"?" in html text (e.g. "This is Adam?s post")

"?" in html text (e.g. "This is Adam?s post")

Post by Adam Warne » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:22:18

Hi all,

I remember a discussion about this a while back. Can anyone refresh my
memory how to fix up html where some grammar doesn't display correctly in
Linux?

Thanks,
Adam

"?" in html text (e.g. "This is Adam?s post")

Post by Adam Warne » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:44:43

Hi all,

Here's the conversation:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=f8c513f7cd...

The thread is titled "New kernel 2.4.1 rocks with IPMASQ"

The perl script is the "DEMORONISER".

Regards,
Adam

"?" in html text (e.g. "This is Adam?s post")

Post by brle.. » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:14:07

Interesting.  I'll have to update my brl-msft-escape function to handle
additional characters.  Right now it's just fixing quotes.

--
Bruce R. Lewis                          http://brl.sourceforge.net/

Post by Adam Warne » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:12:31

> Interesting.  I'll have to update my brl-msft-escape function to handle
> additional characters.  Right now it's just fixing quotes.

The script works well:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

(you'll probably have to fix up the Perl path in the first line of the
script)

It turned an absolute mess that resulted from pasting text from Microsoft
Publisher into perfectly readable text. Compare these two sentences:

Before:
-------
8. Money and Property: 1. Local Committees. ? ? Each local committee will
open a bank account, and designate two signatories to that account. It
will present accounts to its members annually?. Amend (With reference to 3
ii ? ?Local groups? organise their committees as they see fit,?) to ?Each
local committee will decide whether its number and operation warrants the
opening of a bank account. Smaller and informal groupings may prefer to
work in petty cash; larger regional groups will operate a bank account
with two signatories and present an account to members annually?

After:
------
8. Money and Property: 1. Local Committees. " ... Each local committee
will open a bank account, and designate two signatories to that account.
It will present accounts to its members annually". Amend (With reference
to 3 ii ... "Local groups... organise their committees as they see fit,")
to "Each local committee will decide whether its number and operation
warrants the opening of a bank account. Smaller and informal groupings may
prefer to work in petty cash; larger regional groups will operate a bank
account with two signatories and present an account to members annually"

Use the -w0 switch so it doesn't word wrap the HTML.

You can see that Microsoft Publisher even replaced three dots (...) with a
proprietary character!

Regards,
Adam