Richard Stallman arrested by FBI for Terrorism

Richard Stallman arrested by FBI for Terrorism

Post by Pope » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 00:12:22

Catchy headline but untrue.

Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

Bush *IS* Saddam!

Post by Pope » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:38:22

>>Catchy headline but untrue.

>>Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
>>and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

>>http://www.veryComputer.com/,2100,58326,00.html

>>Bush *IS* Saddam!

> The only thing these linoloonies could be arrested for is vagrancy or
> loitering and impersonating a homeless person.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

I frankly don't know why any of this would concern you Flatfish.

What do you care if Richard Stallman or Linus Torvalds or me or Jim
Richards, or GreyCloud, or Rapskat, or any of us become the target of
America's dictator!

What do you really care about freedom, mans right to free speech, our
right to persue a life of happiness or anybody here on C.O.L.A.

You certainly don't have anything to worry about being a god damn wintrol
Flatfish.   Your future is assured, isn't it.

I'm not even surprised you had the balls to be the first to write a
response to this message instead of that shit for brains Dave Leigh.

And speaking of shit for brains, what * would attempt to do
consulting advertising here on the terrorist newsgroup in
republic*shitville?  Then mouth off that being a repulicshit* isn't
a problem in this day and age?

Post by ALIE » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:26:00

>>>Catchy headline but untrue.

>>>Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
>>>and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

>>>http://www.veryComputer.com/,2100,58326,00.html

>>>Bush *IS* Saddam!

>> The only thing these linoloonies could be arrested for is vagrancy or
>> loitering and impersonating a homeless person.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

> I frankly don't know why any of this would concern you Flatfish.

> What do you care if Richard Stallman or Linus Torvalds or me or Jim
> Richards, or GreyCloud, or Rapskat, or any of us become the target of
> America's dictator!

> What do you really care about freedom, mans right to free speech, our
> right to persue a life of happiness or anybody here on C.O.L.A.

> You certainly don't have anything to worry about being a god damn wintrol
> Flatfish.   Your future is assured, isn't it.

> I'm not even surprised you had the balls to be the first to write a
> response to this message instead of that shit for brains Dave Leigh.

> And speaking of shit for brains, what * would attempt to do
> consulting advertising here on the terrorist newsgroup in
> republic*shitville?  Then mouth off that being a repulicshit* isn't
> a problem in this day and age?

well well WELL AMERICA is the land of freedom!

Richard Stallman arrested by FBI for Terrorism

Post by Dave Leig » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 05:50:48

Pope wrote on Friday 04 April 2003 20:38 in message

>>>Catchy headline but untrue.

>>>Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
>>>and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

>>>http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

[snip]

Quote:> I'm not even surprised you had the balls to be the first to write a
> response to this message instead of that shit for brains Dave Leigh.

Aw, Charlie, I didn't know you cared! How sweet!

Actually, There wasn't any need to respond. You disclaimed the "catchy"
headline properly (which was the only reason I was responding to your
inflammatory headlines before), and allowing for certain hardwired rhetoric
on your part I agree that the link is newsworthy. It's far less OT than
much of the stuff that appears here.

FWIW, based solely on the info in the Wired article and on the
http://www.freemikehawash.org/ website, I'm also concerned about the
practice of "detaining" individuals without apparent due process or just
cause. I'm writing my Senators asking them to investigate a practice that
to all appearances is a clear violation of these citizens' civil rights.
You'll be pleased to know that I'm phrasing the letters in language that
won't get them tossed into the kook file.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Post by Nymshifte » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 05:53:12

> Catchy headline but untrue.

> Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
> and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

> http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

> Bush *IS* Saddam!

you are part of the problem

Post by Popeg » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:00:54

> Pope wrote on Friday 04 April 2003 20:38 in message

> [snip]

> > I'm not even surprised you had the balls to be the first to write a
> > response to this message instead of that shit for brains Dave Leigh.

> Aw, Charlie, I didn't know you cared! How sweet!

> Actually, There wasn't any need to respond. You disclaimed the "catchy"
> headline properly (which was the only reason I was responding to your
> inflammatory headlines before), and allowing for certain hardwired rhetoric
> on your part I agree that the link is newsworthy. It's far less OT than
> much of the stuff that appears here.

