Wanting to move over...

Post by Jamie Alle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings

Help me out here. I was a unix programmer for a number of years, but am
now a school teacher. I use my PC extensively in my work.

I keep planning to change my PC from Win98 to Linux. I have a Redhat 5
Cd all ready to go.

Here's what's putting me off :-

- I have to say MS word is one of the most versatile and useful packages
I've used. Ideal for producing artwork; documents; reports; posters;
essays; letters. How can I replace this ? Also, I am often given
documents in Word 97 format to work on and pass on to colleagues in the
same format.

- What about hardware that requires special drivers ? I have a minolta
colour pagepro printer; a camera and capture card; an HP cd-writer. I
guess I would no longer be able to use any of these, or use them fully ?

- My wife has a windows PC, and would want to stick to windows.
Currently she accesses the web via my PC through wingate. Is there any
way I could set up a similar system under linux with my PC as a server ?

- I use a package called 'Bibleworks' for teaching. It's a windows 95
software package. Might this run under a sort of windows-emulation
facility ? Is there such a facility, and how good is it ?

- Finally; what would I *really* gain, other than the pleasure of a
command-line. I can run most unix commands in a dos window on my PC; I
have a set of unix commands online and bash. Will I just end up finding
that all the good software/hardware is limited to MS Windows, and change
back again, having incurred much wasted time and hassle ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice people have.

Regards

Jamie Allen

Wanting to move over...

Post by somebod » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> - I have to say MS word is one of the most versatile and useful packages
> I've used. Ideal for producing artwork; documents; reports; posters;
> essays; letters. How can I replace this ? Also, I am often given
> documents in Word 97 format to work on and pass on to colleagues in the
> same format.

there are office apps for linux that read mickeysoft formatted files.

applixware & staroffice are 2 main ones.  i have heard pros/cons for
these.

Quote:> - What about hardware that requires special drivers ? I have a minolta
> colour pagepro printer; a camera and capture card; an HP cd-writer. I
> guess I would no longer be able to use any of these, or use them fully ?

dunno about this specifically.. someone else will have to answer..
chances are - yes.

Quote:> - My wife has a windows PC, and would want to stick to windows.
> Currently she accesses the web via my PC through wingate. Is there any
> way I could set up a similar system under linux with my PC as a server ?

there is a util to do this - ipfwadm

Quote:> - I use a package called 'Bibleworks' for teaching. It's a windows 95
> software package. Might this run under a sort of windows-emulation
> facility ? Is there such a facility, and how good is it ?

there is a bible program on linux that has a gui wrapper in tcl.  i
would not recommend running under windows emulation.

Quote:> - Finally; what would I *really* gain, other than the pleasure of a
> command-line. I can run most unix commands in a dos window on my PC; I
> have a set of unix commands online and bash. Will I just end up finding
> that all the good software/hardware is limited to MS Windows, and change
> back again, having incurred much wasted time and hassle ?

what do you wanna do?   it depends on your objective.

all the *good* software/hardware is available for linux.  there are many
tools.   they (most) just don't come canned in a nice marketed fashion.

btw.. you might think about checking out BeOS.   it has a posix
foundation & has all the unix toys.   easy setup & gui config.

you have to choose the tools that will gets the job done for you.   if
that means sticking w/ mickeysoft, so be it.   however,  you will find
that linux has many more tools available and works quietly w/o much
complaint 24x7.   the learning curve is steeper at first but well worth
it in the end.

for example, with the cost of ISDN coming down so much,  you could
easily set linux up as a firewall for your own site for initially ~$600
and monthly ~$100.  no extra tax would have to be paid to mickeysoft.

i think your wife would find BeOS or linux-X even more fun than
windoze.  my advice to you is to at least dual boot these for a while.
but after about a year, you will find yourself rid of the mickeysoft
merry-go-round.

Wanting to move over...

Post by Bart Dorse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Greetings

> Help me out here. I was a unix programmer for a number of years, but am
> now a school teacher. I use my PC extensively in my work.

> I keep planning to change my PC from Win98 to Linux. I have a Redhat 5
> Cd all ready to go.

> Here's what's putting me off :-

> - I have to say MS word is one of the most versatile and useful packages
> I've used. Ideal for producing artwork; documents; reports; posters;
> essays; letters. How can I replace this ? Also, I am often given
> documents in Word 97 format to work on and pass on to colleagues in the
> same format.

StarOffice 5.0 and Word Perfect 8 both convert Word 97 formats... you could
also make your system dual boot between Win98 and Linux... at least until you
get adjusted.

Quote:

> - What about hardware that requires special drivers ? I have a minolta
> colour pagepro printer; a camera and capture card; an HP cd-writer. I
> guess I would no longer be able to use any of these, or use them fully ?

