Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by David Steinbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Wow!  These are exciting times to be using Linux!

Corel has just announced that they are shipping WordPerfect Office Suite
for Linux tommorrow:
http://www.newsalert.com/bin/clipstry?StoryId=ConwWudCbmdm1tG

And then, there's Mozilla.  The next-generation, open source browser from
Netscape that will soon be blowing the pants off of IE,
cross-platform.  It's going beta in just 25 days:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000320/ca_netscap_1.html

Okay, so maybe Linux still isn't suited for everyone's home computer.
But, with these kinds of applications coming out, there is no reason that
it couldn't be the desktop of choice for many non-technical users in
businesses.  Compared to Windows, it's cheaper, more stable, just as easy
to use, and now it's got the apps, too!  It's also LESS trouble to
install and support, for a trained IT team that knows what it's doing.

And then, there's XFree 4.0 and KDE 2 coming very soon!  It just keep s
getting better and beter for us!

--
David Steinberg                         -o)   Boycott Amazon.com!  Fight
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC     / \   the "1-Click Order" patent:

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the 20 Mar 2000 17:23:35 GMT...

Quote:> And then, there's XFree 4.0 and KDE 2 coming very soon!  It just keep s
> getting better and beter for us!

XFree86 4.0 is already out.

KDE 2 is just some weeks/months ahead.

And don't forget that we've got three major steps to GNOME 2.0
scheduled for this year:

April GNOME will give us a little overhaul and general improvement of
the suite again, preserving compatibility.

August GNOME will release Nautilus, the Eazel file manager developed
by members of the original Mac development team, and Evolution (the
mail/groupware app) upon the GNOME world.

And with November GNOME, we'll step the development platform up and
reach GNOME 2.0.

Then there's Abiword and Gnumeric doing quite fine, too.

mawa
--
Ich kann mich noch ganz genau daran erinnern, als ich von meinem
Kanzler das erste Subventionsbonbon bekam. Es waren W?hler's Original,

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by David Steinbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: XFree86 4.0 is already out.

My bad.  Oops... :)

: And don't forget that we've got three major steps to GNOME 2.0
: scheduled for this year:
: April GNOME will give us a little overhaul and general improvement of
: the suite again, preserving compatibility.
: August GNOME will release Nautilus, the Eazel file manager developed
: by members of the original Mac development team, and Evolution (the
: mail/groupware app) upon the GNOME world.

Really, I had no idea that GNOME was progressing so quickly.  I haven't
heard nearly as much noise about it as I have about KDE recently.  I
didn't realize that Nautilus and Evolution were coming up so soon.

I didn't mean to offend.  Personally, my desktop gets its look from
E and GNOME, and it's very sweet.  Of course, I've got the KDE packages
installed too, and use some KDE apps.  But, when KDE 2 is released, I'll
be giving  the desktop another look.  It seems that KDE is winning the
hype war, at least from where I'm sitting.  I've been eagerly anticipating
their new release, but have remained clueless about what's up in GNOME
world.  I think it's the state of KOffice, more than anything else, that's
really caught people's attention.

Last I'd heard AbiWord and GNUmeric didn't really offer the kind of
integration (embedable parts) that KOffice apps do/will.  Is there an
effort underway to move in that direction?

Mmmm...so many choices... :)

--
David Steinberg                         -o)   Boycott Amazon.com!  Fight
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC     / \   the "1-Click Order" patent:

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by cbbro.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when David Steinberg would say:

>: XFree86 4.0 is already out.

>My bad.  Oops... :)

>: And don't forget that we've got three major steps to GNOME 2.0
>: scheduled for this year:
>: April GNOME will give us a little overhaul and general improvement of
>: the suite again, preserving compatibility.
>: August GNOME will release Nautilus, the Eazel file manager developed
>: by members of the original Mac development team, and Evolution (the
>: mail/groupware app) upon the GNOME world.

>Really, I had no idea that GNOME was progressing so quickly.  I haven't
>heard nearly as much noise about it as I have about KDE recently.  I
>didn't realize that Nautilus and Evolution were coming up so soon.

>I didn't mean to offend.  Personally, my desktop gets its look from
>E and GNOME, and it's very sweet.  Of course, I've got the KDE packages
>installed too, and use some KDE apps.  But, when KDE 2 is released, I'll
>be giving  the desktop another look.  It seems that KDE is winning the
>hype war, at least from where I'm sitting.  I've been eagerly anticipating
>their new release, but have remained clueless about what's up in GNOME
>world.  I think it's the state of KOffice, more than anything else, that's
>really caught people's attention.

>Last I'd heard AbiWord and GNUmeric didn't really offer the kind of
>integration (embedable parts) that KOffice apps do/will.  Is there an
>effort underway to move in that direction?

I saw Bonobo embedding in action at ALS last fall; Miguel was running
a Postscript image manipulator embedded inside Gnumeric.