> FWIW, based solely on the info in the Wired article and on the
> http://www.freemikehawash.org/ website, I'm also concerned about the
> practice of "detaining" individuals without apparent due process or just
> cause. I'm writing my Senators asking them to investigate a practice that
> to all appearances is a clear violation of these citizens' civil rights.
> You'll be pleased to know that I'm phrasing the letters in language that
> won't get them tossed into the kook file.

You know the main reason I'd never do business with your Dave.

Your a Republican.

Richard Stallman arrested by FBI for Terrorism

Post by Dave Leig » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:11:27

Popegod wrote on Saturday 05 April 2003 10:00 in message

Quote:> You know the main reason I'd never do business with your Dave.

I don't need to know the reasons, I just count my blessings.
We love you too, Charlie... don't ever change.

--
Dave Leigh, American
"Ad Free" sig, just for Charlie!

Post by Mr. Berserk » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 02:43:54

> Catchy headline but untrue.

> Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
> and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

> http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

> Bush *IS* Saddam!

Well, who sez Bush doesn't like RMS or Linus? DoD are quite interested
in Linux as well as other (important) gov agencies. I think they would
stay Dubya should he ever (is that even likely?) go after RMS or
Linus...

Post by Pope » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 07:15:12

>> Catchy headline but untrue.

>> Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
>> and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

>> http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

>> Bush *IS* Saddam!

> Well, who sez Bush doesn't like RMS or Linus? DoD are quite interested
> in Linux as well as other (important) gov agencies. I think they would
> stay Dubya should he ever (is that even likely?) go after RMS or
> Linus...

Who says Bush likes his own people?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/14/1355257&mode=thread&tid=1...

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/03/03/28/2136233.shtml?tid=126

Bet you thought he had an alliance with the American workers!
NOT!

Post by Rex Ballar » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:53:37

 > Catchy headline but untrue.
 >
 > Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
 > and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.
 >
 > http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

The "public version" of this story is that a U.S. citizen named
Maher Hawash, who made donations to a middle-east organization
is being held as a material witness in the investigation of a
terrorist ring.

We probably won't know the real story until much later, like
when the cases are prosecuted.  It may be that he didn't even
know that he was dealing with terrorists, but now that he's been
picked up, he's been able to give a great deal of information,
other members of the organization, other organizations with
similar interests, or related information.

Keep in mind that building a case against terrorists is much
like building a case against organized crime.  When they get a
witness who can give information that is almost certain to lead
to convictions, they like to hold them as material witnesses.
Under normal circumstances, protective custody cells are the
safest place to put a witness until the trial.

It's not a great situation, but it beats getting captured by the
'bad guys' and tortured to find out what you told them, before
they kill you in a less than pleasant way, to make an example of
you and prevent anyone else from cooperating.

 > Bush *IS* Saddam!
Bush talks like a texas redneck, and he's probably not the
brightest bulb on the family tree, but he seems to be pretty
good at picking better people than him for critical tasks, and
then getting out of the way and letting them do their job.

Now that the focus has shifted from drug dealers and organized
crime-lords to terrorists (which often is financed by drug
dealers and organized crime), we just get some new headlines.
It is a new type of criminal, but the tactics aren't
significantly different from the techniques used to get to the
top level drug dealers and godfathers.

Something tells me that if I knew that I knew something about
some terrorists, that I got picked up by some police officers
and found out that 20-30 of my closest friends were directly
involed in terrorist activities, and that I knew some of their
friends who even seem like terrorists, I wouldn't want to go
home after a lengthy brain-dump to the FBI.  Better to stay
somewhere safe until it's over.  And flea-bag motels really
aren't that secure.

--
Rex Ballard
Leading Open Source Advocate

Richard Stallman arrested by FBI for Terrorism

Post by webgia » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 05:57:13

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 05:53:37 -0400, Rex Ballard

> > Catchy headline but untrue.

> > Read this and see exactly how it could happen to RMS, Linus,
> > and anybody else Bush doesn't trust or like.

> > http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58326,00.html

> The "public version" of this story is that a U.S. citizen named
> Maher Hawash, who made donations to a middle-east organization
> is being held as a material witness in the investigation of a
> terrorist ring.

I see.  Violating the Bill of Rights is O.K. when you're
"fighting terrorism".  Nevermind that U.S. citizens have
their rights even if they are being charged with *treason*,
let alone making donations to

Quote:> We probably won't know the real story until much later, like
> when the cases are prosecuted.  It may be that he didn't even
> know that he was dealing with terrorists, but now that he's been
> picked up, he's been able to give a great deal of information,
> other members of the organization, other organizations with
> similar interests, or related information.

