Help. Need filesystem advice please.

Post by David Benni » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:49:42

Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.

Useful info
Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
Filesystem: ext3
Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
Previously had Mandrake 8.0

This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite
painful.  I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It
tells me that the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose
data.  And we go through the fsck and it changes stuff.

I lost a tar file containing a pristine .tgz of Windows98 partition (I
still boot to that to watch DVDs occasionally, and when it louses
itself up -- I would roll it back using the tar file so I didn't have
to spend 10 hours reinstalling.  It tooks 3 minutes instead).

Anyway, that file was painful to lose.

Latest I lost some files in the kdelibs rpm package.  (something went
corrupted and so no kde program would run without immediately
crashing).  I tried to fix them by doing an rpm -Uvh -replacepkgs and
it gave me a wierd error that it couldn't unlink one of the associated
files -- even though it wasn't in use and I was root.  So I rebooted,
ran an fsck it said "you'll lose data" -- I said "ok" and it did it.
When the machine came back, I tried the rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs again
and it succeeded and I can run KDE programs again.

What gives?  I don't know every single thing to know about a file
system, but this is definately getting old and I definately have data
that I don't want to lose (needless to say I'll be backing it up to CD
pronto).

I am planning on rebuilding this machine from scratch (I figured I'd
delay until Mandrake 8.2 comes out though because it's so close).
When I do should I bag ext3?  Has there been fixes made since the
release of Mandrake 8.1?  Should I go back to ext2 and live without
the Journal?

IBM's JFS is starting to look really good right now.  I know that
there are people out there who swear by ResierFS.

Please help me through this unreliability crisis.  :)

David.

Post by jacar.. » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:16:30

> Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.

> Useful info
> Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
> Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
> OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
> Filesystem: ext3
> Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
> Previously had Mandrake 8.0

> This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite
> painful.  I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It
> tells me that the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose
> data.  And we go through the fsck and it changes stuff.

> I lost a tar file containing a pristine .tgz of Windows98 partition (I
> still boot to that to watch DVDs occasionally, and when it louses
> itself up -- I would roll it back using the tar file so I didn't have
> to spend 10 hours reinstalling.  It tooks 3 minutes instead).

> Anyway, that file was painful to lose.

> Latest I lost some files in the kdelibs rpm package.  (something went
> corrupted and so no kde program would run without immediately
> crashing).  I tried to fix them by doing an rpm -Uvh -replacepkgs and
> it gave me a wierd error that it couldn't unlink one of the associated
> files -- even though it wasn't in use and I was root.  So I rebooted,
> ran an fsck it said "you'll lose data" -- I said "ok" and it did it.
> When the machine came back, I tried the rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs again
> and it succeeded and I can run KDE programs again.

> What gives?  I don't know every single thing to know about a file
> system, but this is definately getting old and I definately have data
> that I don't want to lose (needless to say I'll be backing it up to CD
> pronto).

> I am planning on rebuilding this machine from scratch (I figured I'd
> delay until Mandrake 8.2 comes out though because it's so close).
> When I do should I bag ext3?  Has there been fixes made since the
> release of Mandrake 8.1?  Should I go back to ext2 and live without
> the Journal?

> IBM's JFS is starting to look really good right now.  I know that
> there are people out there who swear by ResierFS.

> Please help me through this unreliability crisis.  :)

> David.

I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to skip the
fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine would go through
the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs and should be avoided.
Then again, I think linux should be avioded as well.  There was also
somthing about someone getting a trashed disk because of hdparm in here.
But when you run beta apps you get beta results.

Post by jackso » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:53:14

> I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to skip
> the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine would
> go through the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs and
> should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded as well.
> There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed disk because of
> hdparm in here. But when you run beta apps you get beta results.

You're a liar. There is nothing at all buggy about ext3

http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/

But there is something buggy about W2K, a lot buggy, something on the
order of 30,000 bugs and issues by Microsoft's own admission. Judging by my own
experience with it (which is substantial) I suggest you busy yourself
fixing the code in M$ products rather waste your time here as a paid M$
hack. Typical, they'll spend money on worthless fud-spreading posters
rather than fix their own code. Why???? BECAUSE IT CAN'T BE FIXED. IT'S
HOPELESS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/support/issues/default.asp

Help. Need filesystem advice please.

Post by Johan Lindquis » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:00:33

Sat, 09 Mar 2002 at 19:16 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

Quote:> I had some problems with ext3 also. I thought ext3 was suppose to
> skip the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state? But mine
> would go through the same long fsck also. I think ext3 has some bugs
> and should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded
> as well. There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed
> disk because of hdparm in here.

