Swift justice for Microsoft (was: There will be *no* Merced-version of OS/2)

Post by Brian Knott » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

>> The IBM anti-trust suit went 13 years before it was dismissed and never
>> even made it to trial. The AT&T anti-trust suit went 8 years, and only
>> ended then because AT&T stopped contesting it.
>The US Tobacco anti-trust suit lasted how long? The American Aluminum
>anti-trust lasted how long? The Hollywood anti-trust suit lasted how
>long? The suit doesn't have to be a long, drawn-out affair. And can MS
>afford to fight a long, drawn-out anti-trust suit, especially one that
>has the very real potential of forcing its customers to question MS
>stability and future.

Trial date been set: Sept. 8. I saw the Connecticut Atty. Gen. on Fox News,
and he predicted the whole case will be wrapped up by the end of the year.

So, you are absolutely right: it doesn't need to be a long, drawn-out affair,
and it's not going to be.

                   "Free Beef with the tires you buy"

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. NFS on two RH5.2 machines

3. 2nd CFV: comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.announce, comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc

5. frontend

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Boot Problems

11. I am si**y am I?

12. I am tired of being duped by Microsoft