The way you're justifying violating the civil rights of a
U.S. citizen is frightening to everyone else, to say the least.

Quote:> Keep in mind that building a case against terrorists is much
> like building a case against organized crime.  When they get a
> witness who can give information that is almost certain to lead
> to convictions, they like to hold them as material witnesses.
> Under normal circumstances, protective custody cells are the
> safest place to put a witness until the trial.

> It's not a great situation, but it beats getting captured by the
> 'bad guys' and tortured to find out what you told them, before
> they kill you in a less than pleasant way, to make an example of
> you and prevent anyone else from cooperating.

And what happens when you want to handle your own security?
Whoops, you don't get your civil rights, just because Emperor
Dubya decrees that it be so, because his God has told him to
fight terrorism in this manner?

Pull the other one, it has got bells on.

Quote:> > Bush *IS* Saddam!

> Bush talks like a texas redneck, and he's probably not the
> brightest bulb on the family tree, but he seems to be pretty
> good at picking better people than him for critical tasks, and
> then getting out of the way and letting them do their job.

> Now that the focus has shifted from drug dealers and organized
> crime-lords to terrorists (which often is financed by drug
> dealers and organized crime), we just get some new headlines.
> It is a new type of criminal, but the tactics aren't
> significantly different from the techniques used to get to the
> top level drug dealers and godfathers.

We gave even suspected drug dealers their *civil rights*.
U.S. citizens who are suspected of any crime *should* get
their Civil Rights, no matter what Emperor Dubya puts into
his regal decrees.

Remember Jose Padilla?  The bonafide U.S. citizen picked up
with worthless "nuclear bomb" plans, no fissionable material,
and no definite target?  According to our U.S. Constitution,
he was supposed to get his full civil rights as required by
the Bill of Rights.  Instead, Emperor Bush used a Presidential
Decree to *amend the U.S. Constitution*, and sent Jose Padilla
off to an unspecified military base, to be tried by a
civil-rights-ignoring *military tribunal*.

Gee, thanks for providing me not only with another example
of how Emperor Dubya is violating the civil rights of another
U.S. citizen, but with the words of an American citizen who
is perfectly willing to trade *his own liberty* for the
illusion of security.

For if the government can violate your civil rights by simply
claiming "we're doing it to fight terrorism", then
*NO ONE IS SAFE* and any "security" from the actions of such
a government is an *illusion*.

Quote:> Something tells me that if I knew that I knew something about
> some terrorists, that I got picked up by some police officers
> and found out that 20-30 of my closest friends were directly
> involed in terrorist activities, and that I knew some of their
> friends who even seem like terrorists, I wouldn't want to go
> home after a lengthy brain-dump to the FBI.  Better to stay
> somewhere safe until it's over.  And flea-bag motels really
> aren't that secure.

Blah blah blah.  Personal security is another right.  If you
haven't been arrested, you can't be held, at least according
to the U.S. Constitution.

According to the Dubya Theocracy, what a U.S. citizen has
for civil rights is another matter entirely, and the U.S.
Constitution is no protection for anyone.

1. Richard Stallman was at my University!

Just in case anybody was interested, I met RMS yesterday.

He helt a speech at my university (http://www.fu-berlin.de) about the
GNU philosophy (esentially the same things as in earlier speeches as
published on the GNU website).

Several students (myself included) also had the chances to talk to him
later on.

It was fun. RMS is a surprisingly funny person, not even considering
that he didn't were shoes during the lecture...

Good nite.

(I will probably publish an article about this on 32BitsOnline this
weekend.)

--
Fan of Woody Allen
User of MacOS, BeOS, LinuxPPC

2. Exceed Hummingbird

3. Richard Stallman On FOSS GNU And Freedom

4. 8mm Narr. Diff., EXB-8505DT, supported on HP 7xx???

5. Richard Stallman's CACM article...

6. PROBLEM: RTL8029 stops working after being flood pinged

7. Richard Stallman Speaking In Washington DC

8. Dumb DNS question

9. Linux and the GNU system by Richard Stallman

10. Richard Stallman, the GPL, the politics and ethics of OSS/FSS

11. NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux

12. Richard Stallman Streaming Video - Part II