XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Doug. » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:50:37

M$ finally begins to reveal it's true intentions with it's lastest build.

XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Matthew Gardine » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:48:06

Some of the features are non-events, and most people have seen them coming
weeks before the announcement.  In short, sweet conclusion, if you don't
like it, don't use it.  Billie Gates and his cronies (hopefully), will not
visit your house and force you use to Windows.  If you don't like the
situation, then simply, don't upgrade, or if you are going to buy a new
computer, get a Mac w/ MacOS X and Office X, which is more than adequate for
most users (90% of users), or if you are a hardout power user/programmer,
grab a SUN workstation and use the freely available development tools.

Matthew Gardiner

Quote:> M$ finally begins to reveal it's true intentions with it's lastest build.

Post by ~?~ » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:55:32

Quote:> M$ finally begins to reveal it's true intentions with it's lastest build.

Nothing like the totally unbiased view from the register.
The Robert Novak of Open source.

XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Marada C. Shradraka » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:18:22

Quote:>If you don't like the
>situation, then simply, don't upgrade, or if you are going to buy a new
>computer

The problem I can see with this is as follows:

If they can't get you to buy the system on its own merit, as long as you need
WinXX binary compatibility, all they need to do is wait until some new piece of
hardware doesn't work under the old version, and then you're stuck.  This did
happen with Win95-- the version you could buy in the stores (not the OEM
special unobtainable version) didn't support USB AFAICT, and broke on fast
K6-series processors (>350MHz), and fixes weren't really offered.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Matthew Gardine » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:15:36

Quote:> >If you don't like the
> >situation, then simply, don't upgrade, or if you are going to buy a new
> >computer

> The problem I can see with this is as follows:

> If they can't get you to buy the system on its own merit, as long as you
need
> WinXX binary compatibility, all they need to do is wait until some new
piece of
> hardware doesn't work under the old version, and then you're stuck.  This
did
> happen with Win95-- the version you could buy in the stores (not the OEM
> special unobtainable version) didn't support USB AFAICT, and broke on fast
> K6-series processors (>350MHz), and fixes weren't really offered.

Fixes were actually offered for the K6 chip. Also, why not use a Mac?
compared to a mid range, brand name PeeCee, they are pretty much a tie, and
in terms of applications and OS, how many average users have more than 4
pieces of software at home?  If you are a corp. or small business why not
buy a suite of SUN Blade 100 Desktops loaded with StarOffice and GNOME 2.0
(Once released)?

Matthew Gardiner

Post by mmn.. » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:18:29

> Some of the features are non-events, and most people have seen them coming
> weeks before the announcement.  In short, sweet conclusion, if you don't
> like it, don't use it.

<snip>

I'll bet at least 80% of computer use is by employees who have
no choice of what OS to use.

XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Matthew Gardine » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:23:14

Management makes the decision on whether they should waste $1500 per desktop
in software costs, not the employee. However, when the shit hits the fan,
its not the management that takes the shit, its the poor employee.  Maybe
some of these companies should take a more of an "Open Business" approach
used by Hubbard's Cereals or Comalco Aluminum and including the input of
employees when making decisions that will effect them in their working
environment.

Matthew Gardiner

> > Some of the features are non-events, and most people have seen them
coming
> > weeks before the announcement.  In short, sweet conclusion, if you don't
> > like it, don't use it.
> <snip>

> I'll bet at least 80% of computer use is by employees who have
> no choice of what OS to use.

XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Marada C. Shradraka » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:48:52

Quote:>Fixes were actually offered for the K6 chip.

The "official" fix I saw was marked as for OSR2-- not the retail version.  I
have seen an unoffical repackaging of the fix for other revisions, but by then,
it was too late for me.

Quote:>Also, why not use a Mac?
>compared to a mid range, brand name PeeCee, they are pretty much a tie,

A lot of people, especially home users, are going to be attracted to that $499
eMachines box with the $400 rebate if you sign your kidneys over to LargeISP,
over the $799 or more Mac.
--

Post by Matthew Gardine » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:32:56

Quote:> >Fixes were actually offered for the K6 chip.

> The "official" fix I saw was marked as for OSR2-- not the retail version.
> have seen an unoffical repackaging of the fix for other revisions, but by
then,
> it was too late for me.

OSR2 should have been the only one affected by the problem (due to the high
freqency of the chip).

Quote:> >Also, why not use a Mac?
> >compared to a mid range, brand name PeeCee, they are pretty much a tie,

> A lot of people, especially home users, are going to be attracted to that
$499
> eMachines box with the $400 rebate if you sign your kidneys over to
LargeISP,
> over the $799 or more Mac.

In New Zealand, you would be lucky to get a personal computer for under
$2000 +GST. Mind you, most people I have met would rather save up, and
purchase a good quality setup that will last them years, even newbies, vs.
getting an "el cheapo" brand computer with multiple problems.  Considering
that there are easy finance plans that can spread $25 payments over 3 years,
owning a good quality computer is not a hard task.

Matthew Gardiner

XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

Post by Ayende Rahie » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:51:44

Quote:

> In New Zealand, you would be lucky to get a personal computer for under
> $2000 +GST. Mind you, most people I have met would rather save up, and
> purchase a good quality setup that will last them years, even newbies, vs.
> getting an "el cheapo" brand computer with multiple problems.  Considering
> that there are easy finance plans that can spread $25 payments over 3
years,
> owning a good quality computer is not a hard task.

Here you can also get a pretty good price reduction for trade in, as well.
And a good computer, btw, is likely to last for a *long* time.
I'd the same computer for over 3 years, I could keep on using it if I
weren't eager to get the latest & best.

Post by Matthew Gardine » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:25:04

> > In New Zealand, you would be lucky to get a personal computer for under
> > $2000 +GST. Mind you, most people I have met would rather save up, and
> > purchase a good quality setup that will last them years, even newbies,
vs.
> > getting an "el cheapo" brand computer with multiple problems.
Considering
> > that there are easy finance plans that can spread $25 payments over 3
> years,
> > owning a good quality computer is not a hard task.

> Here you can also get a pretty good price reduction for trade in, as well.
> And a good computer, btw, is likely to last for a *long* time.
> I'd the same computer for over 3 years, I could keep on using it if I
> weren't eager to get the latest & best.

I've got a PIII 550 w/384MB of ram.  I'm just going to wait until the end of
next year, or the middle of the year after and decide whether I need
upgrade, which I most likely don't. Since I don't use the latest wizz bang
"features", "games" and "performance" is not an issue for me I won't need to
upgrade, also, by that time I would have this computer for 4 years.

Matthew Gardiner

1. True Color, is this true?

I was talking to a friend about going into color higher than 8-bit,
and he told me the only way is to purchase a server from a company
directly.  The distribution of X (I got mine with slackware) does not
have servers that support greater than 8-bit color, is this true?

dave

2. Philips EasyISDN under Linux? NT 4.0?

3. color index on true color display ?

4. how to use netstat to free up a port on Solaris 8 ?

5. high color and true color

6. Kernel 1.2 & SMC Ultra problems

7. Our Secret Identies Finally Revealed

8. LILO

9. Flatfishes *true* identity revealed at last!

10. anonymous ftp reveals true user identity?!

11. XP has Microsoft finally caught up to the Mac?

12. Can Diamond 968 4MB VRAM do 1280x1024 True Color?