way I can think of is to temporarily yank
out the network wires and we're in production mode...

        thanx,
                fish
--
            we know and we understand, mighty god is a living man
                    you can fool some people, some times,

2. Httpd daemon for Linux 2.x

3. Shutting down host A hangs host B using Tulip driver

4. Modem/Network Adapter/Disk Drive Linux Compatability

5. HELP ME IF YOU CAN I AM FEELING DOWN...

6. remote printing: lpr: connection refused

7. I am tired of being duped by Microsoft

8. Problems with News-Server

9. I am k00l, coz I use Linux (man, get a life) [Was: Boycott Microsoft!!!]

10. Am I logged in from a Microsoft Windows PC?

11. OT: Microsoft goes down

12. Linux throws down the gauntlet to Microsoft and opens up server market

13. Computerworld: Feeling let down by Microsoft