The pagepro printer may not be supported, you'll need to check the lastest
version of Ghostscript to see.  The Camera and Capture card might be supported
in Linux 2.2.0, but isn't in the Linux 2.0.36 included with Redhat.  If the HP
CD writer is SCSI or IDE it will most likely work. If it's parrallel port
based, it probably won't

Quote:

> - My wife has a windows PC, and would want to stick to windows.
> Currently she accesses the web via my PC through wingate. Is there any
> way I could set up a similar system under linux with my PC as a server ?

Yes! In fact this is much more stable and requires no configuration on the
Windows side. Look on the net for IP Masquerading.

Quote:

> - I use a package called 'Bibleworks' for teaching. It's a windows 95
> software package. Might this run under a sort of windows-emulation
> facility ? Is there such a facility, and how good is it ?

You can try running it under WINE... It might work, it might not.. this is
another good reason to have your system dual boot.

Quote:

> - Finally; what would I *really* gain, other than the pleasure of a
> command-line. I can run most unix commands in a dos window on my PC; I
> have a set of unix commands online and bash. Will I just end up finding
> that all the good software/hardware is limited to MS Windows, and change
> back again, having incurred much wasted time and hassle ?

Check out my web page of screenshots from my machine running Linux.

http://bucket.ualr.edu/echo/penguins.php3

Quote:> Many thanks in advance for any advice people have.

--

Wanting to move over...

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:17:06 +0000...

Quote:> Greetings

> Help me out here. I was a unix programmer for a number of years, but am
> now a school teacher. I use my PC extensively in my work.

> I keep planning to change my PC from Win98 to Linux. I have a Redhat 5
> Cd all ready to go.

Great!

Quote:> Here's what's putting me off :-

> - I have to say MS word is one of the most versatile and useful packages
> I've used. Ideal for producing artwork; documents; reports; posters;
> essays; letters. How can I replace this ?

StarOffice? Applixware? Pathetic Writer?

Quote:> Also, I am often given
> documents in Word 97 format to work on and pass on to colleagues in the
> same format.

Ouch. That's evil and rude (in the hackish sense).

Quote:> - What about hardware that requires special drivers ? I have a minolta
> colour pagepro printer; a camera and capture card; an HP cd-writer. I
> guess I would no longer be able to use any of these, or use them fully ?

You surely can use the printer and the CD writer. I don't know about the
camera, but there is Video for Linux in the 2.2.0 kernel.

Quote:> - My wife has a windows PC, and would want to stick to windows.
> Currently she accesses the web via my PC through wingate. Is there any
> way I could set up a similar system under linux with my PC as a server ?

I think.

Quote:> - I use a package called 'Bibleworks' for teaching. It's a windows 95
> software package. Might this run under a sort of windows-emulation
> facility ? Is there such a facility, and how good is it ?

There is Wine, and it's good enough to run games like StarCraft (a bit).

Quote:> - Finally; what would I *really* gain, other than the pleasure of a
> command-line. I can run most unix commands in a dos window on my PC; I
> have a set of unix commands online and bash. Will I just end up finding
> that all the good software/hardware is limited to MS Windows, and change
> back again, having incurred much wasted time and hassle ?

You will gain so much that I will let other people tell you. Perhaps (yes I
know they will hate me), have a look at this: <URL:
http://members.tripod.com/~Nishk/frt.html>

HTH

mawa
--

My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.
It's sad to live in a world where knowing how to program your VCR actually

Wanting to move over...

Post by Arthu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I keep planning to change my PC from Win98 to Linux. I have a Redhat 5
> Cd all ready to go.

[snip]

Quote:> - I use a package called 'Bibleworks' for teaching. It's a windows 95
> software package. Might this run under a sort of windows-emulation
> facility ? Is there such a facility, and how good is it ?

Someone has started a similar (?) package for Linux.
Search freshmeat.net.

Quote:> - Finally; what would I *really* gain, other than the pleasure of a
> command-line. I can run most unix commands in a dos window on my PC; I
> have a set of unix commands online and bash. Will I just end up finding
> that all the good software/hardware is limited to MS Windows, and change
> back again, having incurred much wasted time and hassle ?

What do you expect to gain? What's motivating you
to switch in the first place?

For example, you have excellent mail management, web server,
SQL server and clients, and a full development environment
all on the RH CD or available for free via download. None of
those are on the Windows 95 CD.

Like Windows, you have a GUI desktop enviroment (actually
several) not just command line, and the associated tools. You
can acquire full Office suites for free or very little cost
for personal use.

You'll be able to upgrade all of this in the future via
download at no cost - even the OS.

The important question is what do you want to do with your
system, and why do you want to switch to Linux? What's
wrong with your current system?

Arthur

Wanting to move over...

Post by Jamie Alle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I keep planning to change my PC from Win98 to Linux. I have a Redhat 5
>> Cd all ready to go.

