Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

Post by Jeff M. Garz » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

The message quoted below is a message I found on comp.os.linux.announce
(in case you missed it).

All I can say is:  wow

*This* is the way computer hardware manufacturers should sell products.
This is a company that is saying "I'm proud to support Linux, and we
think it is such a quality platform that we are offering a fully
supported driver to customers."

One of the greatest things that hampers Linux's popularity in the
business community is that it is, in effect, an operating system
supported by volunteers.  You and I like this, but it doesn't make
the OS look reliable to the Boys Upstairs:  "Ok Jeff, let me get this
straight.  You want me to save a couple hundred bucks [vs. Solaris
x86] and place mission-critical data under the watchful eye of an
operating system supported by friendly people in their spare time?
Now you're wasting *my* time, Jeff."

However, if a manager can see a company is strongly backing a product on
the Linux platform, it makes him more comfortable with using Linux on a
regular basis.  As managers become more comfortable with Linux at a
corporate level, more hardware and software companies will be attracted
to Linux, which will in turn attract the positive interest of more
managers.  Through it all Linux continues to gain popularity.

The next cycle is beginning, folks.  Jump on the bandwagon and go Linux.

        Jeff

--
Jeff M. Garzik                          |

Home page: http://www.wwwi.com/~jgarzik |

1. Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

Hi,
[...]

                                                        - Ted

2. Point-of-sales packages for UNIX?

3. Anyone using COMTROL RocketPort 8 port Intelligent serial boards?

4. ERROR COMPILING netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

5. RocketPort serial boards by Comtrol

6. Does f77 v1.4 work under Solaris 2.x?

7. Comtrol Rocketport 4J Serial Board w/Linux

8. Need graPHIGS example program

9. FS: Comtrol Rocketport 32 port board

10. FS: COMTROL's RocketPort Multiport Serial Card

11. FS/T Comtrol rocketport serial

12. Intelligent multiport serial: Cyclades or Comtrol?