Linux-FT versus Linux-LDR

Post by Erik Tro » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Currently I am running Slackware from Infomagic's Linux-LDR, it
>is ok. The only reason I can see to switch to Linux-FT is that
>it is the distribution used to validate Swim.  But is that only
>a coincidence or is there some good reasons behind this?

Lasermoon created both Swim and FT and makes money on both, so it's no
surprise that they consider FT the platform of choice ;-)

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar

1. Linux versus SCO versus NT advice.

I need some advise.

Until know I've spent a lot of time and money
trying to get a Linux server running.
I was better of if I just had bought an NT server !!

I've tried Slackware 3.4 first.
But the documentation is a mess.
Allthough that isn't the biggest problem.
It isn't a stable OS.
When a program crashes it can take the whole system down.
Also the documentation isn't correct.
For example:
It states to use a gcc version x.x.x or newer to compile the kernel.
But people on the net say you will have to use a newer version than that.
(also the new compile will not install)

Then I tried Red HAt 5.1.
Same problem unstable.
Documentation seems to be a little better.
But also this OS hangs if a program crashes.
The OS doesn't even read out the keyboard anymore.
Also some basic things are wrong.
Don't try this:
cd /
ls -l */*/XF86Config
If you do this as normal user you only can shut the
server down with the power button

I've tested the above on two different PC.
One which is new the other an old one.

To let the story be short
Is an OSC server more stable than Linux ?

Can it run with the following hardware ?
ABIT LX6
64 MB ECC ram
Quantum FireBall 6.4 se ide (not my favorit brand)
Aopen 32x aku  CDROM (ide)
Intell Pentium II 300mhz
Tornado 4MB pci (s3virge DX)
microsoft ps/2 mouse.
I've several brands of ethernet and modems so that isn't a problem.

Or should I directly buy an NT server ?

Perpose:
Mainly learning a bit more of Unix.
I'm NOT interested in development in C language.
Conect my local net periodecly and automatic with the internet
when needed.
(reading email/browsing)
Whe don't have cable jet , so it will be a PPP dial up.
Design and testing of perl CGI scripts
I need a running web server for that.
I don't like the asp thing.

Please mail me at

2. Major hardware change (mobo)

3. Comparing Unix versus Linux versus Windows NT/2000

4. DHCP server for Linux having two ethernet cards

5. Linux versus OS/2 versus Cairo and so on

6. to seperate between number and alphabet characters

7. install Linux before linux-Ft?

8. another bug in vi + fix

9. Are LINUX-FT fixes folded into Linux/GNU to gcc ?

10. Infomagic LDR & DR Linux

11. Motif on Linux & slackware vs Linux FT

12. Linux FT - a new distribution of Linux (probably)