For those of you tired of canned distributions...

For those of you tired of canned distributions...

Post by Darre » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:35:19

Why not build your own Linux from scratch?

http://www.au.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/intro.shtml
(for some reason I filed this bookmark under "Australia")

Then to build X from scratch on top of your LFS - grab
the sources from:
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.1.0/source/

Once you have that done - you could easily install GNOME -
just follow the instructions in the GNOME installation guide:
http://www.karubik.de/gig/

And there you have it .. a raw Linux/X/GNOME box -
no Debian, no Redhat, no Caldera, no SuSE, no Mandrake ..

Just a pure hotrod of a PC built from the ground up.

I must say I do like converting tarballs into RPMs - but that's
easy: "rpm -ta <tarball>"

RPMs makes configuration management a snap - even easier than on a
MS-Windows box.

It's Linux folks - have fun with it.

Darren
--No job is too small for dynamite.

Post by Adam Warne » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:05:16

> Why not build your own Linux from scratch?

And for those who want to spend the rest of their lives managing security
updates themselves go right ahead!

Quote:> And there you have it .. a raw Linux/X/GNOME box - no Debian, no Redhat,
> no Caldera, no SuSE, no Mandrake ..

No automated updates. No security updates. No database of programs that
can be searched to install (apt-get search). No database of what you have
installed at your fingertips (dpkg -l). A lack of really well designed
configuration and removal scripts that make installing and removing
packages a breeze (like most Debian packages). No easy way to
automatically download dependencies.

Quote:> Just a pure hotrod of a PC built from the ground up.

It would be a fun exercise. But not an efficient one for ongoing
administration of your PC.

Quote:> I must say I do like converting tarballs into RPMs - but that's easy:
> "rpm -ta <tarball>"

> RPMs makes configuration management a snap - even easier than on a
> MS-Windows box.

> It's Linux folks - have fun with it.

That's what you're describing, fun :-)

Regards,
Adam

Post by snootycu.. » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:11:02

>Why not build your own Linux from scratch?

Christine Abernathy

Terry's knowledge of Linux after 4 years is laughable

*>On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:36:57 GMT, Ed Allen in article

*>>    Try:
*>>       killall lyx
*>That worked :)
*>>    or
*>>       kill `pidof lyx`
*>That worked too :)
*>Whats more they both killed multiple instances of Lyx
*>>    The backticks execute the command inside and then return the
*>>    result as if you had typed the process ID numbers as
*>>    arguments to the 'kill' command.
*>>    These are both part of the psmisc package on <http://freshmeat.net>
*>>    and should be in almost every distro already.
*>Thanks again Ed, you're a damn handy Cola resource!
*>Tery
He can't even spell his own name!!

For those of you tired of canned distributions...

Post by Darre » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:54:23

Gary couldn't possibly be Flatfish!! Gary must be some sort of bird -
An MS-Parrot !!!
Gary certainly isn't human.

[Gary's unoriginal content SNIPPED]

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:44:21

> Gary couldn't possibly be Flatfish!! Gary must be some sort of bird - An
> MS-Parrot !!!
> Gary certainly isn't human.

> [Gary's unoriginal content SNIPPED]

Snooty-flatty is an AI* program.  And somebody desperately needs to
rewrite the "if(offtopic) exit()" subroutine... it's completely broke with
the current release.

*Automated Ignorance

--
Redmond is the Detroit of the new millenium.

For those of you tired of canned distributions...

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:31:08

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Darren

 wrote
on Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:35:19 GMT

Quote:> Why not build your own Linux from scratch?

> http://www.au.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/intro.shtml
> (for some reason I filed this bookmark under "Australia")

Well, you are accessing an Aussie mirror, from the looks of it. :-)

Quote:

> Then to build X from scratch on top of your LFS - grab
> the sources from:
> http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.1.0/source/

> Once you have that done - you could easily install GNOME -
> just follow the instructions in the GNOME installation guide:
> http://www.karubik.de/gig/

Is there a KDE variant for this as well?  I'd hope so.

Quote:

> And there you have it .. a raw Linux/X/GNOME box -
> no Debian, no Redhat, no Caldera, no SuSE, no Mandrake ..

> Just a pure hotrod of a PC built from the ground up.

> I must say I do like converting tarballs into RPMs - but that's
> easy: "rpm -ta <tarball>"

> RPMs makes configuration management a snap - even easier than on a
> MS-Windows box.

I'm preferntial to .deb files, myself, although I've not yet
looked up how to make them myself. :-)

Quote:

> It's Linux folks - have fun with it.

I'll admit I'm contemplating setting up a basic Debian system
just to build LFS using it and then overwrite it completely. :-)
(It requires 2.4.16, as of book version 3.1.)

I should also point out that some of the stuff comes from CVS, for
those interested in near-bleeding-edge development. :-)  (I'm
not sure I'm quite that crazy -- yet.  But it's a nice option, for
those so inclined; I download WinE using CVS on occasion.)

But yeah, shades of the 50's.  Linux is making computing fun again. :-)

Quote:

> Darren
> --No job is too small for dynamite.

--

EAC code #191       24d:00h:21m actually running Linux.
                    The Internet routes around censorship.

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. basic infos about wireless-security?

3. Programming for Internationalization FAQ

4. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

5. UNIX SUCKS!!!! (kidding)

6. CGI: apache canned response

7. 2.5.12 severe ext3 filesystem corruption warning!

8. Canned "ping"

9. Any Canned Class code?

10. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

11. How to build Debian binary distribution from source distribution?

12. distrib a system for software distribution - an idea for software distribution