Newbie Question

Post by Shrira » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

I have a question

I have an old 486 that I have Wi 98 and Office 98 installed on.  The
performance when surfing is really bad.  I would like to test Linux by
making a partition and installing Linux and a linux browser just for
surfing.

How do I do this, what version of Linux should I use, what browser, how
do I install it with a partition etc.

BTW is this an idea worth trying.

Thanks

Shriram

Newbie Question

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have an old 486 that I have Wi 98 and Office 98 installed on.  The
>performance when surfing is really bad.  I would like to test Linux by
>making a partition and installing Linux and a linux browser just for
>surfing.

Be forewarned that the Linux version of Netscape 4.x is a memory hog.  I'd
suggest 64M of RAM for good performance.  You may want to wait for Opera for
Linux.

Dave Cook

Newbie Question

Post by F » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi

>I have a question

>I have an old 486 that I have Wi 98 and Office 98 installed on.  The
>performance when surfing is really bad.  I would like to test Linux by
>making a partition and installing Linux and a linux browser just for
>surfing.

>How do I do this, what version of Linux should I use, what browser, how
>do I install it with a partition etc.

>BTW is this an idea worth trying.

Probably not. Unless you would be happy with lynx, text-mode browser,
Netscape/X on linux won't be much faster than Netscape on Windows. While proper
HTML generally looks fine on lynx, a large portion of the web doesn't.

Btw, does Office 97/Win98 really run on a 486?

Dan.

Newbie Question

Post by JUST4GIG » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

you must be kiddong

Newbie Question

Post by Shauna and Coli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you've got fairly standard hardware try down loading the QNX boot disk.  It's
pretty impressive for one disk.

Kawlyn

> >I have an old 486 that I have Wi 98 and Office 98 installed on.  The
> >performance when surfing is really bad.  I would like to test Linux by
> >making a partition and installing Linux and a linux browser just for
> >surfing.

> Be forewarned that the Linux version of Netscape 4.x is a memory hog.  I'd
> suggest 64M of RAM for good performance.  You may want to wait for Opera for
> Linux.

> Dave Cook

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. Sun Solaris & Certificates

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. XFree86-3.3.2.3 Installation Woes

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. Embedded Hardware (VME & cPCI) FREE to non-profit home or cheap to others

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

8. etherboot and FB3.4 or FB4.0

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.