Another reason why OSS is great.

Post by Edward Roste » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:21:50

This time it's pan in the spotlight.

Pan 0.11.0 messed up royally on me. It made a pigs ear of the threading
and could not get it right whatever I did. This messup also made it prone
to segging.

So I thought, time to get version 0.11.1.

Firstly, the download (source) was 1.4M. That is tiny. I have never seen
so many features packed in to so few bytes outside the world of OSS. I
then compiled it. I didn't time it, but from what I remember it took
_less_ time to compile than the last one. I'm very sensitive to compile
times, having an old P133. And thirdly, after just 10 minutes of use, it
seems a bit snappier at doing things (especially with several tasks
running at once).

Well, it's nice for a change for new versions to be smaller, faster and
more stable than the old versions.

-Ed

--

/d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
{moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:07:46

> This time it's pan in the spotlight.

> Pan 0.11.0 messed up royally on me. It made a pigs ear of the threading
> and could not get it right whatever I did. This messup also made it
> prone to segging.

> So I thought, time to get version 0.11.1.

> Firstly, the download (source) was 1.4M. That is tiny. I have never seen
> so many features packed in to so few bytes outside the world of OSS. I
> then compiled it. I didn't time it, but from what I remember it took
> _less_ time to compile than the last one. I'm very sensitive to compile
> times, having an old P133. And thirdly, after just 10 minutes of use, it
> seems a bit snappier at doing things (especially with several tasks
> running at once).

> Well, it's nice for a change for new versions to be smaller, faster and
> more stable than the old versions.

Reading and posting with it now.  PAN has always been one of my favorite
examples of an OSS project done right.  They've been true to the UNIX way
of doing things; do one thing right, keep it small, and keep it simple.

Post by Edward Rost » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:47:45

> Reading and posting with it now.  PAN has always been one of my favorite
> examples of an OSS project done right.  They've been true to the UNIX way
> of doing things; do one thing right, keep it small, and keep it simple.

Yep. Small and simple is good. It meand I still have no need to
upgrade my computer. Hell, why should I?

-Ed

1. TOP 10 REASONS WHY LINUX IS GREAT

--
Sourcemage GNU/Linux                         /~\  ASCII Ribbon campaign
Linux so advanced it may as well be magic    \_/ stop HTML mail and news

2. XFree86 setup for Diamond Stealth 64 2001 (DRAM)

3. Why Unix is great, and why Gates should be hung

4. KDE and QT problems

5. Common Sense Reasons OSS will prevail

6. Linux Logo?

7. top 10 reasons Linux is great

8. Does FreeBSD and Linux have the same commands?

9. I am Bobert the Great!

10. Non-technical reasons why Linux is superior

11. There is ONLY ONE reason why I use Windows

12. why do some processes die for no reason?

13. POLL: OSS Application Availability (or: If you could have one OSS software application currently unavailable....)