I think you are a lying sack of animal waste products who wouldn't
know a file system if it bit you in your huge, bloated, kfc-inflated
arse. But that's just my opinion. Others might think otherwise, just
like I think otherwise than you do when it comes to ext3 and linux.

cheers,

     /Johan

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  7:40pm  up 7 days,  8:32,  4 users,  load average: 1.75, 1.84, 1.79

Post by jacar.. » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:09:06

> > I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to skip
> > the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine would
> > go through the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs and
> > should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded as well.
> > There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed disk because of
> > hdparm in here. But when you run beta apps you get beta results.

> You're a liar. There is nothing at all buggy about ext3

> http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/

Really?  Take a look here...

Post by yt.. » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:10:07

>> I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to skip
>> the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine would
>> go through the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs and
>> should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded as well.
>> There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed disk because of
>> hdparm in here. But when you run beta apps you get beta results.
> You're a liar. There is nothing at all buggy about ext3

Youre a complete *ing idiot if you honestly believe ANYTHING that redhat
tells you.

I have been using reiserfs since it was available in modular form.  I tried
XFS and JFS, AND ext3, and out of all of them, JFS comes close to the performance
I expect from a reiserfs system.

ext3 was nearly as slow as ext2.  Theres no reason in the world to use ext3 while
there are far, far better journaled filesystems available for linux.

You are a moron with minimal computer experience, and you need to shut the
* up.

Thanks in advance,

love,

-----.

--
Theres a hole in the world like a great black pit and
its filled with people who are filled with shit and the

Post by yt.. » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:13:53

>>Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.

>>Useful info
>>Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
>>Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
>>OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
>>Filesystem: ext3
>>Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
>>Previously had Mandrake 8.0

>>This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite
>>painful.  I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It
>>tells me that the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose
>>data.  And we go through the fsck and it changes stuff.

>>I lost a tar file containing a pristine .tgz of Windows98 partition (I
>>still boot to that to watch DVDs occasionally, and when it louses
>>itself up -- I would roll it back using the tar file so I didn't have
>>to spend 10 hours reinstalling.  It tooks 3 minutes instead).

>>Anyway, that file was painful to lose.

>>Latest I lost some files in the kdelibs rpm package.  (something went
>>corrupted and so no kde program would run without immediately
>>crashing).  I tried to fix them by doing an rpm -Uvh -replacepkgs and
>>it gave me a wierd error that it couldn't unlink one of the associated
>>files -- even though it wasn't in use and I was root.  So I rebooted,
>>ran an fsck it said "you'll lose data" -- I said "ok" and it did it.
>>When the machine came back, I tried the rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs again
>>and it succeeded and I can run KDE programs again.

>>What gives?  I don't know every single thing to know about a file
>>system, but this is definately getting old and I definately have data
>>that I don't want to lose (needless to say I'll be backing it up to CD
>>pronto).

>>I am planning on rebuilding this machine from scratch (I figured I'd
>>delay until Mandrake 8.2 comes out though because it's so close).
>>When I do should I bag ext3?  Has there been fixes made since the
>>release of Mandrake 8.1?  Should I go back to ext2 and live without
>>the Journal?

>>IBM's JFS is starting to look really good right now.  I know that
>>there are people out there who swear by ResierFS.

>>Please help me through this unreliability crisis.  :)

>>David.
> When you use beta quality applications you get what you deserve.
> On a related note, if Mandrake holds true to form you would be a fool to jump on
> 8.2 until the bug reports start flowing in or you will really have troubles.

Wrong again, gary.  Mandrake *.2 releases have consistently been their most stable
and feature-filled.

-----.

--

Post by yt.. » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:13:12

> Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.
> Useful info
> Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz

Excellent.

Quote:> Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB

Lovely.

Quote:> OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates

Bad.  Redhat-based=shitty; with *updates* (mandrakes automated system no
doubt)=shittier

Quote:> Filesystem: ext3

The second worst journaled filesystem in existence.  If you must have a
journal, use reiser or jfs or xfs or something.

Quote:> Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
> Previously had Mandrake 8.0

Fresh installation=good.

So, it appears that your problem is a combination of the shittyness
that is Redhat, coupled with mandrake's broken update system, tripled
with a terrible implementation of a journaled FS.

-----.

--

Post by Paul Colquhou » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:00:01

| Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.
|
| Useful info
| Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
| Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
| OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
| Filesystem: ext3
| Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
| Previously had Mandrake 8.0
|
| This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite
| painful.  I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It

Do you have a reason for doing this? I recommend *NOT* doing a fsck on
an ext3 file system *UNLESS* the mount process fails, at which point it
will recommend that a fsck be performed.

| tells me that the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose
| data.  And we go through the fsck and it changes stuff.

