Why the ppp over modem in linux slow?

Post by Dionyshs Papadopoul » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi .I just installed linux(debbian 1.3.1) after a long run in win95
 and os/2
I have the following problem:
i get 3k/sec maximum speed in ftp of ZIP files using ppp
over a 28.8 modem connection
I get 0.3KB/sec more in all other system i use ppp
Is there something i can do to have the 3.3KBytes/sec
or there is a bug in linux ppp?(i heard several other people
having max 3k/sec with 28.8K connection).
  If it is a bug it a MAJOR BUG and must become #1
priority of linux developers as 0.3KB/sec les means about
2MB/hour less than the other systems

1. Why is linux ppp so slow???

I finally got my ppp to work with SuSE 5.3 and KDE, but when using
netscape i find it so slow as compared to win95/winnt, also I cannot
open any othe aplications once i've started my ppp connection.
Can anyone suggestt why this is happenning?

Thank's for your help.

2. analyzing tcpdump traffic

3. fast-->slow ppp link; talk to modem while ppp running

4. DNS spoofing

5. MODEM PROBS: windows - fast, linux - slow WHY!!!

6. send mail is going to kill me,

7. why my modem is so slow under linux

8. Bootp for 2.2 (or 2.3)

9. Can't ppp w/ courier, can chat, can ppp w/ slow modem

10. Extremely slow win95->ethernet->linux->(modem PPP) connection.

11. Why is the PPP server so slow?

12. PPP slow on telnet and rlogin.. why??

13. why my ppp connection is so slow???