Operating System Failures

Post by Malinda Klei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a graduate student who is writing a paper on an operating system
failure.  I must identify and discuss a genuine case where a
technological flaw in the OS resulted in loss or complete failure.

Can anyone recommend such a case?  Anyone seen articles on this?

Operating System Failures

Post by Brent Metzle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You are posting to the wrong group.  I would recommend
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy :-)

--
-Brent

Post by Marco Angles » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm a graduate student who is writing a paper on an operating system
>failure.  I must identify and discuss a genuine case where a
>technological flaw in the OS resulted in loss or complete failure.

>Can anyone recommend such a case?  Anyone seen articles on this?

It's not an operating system (as kernel) flaw per se, but a nice, juicy,
well-documented and widespread system vulnerablility was exploited in the
Internet Worm fiasco (c. 1988?).

Best of luck,

marco

>            Marco Anglesio            |      It's more than magnificent;     <

>     http://www.the-wire.com/~mpa     |            --Samuel Goldwyn          <

Operating System Failures

Post by Jim » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:53:10 -0600, "Brent Metzler"

>> You are posting to the wrong group.  I would recommend
>> comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy :-)

>> --
>> -Brent

>> >I'm a graduate student who is writing a paper on an operating system
>> >failure.  I must identify and discuss a genuine case where a
>> >technological flaw in the OS resulted in loss or complete failure.

>> >Can anyone recommend such a case?  Anyone seen articles on this?

>But why are you using Microsoft Outlook Express?

>I knew you were using Outlook Express because your reply was above the
>question, and not where Netiquette suggests it should be, below (more
>readable that way).

>As to the original question, search Deja-News for the many threads on
>the Yorktown failure. (A sailor entered a 0 (zero) into a database,
>the database tried to divide by zero, this crashed the entire computer
>system on the Yorktown (running Windoze NT) and the boat was dead in
>the water - or so the story goes).

While you are at it, you might want to search for some FACTUAL information
in other than the news groups.  If you want reasonable, public information,
try searching the web sites for:

  PC week
  Information week
  Electronic Engineering Times

There are many other trade publications that could also provide you with
some clues.  Most are owned by CMP, Ziff Davis (ZD) and Meckler.

Most of the information supplied in newsgroups are fictional at best and
an outright fantasy at worst.  Also there are many web sites that just
republish the fiction, thereby making the fiction, "fact".

BTW - ALL (repeat ALL) OSes fail at one time or another due to design
flaws.  There is no way to build a foolproof, fully functional OS.  Even
some of the very simple, real-time, supercritical OSes I have worked with
occasionally blow up.  That's just the way it works.

If you get out of the advocacy groups and go to where the OS designers
reside, they can tell you how to kill any OS.

Have fun,

Jim G.

P.S.  Most companies will never admit they had a problem, so the information
you seek may be hard to get.

1. Real operating systems, toy operating systems

You managed to contradict yourself in the span of three sentences.

I see, you're trying to rationalize the OS/2 PPC support by saying it was
really for the hardware, not the software.  Typical wriggling and squirming.

Irrelevant; ongoing support doesn't require a current product offering, and
that was hardware, not software.

2. noauth not working..??

3. 2.5 kernel hangs system

4. The failure of the "Be" operating system

5. Need help for installing RedHat 7 via FTP

6. Detecting remote systems operating system

7. Need help on CD-ROM AZTECH CDA 668-01I IDE

8. Solid Unix Operating System to learn System Administrator principles

9. Does any Know How To FTP between a Unix system and a Non Unix operating system.

10. System V Release 4.1 Operating System Education

11. Operating System Packages (TCP/IP, File System, Clists)

12. Does AIX operating system run on Intel X86 based systems?