How do you usually shutdown your system?

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC.    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
     Asking for technical help in newsgroups?  Read this first:

Post by Darre » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:56:01

> Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.

> Useful info
> Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
> Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
> OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
> Filesystem: ext3
> Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
> Previously had Mandrake 8.0

> This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite painful.
> I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It tells me that
> the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose data.  And we go
> through the fsck and it changes stuff.

> I lost a tar file containing a pristine .tgz of Windows98 partition (I
> still boot to that to watch DVDs occasionally, and when it louses itself
> up -- I would roll it back using the tar file so I didn't have to spend
> 10 hours reinstalling.  It tooks 3 minutes instead).

> Anyway, that file was painful to lose.

> Latest I lost some files in the kdelibs rpm package.  (something went
> corrupted and so no kde program would run without immediately crashing).
>  I tried to fix them by doing an rpm -Uvh -replacepkgs and it gave me a
> wierd error that it couldn't unlink one of the associated files -- even
> though it wasn't in use and I was root.  So I rebooted, ran an fsck it
> said "you'll lose data" -- I said "ok" and it did it. When the machine
> came back, I tried the rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs again and it succeeded and
> I can run KDE programs again.

> What gives?  I don't know every single thing to know about a file
> system, but this is definately getting old and I definately have data
> that I don't want to lose (needless to say I'll be backing it up to CD
> pronto).

> I am planning on rebuilding this machine from scratch (I figured I'd
> delay until Mandrake 8.2 comes out though because it's so close). When I
> do should I bag ext3?  Has there been fixes made since the release of
> Mandrake 8.1?  Should I go back to ext2 and live without the Journal?

> IBM's JFS is starting to look really good right now.  I know that there
> are people out there who swear by ResierFS.

> Please help me through this unreliability crisis.  :)

> David.

Stop just turning the machine off .. first - you don't need to turn your
machine off anymore (you just cause more wear and tear on the ICs by
turning the computer off and on all the time.)

If you absolutely feel you must shut the machine off, learn to use the
'halt' or 'shutdown now' commands.

Help. Need filesystem advice please.

Post by Darre » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:57:16

My bet is that David is probably one of your many sock puppets ..

You and I both know that if any OS is 'beta quality', it's MS-Windows
(any version)

Post by Darre » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:06:58

>> Hi fellow Linux advocates.  Need some advice.

>> Useful info
>> Machine: Athlon 750 Mhz
>> Disk: IBM Deskstar 46 GB
>> OS : Linux Mandrake 8.1 with updates
>> Filesystem: ext3
>> Install Path: Fresh installation with format of existing partitions.
>> Previously had Mandrake 8.0

>> This has happened 3 maybe 4 times with two of them being quite painful.
>>  I use tune2fs to force an fsck on my disk on reboot.  It tells me that
>> the drive is in an inconsistent state and I might lose data.  And we go
>> through the fsck and it changes stuff.

>> I lost a tar file containing a pristine .tgz of Windows98 partition (I
>> still boot to that to watch DVDs occasionally, and when it louses
>> itself up -- I would roll it back using the tar file so I didn't have
>> to spend 10 hours reinstalling.  It tooks 3 minutes instead).

>> Anyway, that file was painful to lose.

>> Latest I lost some files in the kdelibs rpm package.  (something went
>> corrupted and so no kde program would run without immediately
>> crashing).  I tried to fix them by doing an rpm -Uvh -replacepkgs and
>> it gave me a wierd error that it couldn't unlink one of the associated
>> files -- even though it wasn't in use and I was root.  So I rebooted,
>> ran an fsck it said "you'll lose data" -- I said "ok" and it did it.
>> When the machine came back, I tried the rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs again
>> and it succeeded and I can run KDE programs again.

>> What gives?  I don't know every single thing to know about a file
>> system, but this is definately getting old and I definately have data
>> that I don't want to lose (needless to say I'll be backing it up to CD
>> pronto).

>> I am planning on rebuilding this machine from scratch (I figured I'd
>> delay until Mandrake 8.2 comes out though because it's so close). When
>> I do should I bag ext3?  Has there been fixes made since the release of
>> Mandrake 8.1?  Should I go back to ext2 and live without the Journal?

>> IBM's JFS is starting to look really good right now.  I know that there
>> are people out there who swear by ResierFS.

>> Please help me through this unreliability crisis.  :)

>> David.

> I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to skip
> the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine would
> go through the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs and
> should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded as well.
> There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed disk because of
> hdparm in here. But when you run beta apps you get beta results.

