Sun's StarOffice: Challenging Micro soft's Office suite

Sun's StarOffice: Challenging Micro soft's Office suite

Post by mjt » Sun, 05 May 2002 16:07:34

" ... we see some discontent in the market. After years of
trying to implement homogenous office environments and to
buy full suites for every user--for example, sometimes buying
Microsoft Office Professional for users who would never
touch a database, just for the sake of absolute homogeneity -
enterprises are realizing that the majority of their users
are consumers or light producers of information, and that
these users do not require all of the advanced features of
each new version of Office."

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2863077,0...

--
+==================================
+==================================

Post by jackso » Sun, 05 May 2002 18:47:20

> " ... we see some discontent in the market. After years of trying to
> implement homogenous office environments and to buy full suites for
> every user--for example, sometimes buying Microsoft Office Professional
> for users who would never touch a database, just for the sake of
> absolute homogeneity - enterprises are realizing that the majority of
> their users are consumers or light producers of information, and that
> these users do not require all of the advanced features of each new
> version of Office."

> http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2863077,0...

Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
etc....the list is long. Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and
day out???? Who can afford to hire somebody to run throughout a division
fixing this crap??? Our users are begging for Wordperfect back.

jackson

Post by mjt » Sun, 05 May 2002 19:08:07

>> " ... we see some discontent in the market. After years of trying to
>> implement homogenous office environments and to buy full suites for
>> every user--for example, sometimes buying Microsoft Office Professional
>> for users who would never touch a database, just for the sake of
>> absolute homogeneity - enterprises are realizing that the majority of
>> their users are consumers or light producers of information, and that
>> these users do not require all of the advanced features of each new
>> version of Office."

>> http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2863077,0...

> Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
> support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
> imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
> etc....the list is long.
> Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and day out????

well, __i'm__ not gonna do it :)

--
+==================================

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 05 May 2002 19:58:35

>> " ... we see some discontent in the market. After years of trying to
>> implement homogenous office environments and to buy full suites for
>> every user--for example, sometimes buying Microsoft Office Professional
>> for users who would never touch a database, just for the sake of
>> absolute homogeneity - enterprises are realizing that the majority of
>> their users are consumers or light producers of information, and that
>> these users do not require all of the advanced features of each new
>> version of Office."

>> http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2863077,0...

> Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
> support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
> imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
> etc....the list is long. Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and
> day out???? Who can afford to hire somebody to run throughout a division
> fixing this crap??? Our users are begging for Wordperfect back.

All I can add is that at last it is being noticed just how high the
TCO for MS SW is. Doesn't matter whether it is servers or the
desktop. It is a huge burden on companies. No matter what MS says
keeping their systems running requires enormous resources compared to
any type of *nix I have used. The MS FUD just isn't working anymore
hence the low uptake of W2K and XP. MS are now their own worst enemy.

Post by Tom Wilso » Sun, 05 May 2002 22:11:51

> > " ... we see some discontent in the market. After years of trying to
> > implement homogenous office environments and to buy full suites for
> > every user--for example, sometimes buying Microsoft Office Professional
> > for users who would never touch a database, just for the sake of
> > absolute homogeneity - enterprises are realizing that the majority of
> > their users are consumers or light producers of information, and that
> > these users do not require all of the advanced features of each new
> > version of Office."

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2863077,0...

Quote:

> Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
> support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
> imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
> etc....the list is long. Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and
> day out????

I don't and won't. MS-Office users are on their own at work. I handle
servers and write software for two platforms. I don't have the time or the
interest in getting a user's toolbars back.

Quote:>Who can afford to hire somebody to run throughout a division
> fixing this crap??? Our users are begging for Wordperfect back.

Whatever happened to the IBM Selectric?

Post by Rick » Mon, 06 May 2002 00:23:44

>>> " ... we see some discontent in the market. After years of trying to
>>> implement homogenous office environments and to buy full suites for
>>> every user--for example, sometimes buying Microsoft Office
>>> Professional for users who would never touch a database, just for the
>>> sake of absolute homogeneity - enterprises are realizing that the
>>> majority of their users are consumers or light producers of
>>> information, and that these users do not require all of the advanced
>>> features of each new version of Office."

>>> http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2863077,0...

>> Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
>> support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
>> imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
>> etc....the list is long. Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and
>> day out???? Who can afford to hire somebody to run throughout a
>> division fixing this crap??? Our users are begging for Wordperfect
>> back.

> All I can add is that at last it is being noticed just how high the TCO
> for MS SW is. Doesn't matter whether it is servers or the desktop. It is
> a huge burden on companies. No matter what MS says keeping their systems
> running requires enormous resources compared to any type of *nix I have
> used. The MS FUD just isn't working anymore hence the low uptake of W2K
> and XP. MS are now their own worst enemy.

And let's hope they continue to do their worst to themselves.
--
Rick

Post by Yan Seine » Mon, 06 May 2002 00:17:23

> Our users are begging for Wordperfect back.

In the words of one of my engineers:

"they'll have to pry WordPerfect from my cold, dead fingers".

For all its hype, Word still cannot do what WP did five years ago.  Now
if only WP had a native linux implementation.

--Yan

Sun's StarOffice: Challenging Micro soft's Office suite

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 06 May 2002 02:27:30

On Sat, 04 May 2002 17:17:23 -0500, Yan Seiner claimed:

>> Our users are begging for Wordperfect back.

> In the words of one of my engineers:

> "they'll have to pry WordPerfect from my cold, dead fingers".

> For all its hype, Word still cannot do what WP did five years ago.  Now
> if only WP had a native linux implementation.

