add second external disk on a sparc.

Post by sys admi » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

hi there!

how do I add an extrnal sun HD without a reboot on a machine(sparc 4
solaris 2.6) already carying an external HD

I need to chain the new one to the existing one (use the scsi port on the
existing disk to add this new  one) since there are no more scsi port lefe
on the machine.

Thanks,

add second external disk on a sparc.

Post by Andrew Welha » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

THE FOLLOWING IS VERY DANGROUS AND COULD LEAD TO DATA LOSS, HARDWARE FAILURE
or SYSTEM CRASH OR ONE OR MORE OF THE ABOVE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

If you ignored the above below is how do to this.
All hardware should be added when the machine is off, how ever if you really
really really must do this simply daisy chain the new disk in to the chain
making sure the scsi bus is terminated and the new disk has a unique scsi id
when you have finished.
If the machine is still working at this stage login as root and run

drvconfig

my advice to you is
DO NOT DO THIS POWER DOWN THE MACHINE FIRST THEN BOOT IN RECONFIGURATION MODE.

Post by Unix Sys Adm » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> hi there!

> how do I add an extrnal sun HD without a reboot on a machine(sparc 4
> solaris 2.6) already carying an external HD

   I don't know, actually you should not do it because you could ruin your
disk(s), SCSI controller and/or motherboard.

   By the way, do you know how to jump from a third floor without being
hurt?

Quote:> I need to chain the new one to the existing one (use the scsi port on the
> existing disk to add this new  one) since there are no more scsi port lefe
> on the machine.

  I need to jump because that way I save the 3 minutes it would take to
use the lift... of course if somebody is pointing a gun at you and
requiring you to jump, then please go ahead..... :) :) :)
> Thanks,

add second external disk on a sparc.

Post by Steve Jun » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've heard of people doing a "stop a" plugging in the new disc with the power
off, turning it on and typing go on the console. I've never tried it though.

Steve

> hi there!

> how do I add an extrnal sun HD without a reboot on a machine(sparc 4
> solaris 2.6) already carying an external HD

> I need to chain the new one to the existing one (use the scsi port on the
> existing disk to add this new  one) since there are no more scsi port lefe
> on the machine.

> Thanks,

add second external disk on a sparc.

Post by Stuart Mayberr » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

A better way is using DD command if you want
the new drive to contain all the data from the first.
But if the new drive is larger or smaller you will have
to reformat your drive which means you have to start
install over.  This is a limitation of the SunOS.
HP-UX uses VOL manager which is cutting edge and
100 times better when it comes to managing diskspace.
HP uses SAM to reconfigure your hardrive.  Virtual
management.

I usually do this.

at the prompt in a xterminal window
type> touch reconfigure.... wella off we go!!
then type shutdown -y -g 0 -i 5.
then install new drive on SBUS or PCI bus.
If your into spending big bucks then add hardrive
while powered on.

>hi there!

>how do I add an extrnal sun HD without a reboot on a machine(sparc 4
>solaris 2.6) already carying an external HD

>I need to chain the new one to the existing one (use the scsi port on the
>existing disk to add this new  one) since there are no more scsi port lefe
>on the machine.

>Thanks,

add second external disk on a sparc.

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>THE FOLLOWING IS VERY DANGROUS AND COULD LEAD TO DATA LOSS, HARDWARE FAILURE
>or SYSTEM CRASH OR ONE OR MORE OF THE ABOVE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

>If you ignored the above below is how do to this.
>All hardware should be added when the machine is off, how ever if you really
>really really must do this simply daisy chain the new disk in to the chain
>making sure the scsi bus is terminated and the new disk has a unique scsi id
>when you have finished.

I run a Solaris x86 server, and 12 out of its 14 disks
have been added to the machine and brought into service
with the server fully running, without any reboots.
Actually, same goes for the tape drives and CDROM drive.

I allowed for them all on the SCSI buses, so I can plug
them in and out without effecting the integrity of the
SCSI termination. Rules are to always ensure all slices
on the disk are unmounted first (if pulling one off the
bus or changing its SCSI id), and always ensure the
drive is unpowered when [dis]connecting from the SCSI
bus. I also type 'sync' just before each risky bit, so
that if I did crash the machine, damage is limited.

Quote:>If the machine is still working at this stage login as root and run

>drvconfig

which creates the /devices entries, and then

  disks

to create the /dev/[r]dsk/* links (or 'tapes' for tape drives).

Quote:>my advice to you is
>DO NOT DO THIS POWER DOWN THE MACHINE FIRST THEN BOOT IN RECONFIGURATION MODE.

I won't argue; it's clearly risky doing what I do, but
I've had no problems yet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Post by <d.. » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: hi there!

: how do I add an extrnal sun HD without a reboot on a machine(sparc 4
: solaris 2.6) already carying an external HD

You don't. Unless you want to*up everything that works on that box.

: I need to chain the new one to the existing one (use the scsi port on the
: existing disk to add this new  one) since there are no more scsi port lefe
: on the machine.

Of course. That's how it works. You shutdown the machine and add a second
external disk using a cable from the first external disk to the second
external disk. That's how scsi works.

But before you do so:

# touch /reconfigure

shutdown -y -g0 -i0 to see what scsi addresses are available with

ok> probe-scsi

0 and 3 are usually taken so try to find a spare one

switch off the sun

connect the disk and set the thingy on the back to the free scsi id number.

switch the computer back on

wait

login

read man newfs

run newfs on the new disk partitions

read man mount

edit /etc/vfstab and put in the partitions to mount

Dimitri Georganas
MITC

1. How to add external disk drive to sparc 1 or 2 with 4.1.3 SUNOS?

I am trying to install am external box hill device which contains two
scsi hard drives and an 8mm tape backup. I have no documentaion on the
box hill. What are the files I need to change to recognize these new
devices? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

2. niggling reiserFS problems

3. How to Add an external Disk to Sparc

4. Setting time under Linux

5. adding second disk to sparc solaris 7

6. Backup verify problem with SCO 3.2v4.2

7. External Disk VS External Disk Enclosure

8. No screensaver available

9. adding disk to SPARC (WTB disk too)

10. Problems when adding a second SCSI-disc (with net, with discs)

11. adding external tape drive to Sparc

12. problem adding external disks