Flatfish, stop using the friggin sock puppets .. I'm not impressed with
your IP spoofing .. I'm not impressed by your lies and half-truths ..

As for this guy .. he was running tune2fs to FORCE the fsck .. what his
problem sounds like is a harddrive going slowly bad - I had the same
symptoms with a Quantum Bigfoot with MS-Windows98 .. Hard drives do go
bad .. especially when you shut your machine on and off all the time.

Post by Darre » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:13:29

>> > I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to
>> > skip the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine
>> > would go through the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs
>> > and should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded as
>> > well. There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed disk
>> > because of hdparm in here. But when you run beta apps you get beta
>> > results.

>> You're a liar. There is nothing at all buggy about ext3

>> http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/

> Really?  Take a look here...

Yes, really .. you really should look at some of the answers to the
problems people are claiming to have .. For most every person claiming
there's a problem with Ext3, there are 10 replies from people with
contradictory experience.

Post by Darre » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:02:35

>>> I had some problems with ext3 also.  I thought ext3 was suppose to
>>> skip the fsck becuase it continuously saves the disk state?  But mine
>>> would go through the same long fsck also.  I think ext3 has some bugs
>>> and should be avoided. Then again, I think linux should be avioded as
>>> well. There was also somthing about someone getting a trashed disk
>>> because of hdparm in here. But when you run beta apps you get beta
>>> results.

>> You're a liar. There is nothing at all buggy about ext3

> Youre a complete *ing idiot if you honestly believe ANYTHING that
> redhat tells you.

> I have been using reiserfs since it was available in modular form.  I
> tried XFS and JFS, AND ext3, and out of all of them, JFS comes close to
> the performance I expect from a reiserfs system.

> ext3 was nearly as slow as ext2.  Theres no reason in the world to use
> ext3 while there are far, far better journaled filesystems available for
> linux.

> You are a moron with minimal computer experience, and you need to shut
> the * up.

> Thanks in advance,

> love,

I must disagree with your evaluation of the ext3 v ReiserFS evaluation -
if you'll be so kind as to peruse the 2nd part of the Linux Maximus series
of articles, you'll see why:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by yt.. » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:03:02

>>> You're a liar. There is nothing at all buggy about ext3

>> Youre a complete *ing idiot if you honestly believe ANYTHING that
>> redhat tells you.

>> I have been using reiserfs since it was available in modular form.  I
>> tried XFS and JFS, AND ext3, and out of all of them, JFS comes close to
>> the performance I expect from a reiserfs system.

>> ext3 was nearly as slow as ext2.  Theres no reason in the world to use
>> ext3 while there are far, far better journaled filesystems available for
>> linux.

>> You are a moron with minimal computer experience, and you need to shut
>> the * up.

>> Thanks in advance,

>> love,

> I must disagree with your evaluation of the ext3 v ReiserFS evaluation -
> if you'll be so kind as to peruse the 2nd part of the Linux Maximus series
> of articles, you'll see why:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Ive seen that report and reports like it, which is why I tried JFS in the first
place.  I really like JFS.

However, in the real world, for my purposes on a home multi-purpose workstation,
reiser is the clear and unequivocal winner.

-----.

--
Theres a hole in the world like a great black pit and
its filled with people who are filled with shit and the
vermin of the world inhabit it

1. Filesystem Problem. Help/Advice Required Please.

We are running SCO OpenServer Release 5. The initial hardware build and
software installation was done externally. The system has been running
ok for several months until recently. I am not aware that anything has
been changed on the server, no major upgrades etc.

Problem: On reboot (after a tidy shutdown), the system runs an fsck on
the root filesystem and reports that the filesystem is larger than the
device.

Filesystem is 4019369K and the device is 3865499K and recommends
a backup and rebuild.

However doing a df -v shows on /dev/root blocks 8038738
used is 846860, free is 7191878 and only 11% full.

Divvy shows blocks allocated to root as start block 406528
end block 4272026 giving a total 3865498 available for filesystem.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions as to why this is?
Thanking you in advance.
Colin Woodford.
Please reply by email as newsgroup access is limited.

2. Jumpstart - profile not found error

3. HELP!!: Need advice on disk data recovery (corrupted filesystem)

4. http://pobox.com/~jjjsmith

5. !!!HELP!!! - Filesystem trashed, need HELP PLEASE!

6. Network Monitoring Tools

7. Please help! Advice needed

8. How do linkers work?

9. I Need Advice On Simple Home Network, Please Help

10. Advice needed for /etc/vga/libvga.conf -- Please help

11. Advice needed on install (with Win95 filesystem question)

12. still need printer help please please please

13. Need advice on splitting filesystem