> --Yan

As in WP8? You can download it. And I just read on another newsgroup that
Corel has started supporting it and linux users again after dropping
support for it. Not sure if that's true since I already have a working
version from s few years back. The claim was that you had to download and
install 2 files (that part's true for Redhat) and that's available on the
site. Then you download the program and install it. Plus info for drivers
and other support.

Might wanna check it out.

--
Linux: Because life is too short to reboot all day.

Post by mjt » Mon, 06 May 2002 02:54:47

>> Our users are begging for Wordperfect back.

> In the words of one of my engineers:

> "they'll have to pry WordPerfect from my cold, dead fingers".

> For all its hype, Word still cannot do what WP did five years ago.  Now
> if only WP had a native linux implementation.

and honestly, i'd say that 99% of the people out
there only use 8% of the 'features' of word. word
is bloated overkill that got to its bloated state
as a result of the "word-processing wars"

--
+==================================

Post by Jim Richardso » Mon, 06 May 2002 08:13:22

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Sun's StarOffice: Challenging Micro soft's Office suite

Post by Tim Smi » Mon, 06 May 2002 09:07:35

Quote:> Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
> support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
> imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
> etc....the list is long. Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and
> day out????

Hmmm...so does this mean that Gnome and KDE are nightmares for IT compared
to Windows?  They are way more configurable (that is usually listed as a
good point on this group, but you seem to be saying configurability is bad).

We Linux people need to make up our minds on this.  We can't have it both
ways...bad when it is in an office suite but great on a desktop.

--Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smi » Mon, 06 May 2002 09:23:22

> and honestly, i'd say that 99% of the people out there only use 8% of the
> 'features' of word. word is bloated overkill that got to its bloated state
> as a result of the "word-processing wars"

Yeah, pretty much everyone only uses a subset of Word's features, but
different people have different subsets.  The genius of Word is that they
managed to put all those features in there in such a way that they don't do
anything bad other than make the program bigger.

Usually, when you have everything but the kitchen sink in a program, the
features that you don't need interfere with the ones you do need, and the
program becomes unusable.  With Word, the features you don't need pretty
much stay out of the way.

--Tim Smith

Post by jackso » Mon, 06 May 2002 12:22:35

>> Not only that, but from an IT perspective Office is a nightmare to
>> support. Users find all sorts of ways to change every configuration
>> imaginable, like deleting commands, changing the normal template, etc
>> etc....the list is long. Who the hell wants to fix this crud day in and
>> day out????

> Hmmm...so does this mean that Gnome and KDE are nightmares for IT
> compared to Windows?  They are way more configurable (that is usually
> listed as a good point on this group, but you seem to be saying
> configurability is bad).

> We Linux people need to make up our minds on this.  We can't have it
> both ways...bad when it is in an office suite but great on a desktop.

> --Tim Smith

Standard IT policy is don't mess with it unless you can fix it. If the
user breaks something the usual story is, "I don't know what happened.
Suddenly it started doing this or that." So because the user wants to
cover his tracks, he lies. But subtle probing usually reveals the truth
because he doesn't understand technology enough to lie well enough to get
out of it.

I've said it numerous times on this NG. Linux needs a desktop for IT
enterprize that is extremely simple, basically, a glorified way to
run programs. And I think the answer is ... xfce. right? xfce is pretty
straightforward and allows minimal configuration.

So to make a point: _AGAIN_ Linux has shown it's flexible nature and it's
ability to adapt to various situations. Linux is an IT person's dream
because it's so configurable. Windows is an IT person's nightmare because
it's computing off the shelf.

Sun's StarOffice: Challenging Micro soft's Office suite

Post by D. C. Session » Mon, 06 May 2002 12:16:20

Quote:> Try and find a copy of WP-7 for linux, it was native afair, when they
> did 8, they did the wine *.

8 is native.  It was 9 that went wino.
(And I have 8 on this machine, so I checked.)

--
| It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance  |
|  It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance  |

Post by Paul Robs » Mon, 06 May 2002 14:01:02

>Usually, when you have everything but the kitchen sink in a program, the
>features that you don't need interfere with the ones you do need, and the
>program becomes unusable.  With Word, the features you don't need pretty
>much stay out of the way.

Type. "Dear Sir".

1. StarOffice vs Applixware (Office Suites for Linux)

I downloaded StarOffice for Linux to give it a try. It was SLOW.
StarWriter grinds away on my 200MHz Pentium and runs
much slower than MS-Word under Win95. Further, it is laden with
all kinds of bugs. I know it is only a beta version, but it pretty
well makes it unusable for my purposes even as a beta version. Overall
I was very disappointed because I was looking for an alternative to
using MS-Word (which means having to reboot my Linux machine).

I was wondering if anyone knows how Applixware compares in performance.
I hate to bring up MS-Word all the time, but that is the only benchmark
I can come up with for comparison.

Before shelling out money for Applixware, I would like to hear from
those who have used it (preferably those who have used all three:
Starwrite, Applix and MS-Word).

Thanks!!

--
Andrew Sarangan
PhD, PP-ASEL

2. Sun Sparc Monitor and Linux (486) machine?

3. linux's office suite

4. licq trouble

5. StarOffice, Aplix .. What's the best suite?

6. Anonymous FTP setup

7. OT: StarOffice Hits Number One on Amazon.com's Business And Office Software Sales Charts

8. HELP !!! AIX 3.2.5 to 4.1.4

9. StarOffice 5.0 setup 'can't execute'

10. StarOffice Can't resolve symbol '__builtin_vec_new'

11. Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

12. Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

13. StarOffice Beta2: error->> can't resolve symbol 'xmFrameWidgetClass'