>What do you expect to gain? What's motivating you
>to switch in the first place?

Hi Arthur

Thanks for your advice. Good question. Several things I guess.

First, I really love messing around with UNIX, and miss doing that. A
big element of it is just that pleasure.

Second, I'm slightly peed off with the buy-an-upgrade-regularly without
any impressive change in the software mentality that I seem to have got
stuck in with the OS/applications I use. It would be nice to side-step
that a bit into Linux.

Third, I am sick of constantly rebooting my machine.

And fourth, because windows is so high level and DOS so limited, there
are many things that, having come from a UNIX background, it's
frustrating not to have a way to do yourself.

Cheers

Jamie

Wanting to move over...

Post by Subhabrata Biswa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> - Finally; what would I *really* gain, other than the pleasure of a
> command-line. I can run most unix commands in a dos window on my PC; I
> have a set of unix commands online and bash. Will I just end up finding
> that all the good software/hardware is limited to MS Windows, and change
> back again, having incurred much wasted time and hassle ?

Let me tell you my story. I had faced the same question that you
have asked in this forum.

I have both Windows 95 and Linux installed on my home PC. I use
Windows 95 extensively and Linux quite frequently. I want to move
all my work completely onto Linux eventually. There is just one
reason behind that: stability. Following are some incidents:

- A lot of times a program crashes - just like that - with some crypic
message which I cannot decipher. The same program may work if you
run it a second time! Stability of a program is near ZERO! I cannot
accept a system that does not let me save half an hour's job and
kills a program without any warning!

- A lot of times the system hangs when trying to access the CD drive.
Now I can even reproduce this symptom (and therefore usually try to
avoid it). Put in a CD and using explorer goto the CD drive. Now
switch over to some other application and take the CD out. This
frequently results in an instability blue screen (usually recoverable).

- The system frequently runs low on resources. My machine is a P233
with 128 MB RAM and 4.3 GB HDD. I run a maximum of 5-6 applications
simultaneously. I fail to appreciate a system which complains of
resources on such a strong machine.

- The system leaks resources!!! I cannot pin-point what causes this.
But the garbage collection of this OS is so bad that if a faulty
application leaks resources, at times the OS fails to recover them
even after the application terminates.

Windows NT is slightly better than 95 in terms of stability but half
of the drivers won't work on NT!

Then we have Linux, which, till date, has never crashed on my
machine - no matter how many applications I run. It is *always*
rock-solid. Strangely, my Linux has been able to recognise only
64 MB and I haven't given it any awap space!

There are just two reasons why I haven't been able to switch over
to Linux completely:

- No driver for my video capture card, sound card and modem card.
- Not-so-rich GUI. The GUI of X toolkit, OpenWin, etc. are just not
as feature-rich as MS Windows. As you rightly pointed out - an
application like Word is not yet available on Linux. There are some
word processors but none so feature-rich.

However, now that KDE (www.kde.org) is coming up so fast, I guess,
I should be able to move more of my work onto Linux in near future.
But the drivers will remain open questions and I may have to live
with a dual boot system for some more time.

Regards
-- Subhabrata
The NOTREQD in my email address is not required

Wanting to move over...

Post by somebod » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Then we have Linux, which, till date, has never crashed on my
> machine - no matter how many applications I run. It is *always*
> rock-solid. Strangely, my Linux has been able to recognise only
> 64 MB and I haven't given it any awap space!

try adding
append mem="128M"
in lilo.conf and run lilo

1. WANTED: Sys. Admins Looking to Move to NT

A Consulting firm located in Southern CT is looking for Sun UNIX, VAX VMS,
Macintosh, and PC System Administrators looking to learn or move to Windows
NT Administration.  The firm has clients now who are attempting to move
from current systems over to Windows NT.

Knowledge of TCP/IP Networking, disaster recovery, and enterprise backup
strategies is Required.  Qualified candidates will be trained on Windows NT
Administration as well as Oracle and SQL Server Administration as current
clients begin to transition from other operating systems.  Some desktop
support will also be required.  Knowledge in developing small system
administration utilities is a plus.

Networking/Desktop Support Positions are also available.

Immediate positions are available.

Send resumes in either Word RTF format or ASCII Text format to the
following email Address:

Salary is dependent on experience. Inquiries are welcome

2. /usr/spool/mail/$USER -> $HOME/mbox move

3. Reasons behind Sun move to Solaris wanted

4. Six Figure Income

5. OS/2 user wants to move to linux

6. Listserv/Procmail question

7. Windows 2000 NOT moving into the household moving business

8. Help to Win95/lilo/linux users

9. Secret Basketball Moves (New Moves 11)

10. '.forward' moves mail !!!; anything that copies and not MOVE?

11. ATI GUPro bus mouse move up, cursor moves down (in X)

12. Wanted: Scheduler software wanted

13. faster backups, or "everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to die"