What is wrong with login and mailing as root?

What is wrong with login and mailing as root?

Post by sl.. » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

    Why so many people are so raged at others using root for their E-mail?
Usually I do not do it but I know lots of people do. I do not think it is an
insult to other people, why would it be anyway. If a person uses root to login
all the time, he has the responsibility to manage the system as well. As long
as it is his machine, he has all the right to do whatever he wants on his
machine. If some bad thing happened, he also will be responsible for it. So I
just do not understand why lots of people think it is such a big thing.

Post by Michael Shapp » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> machine. If some bad thing happened, he also will be responsible for it. So I
> just do not understand why lots of people think it is such a big thing.

It's not a big thing, it's just a dumb thing, and members of Advocacy
groups tend to get a little vocal when the see Dumb Things being done :-)

You are correct in saying that if they're stupid enough to use root for
everything, they will have to be responsible for their own stupidity, but
that doesn't mean that those who seek to improve the species a bit can't
rail against the stupidity of doing it in the first place...

It must be Saturday. I'm never this undiplomatic in the middle of the
week...:-)

--

Web: <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
*ing the unsuspecting to the net since 1987

Post by Roberto Alsi » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>    Why so many people are so raged at others using root for their E-mail?
>Usually I do not do it but I know lots of people do. I do not think it is an
>insult to other people, why would it be anyway. If a person uses root to login
>all the time, he has the responsibility to manage the system as well. As long
>as it is his machine, he has all the right to do whatever he wants on his
>machine. If some bad thing happened, he also will be responsible for it. So I
>just do not understand why lots of people think it is such a big thing.

Several things:

a) If you send a mail as root, your name doesn't appear in the "From:"
   header.

b) It's not OK to flame somebody because he uses the root account for
   normal use. However, a friendly reminder that it's a bad idea is in order.

c) Using root for every day things like reading/sending mail is a bad
   idea because you risk damage to  your system, and we care about other
   linux users :-)

d) If not-so-clueful users use root (as it is mostly the case), and*
   their systems, they usually blame the OS. Since we, linux users and
   advocates don't like that to happen, we suggest them not to do it.

e) Every manual on linux installation, every tutorial or doc on system
   administration, tells in the first 5 pages that using the root account
   for normal use is *evil*. So, using it shows that the user didn't read
   the docs or (heresy! :-) did read them and didn't follow the advice.
   So, reminding that use of root is evil, we are encouraging him to read and
   follow the docs.

That's some of the reasons. I'm sure others can come up with more.

Regards.

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Post by Perry Pipla » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>    Why so many people are so raged at others using root for their E-mail?
>Usually I do not do it but I know lots of people do. I do not think it is an
>insult to other people, why would it be anyway. If a person uses root to login
>all the time, he has the responsibility to manage the system as well. As long
>as it is his machine, he has all the right to do whatever he wants on his
>machine. If some bad thing happened, he also will be responsible for it. So I
>just do not understand why lots of people think it is such a big thing.

The multiuser sercurity model of Unix is one ot the big advantages over M$
operating system. Newbies just aren't are of this.

Time flies like arrows, but fruit flies like bananas.
Perry Piplani                http://perrypip.netservers.com

Post by YAA (Yet Another » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>    Why so many people are so raged at others using root for their E-mail?
>Usually I do not do it but I know lots of people do. I do not think it is an
>insult to other people, why would it be anyway. If a person uses root to login
>all the time, he has the responsibility to manage the system as well. As long
>as it is his machine, he has all the right to do whatever he wants on his
>machine. If some bad thing happened, he also will be responsible for it. So I
>just do not understand why lots of people think it is such a big thing.

I agree completely.  If it is your machine and you want to always
log in as root, you have every right to do so.  If you are aware
of the issues and decide to go ahead as root anyway, I say you
have every right to do so!

Al

Remove garbage from signature before replying via email.

What is wrong with login and mailing as root?

Post by Juha Lai » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>    Why so many people are so raged at others using root for their E-mail?
>Usually I do not do it but I know lots of people do. I do not think it is an
>insult to other people, why would it be anyway. If a person uses root to login
>all the time, he has the responsibility to manage the system as well. As long
>as it is his machine, he has all the right to do whatever he wants on his
>machine. If some bad thing happened, he also will be responsible for it. So I
>just do not understand why lots of people think it is such a big thing.

I believe many people do that beause they do not understand the
difference ("hey, it's my machine, why would my login id make any
difference to anyone"). They don't realize that as they run as root,
there's a lot more possibility to inadvertently hose up the system.
Or to feed them some "evil" tar file, which insists on unpacking
directly into /bin. Or /lib.

And yes, I do manage this system. I have my root shell on the next
virtual console (and it's idle since the last login, so..).

So, the reason to tell them not to is to attempt to educate them
before something bad happens. At least I think this is why.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland
(GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a- C++ UH++++$ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-(---) W+ N+++ !K w !O

1. CDE 1.3: Hangs/Core Dumps for automounted logins: What am I doing wrong?

Problem:
CDE hangs / dumps core when I login in with my automounted account.  I
setup a non-automounted test account and it works fine.
The workstation is an Ultra 10 running Solaris 7 with the latest Rec/Sec
Patch Cluster.  What am I doing wrong?

/var/adm/messages:
Sep  7 20:16:34 pittysing /usr/dt/bin/ttsession[977]: Could not find
mount point for /etc/tt/types.xdr
Sep  7 20:16:34 pittysing dtwm[980]: libtt[980]: libtt:
startup_ttsession("ttsession -s -d :0.0") failed with code -1, see
syslog

/etc/auto_master:
/net            -hosts          -nosuid,nobrowse
/home           auto_home       -nobrowse
/xfn            -xfn

/etc/auto_home:
*       pittysing:/export/home/&

/etc/dfs/dfstab:
/usr/sbin/share -F nfs -o rw=pittysing -d "home dirs"  /export/home
/usr/sbin/share -F nfs -o ro -d "CD-ROM"  /cdrom/cdrom0

Thanks,
Carl

2. Afio version 2.3.7 (archiver and backup program)

3. NEWBIE: Unable to mount root fs on 8:25 : what am I doing wrong?

4. Trouble with core fonts on RH8

5. wrong root login-shell

7. Is there a mail program that can read mail (as root) from /var/spool/mail/xxx?

8. Linux install problem!

9. Mail to root from cron: "Logins currently disabled."

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?

12. Am I doing something wrong?? - (SAMBA)

13. One more question - What am I doing wrong?