I would have little problem with going along with the notion that
AbiWord is "not quite where you'd like;" it is rather more a replacement
for Microsoft WordPad rather than Word.

In contrast, Gnumeric is *quite* impressive, vastly moreso than the
"vaporware" that is kspread at this point.  The Koffice web site
may have screen shots of kword, but not of kspread...
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #91. "When I create a multimedia
presentation of my plan designed so that my five-year-old advisor can

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by pidd » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

<snipped>

You, sir, are a troll!

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by David Steinbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: <snipped>
: You, sir, are a troll!

You, sir, are jumping to conclusions.

I was ignorant about the state of GNOME.  So sue me.  The point of my post
was to express e*ment about the large number of desktop applications
arriving all the time for Linux.  Surely that couldn't be considered
trolling, not in comp.os.linux.advocacy?  Not when the most oft-repeated
claim against Linux by the winvocates is "lack of applications."

Geez, feeling a little judgemental today?

--
David Steinberg                         -o)   Boycott Amazon.com!  Fight
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC     / \   the "1-Click Order" patent:

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the 20 Mar 2000 23:28:32 GMT...

> : XFree86 4.0 is already out.

> My bad.  Oops... :)

It does Just Fine(TM) on my machine. And with it, I got rid of having
Netscape display its icons in black-and-white.

Quote:> : And don't forget that we've got three major steps to GNOME 2.0
> : scheduled for this year:
> : April GNOME will give us a little overhaul and general improvement of
> : the suite again, preserving compatibility.
> : August GNOME will release Nautilus, the Eazel file manager developed
> : by members of the original Mac development team, and Evolution (the
> : mail/groupware app) upon the GNOME world.

> Really, I had no idea that GNOME was progressing so quickly.  I haven't
> heard nearly as much noise about it as I have about KDE recently.

The GNOME project don't make as much noise as KDE (usually).

Quote:> I didn't realize that Nautilus and Evolution were coming up so soon.

Nautilus is already a usable piece of software, for sufficiently small
values of "usable", that is. A very, very impressive file manager.

Quote:> I didn't mean to offend.  Personally, my desktop gets its look from
> E and GNOME, and it's very sweet.  Of course, I've got the KDE packages
> installed too, and use some KDE apps.  But, when KDE 2 is released, I'll
> be giving  the desktop another look.  It seems that KDE is winning the
> hype war, at least from where I'm sitting.

Seems like it. But then, we've got two start-up companies that are
rather gung-ho about supporting GNOME, and with the adoption of GNOME
by TurboLinux, it seems that we are going to see GNOME market share go
up in Asia.

Quote:> I've been eagerly anticipating
> their new release, but have remained clueless about what's up in GNOME
> world.  I think it's the state of KOffice, more than anything else, that's
> really caught people's attention.

Yes. KOffice, especially KWord, is impressive. However, as another
poster has pointed out, Gnumeric is probably the best free spreadsheet
out there and it is rapidly evolving.

Quote:> Last I'd heard AbiWord and GNUmeric didn't really offer the kind of
> integration (embedable parts) that KOffice apps do/will.  Is there an
> effort underway to move in that direction?

AbiWord has GNOME integration to some degree, and I think there are
people trying to get Bonobo support into it.

mawa
--
When I'm out in the sun too long, I don't just think along a
tangent...  I /AM/ one.

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by Roberto Alsin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> In contrast, Gnumeric is *quite* impressive, vastly moreso than the
> "vaporware" that is kspread at this point.

Why is it vaporware? You can download it today, and you could have
downloaded it any day for over a year.

Quote:> The Koffice web site may have screen shots of kword, but not of
> kspread...

What are you talking about? Did you actually go to the website? If you
follow the clearly visible link that says "KSpread" you get to a page
where it says "Screenshots", and lo and behold...

http://koffice.kde.org/kspread/screenshots.html includes two screenshots
(rather old, though) showing KSpread embedding stuff (which shows,
anyway, that this embedding stuff is not precisely new).

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by JEDIDI » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Wow!  These are exciting times to be using Linux!

>Corel has just announced that they are shipping WordPerfect Office Suite
>for Linux tommorrow:
>http://www.newsalert.com/bin/clipstry?StoryId=ConwWudCbmdm1tG

        StarOffice was already quite suitable for many people who had
        to deal with Windows-esque content. SO5 even handles Excel
        files better than the 97 version of 123.

        Yes I know that SO5 is a bit knewer, but I had higher expectations
        of Lotus...

[deletia]

--

        So long as Apple uses Quicktime to effectively          |||
        make web based video 'Windows only' Club,              / | \

                                Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

Linux on the Desktop...TODAY!

Post by JEDIDI » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>: <snipped>
>: You, sir, are a troll!

>You, sir, are jumping to conclusions.

>I was ignorant about the state of GNOME.  So sue me.  The point of my post

        Pointing your browser at www.gnome.org is all you need to do to
        cure that particular condition...

        Alternately, you could point yourself at icewalk.com, freshmeat.net
        or Tucows...