Milestone reached for Linux Audio

Post by Darre » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:12:52

Heads up, flatfish -

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/02/09/26/1131225.shtml?tid=6

Quote:
"A significant milestone has been reached for the Linux Audio Community.
With the release of quicktoot  number 8, no longer can users of other
OS's complain about the lack of programs needed to create a professional
digital audio work environment. This is more than just your average
tutorial for using an application. This represents the advanced status
of the Jack Audio Connection Kit system. JACK is the Linux Audio
Developers answer to Core Audio. The product of cooperation between the
most advanced coders in the Linux audio community. Using it allows the
user to connect any number of JACK aware applications in realtime
without sound dropouts. It is tested on the job in professional studios
throughout the world and has been proven effective in multitrack (more
than 24 hardware inputs) recording sessions."

Milestone reached for Linux Audio

SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:05:13

> Heads up, flatfish -

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Quote:
> "A significant milestone has been reached for the Linux Audio Community.
> With the release of quicktoot  number 8, no longer can users of other
> OS's complain about the lack of programs needed to create a professional
> digital audio work environment. This is more than just your average
> tutorial for using an application. This represents the advanced status
> of the Jack Audio Connection Kit system. JACK is the Linux Audio
> Developers answer to Core Audio. The product of cooperation between the
> most advanced coders in the Linux audio community. Using it allows the
> user to connect any number of JACK aware applications in realtime
> without sound dropouts. It is tested on the job in professional studios
> throughout the world and has been proven effective in multitrack (more
> than 24 hardware inputs) recording sessions."

Something that can easily be done under Windows with the software that comes
with the typical audio card.

Have you read what's involved in making this cluster* work?

FWIW I'd be happy if I could get my Delta 1010 to play an mp3 file without
getting clicks and ticks in the stream when doing anything video, like
selecting a new group in pan or loading a page with Opera.

Next....

Milestone reached for Linux Audio

Post by rapska » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:33:06

Error log for Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:05:13 +0000, segfault in module
"flatfish+++": dump details are as follows...

Quote:> FWIW I'd be happy if I could get my Delta 1010 to play an mp3 file
> without getting clicks and ticks in the stream when doing anything
> video, like selecting a new group in pan or loading a page with Opera.

I do this and a whole lot more all of the time while playing mp3's and
movies without a single hiccup or dropout.

Then again, I'm using a custom compiled kernel with low latency applied
and the outstanding alsa sound subsystem.  Perhaps you could look into
that?

Have you also considered standard system feedback?  Try dropping your card
to the lowest PCI port in your system (away from the PS, HDD and CPU).
That may help a bit.

--
rapskat -  12:27pm  up 2 days, 19:59,  1 user,  load average: 1.67, 1.81, 1.86
CPU states:  1.1% user,  1.1% system,  0.0% nice,  1.2% idle

There's another way to survive.  Mutual trust -- and help.
                -- Kirk, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:16:32

> SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

Bwwwwaaaaaa!

Post by Darre » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:15:34

> SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

You're an idiot - this DAW work has *nothing* to do with Soundblaster16.

You weren't supposed to quit school after the 3rd grade, so go back to
class and get your 4th grade diploma now.

Milestone reached for Linux Audio

Post by kerk » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:52:08

Quote:> SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

I think what you really mean is a "mile" of "stoned" pot-smoking Linux
hippies.

LOL

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:05:21

>> SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

> You're an idiot - this DAW work has *nothing* to do with Soundblaster16.

> You weren't supposed to quit school after the 3rd grade, so go back to
> class and get your 4th grade diploma now.

It has to do with multiple applications accessing the sound device at the
same time and the routing of the signals.

Big deal.

The software included with the Soundblasters have been able to do this fro
years.

Post by flatfish++ » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:17:19

> Error log for Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:05:13 +0000, segfault in module
> "flatfish+++": dump details are as follows...

>> FWIW I'd be happy if I could get my Delta 1010 to play an mp3 file
>> without getting clicks and ticks in the stream when doing anything
>> video, like selecting a new group in pan or loading a page with Opera.

> I do this and a whole lot more all of the time while playing mp3's and
> movies without a single hiccup or dropout.

> Then again, I'm using a custom compiled kernel with low latency applied
> and the outstanding alsa sound subsystem.  Perhaps you could look into
> that?

I'm working on it but it's a nightmare having to do all of this just to use
a professional level soundcard.

http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/guide/lowlat/

BTW alsa is a kludge of a system, it really is, but if I can get it to work
I'll be happy.

At least it finally sees the card because prior to .9x the card was
supposedly supported but most people couldn't get it to work.

Quote:> Have you also considered standard system feedback?  Try dropping your card
> to the lowest PCI port in your system (away from the PS, HDD and CPU).
> That may help a bit.

First thing I did.
I even tried forcing an irq to the card.

Post by EG » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:48:15

>> SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

> You're an idiot - this DAW work has *nothing* to do with Soundblaster16.

> You weren't supposed to quit school after the 3rd grade, so go back to
> class and get your 4th grade diploma now.

When they said recycling works they didn't mean your little book of
comebacks. Turd.

Post by Darre » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:28:46

>>>SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

>>You're an idiot - this DAW work has *nothing* to do with Soundblaster16.

>>You weren't supposed to quit school after the 3rd grade, so go back to
>>class and get your 4th grade diploma now.

> When they said recycling works they didn't mean your little book of
> comebacks. Turd.

Why should I bother to use a different comeback for you as opposed to
any other Wintrolling idiot?? You're not worth the effort.

Besides, if you know anything about systems programming, you should know
all about the concept of 'code reuse'.

Post by EG » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:49:51

>>>You're an idiot - this DAW work has *nothing* to do with Soundblaster16.

>>>You weren't supposed to quit school after the 3rd grade, so go back to
>>>class and get your 4th grade diploma now.

>> When they said recycling works they didn't mean your little book of
>> comebacks. Turd.

> Why should I bother to use a different comeback for you as opposed to
> any other Wintrolling idiot?? You're not worth the effort.

> Besides, if you know anything about systems programming, you should know
> all about the concept of 'code reuse'.

Which brand of masking tape do you hold your glasses together with? Turd.

Post by Donn Mille » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 06:59:06

>>SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

> Bwwwwaaaaaa!

Well, 2.4.19 *does* support my ESS Allegro 1.  Don't know if midi works
or not, though.  I'd like to find out if anyone else has this.  It's
basically the same as the ESS Maestro 3.

Post by GreyClou » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 07:35:20

> SoundBlaster 16 now recognized. Woohoo, spread the joy people!

That one was recognized by Redhat 5.2 a long time ago.

Post by Donn Mille » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 07:50:35

> It has to do with multiple applications accessing the sound device at the
> same time and the routing of the signals.

> Big deal.

> The software included with the Soundblasters have been able to do this fro
> years.

Isn't this something esd can handle?  I just tried esd recently.
Although I like the idea of multiple apps being able to access /dev/dsp,
I really don't need anything other than one sound source at one time.