Linux and Perl

Post by Eric Wilhel » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 05:16:17

That is a beautiful thing.

Simple.
Powerful.

--Eric

Linux and Perl

Post by Rozallin J. Thompso » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:26:04

> That is a beautiful thing.

> Simple.
> Powerful.

And it's a very powerful medium to write poetry in! Right now I'm writing an
epic tale about my ex-boyfriend, who sent my heart to /dev/null, and how I am
replacing him with a *very* *small* shell script.

But seriously, it's a very powerful, and beautiful langauage.

--
Rozallin J. Thompson

Linux and Perl

Post by Mart van de Weg » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:59:55

> That is a beautiful thing.

> Simple.
> Powerful.

And in 6 months you won't understand a line of the scripts you wrote ;-)

Seriously, Perl is the Swiss Army knife of programming languages,
although its main power is in data processing. Unfortunately it has no
constraints whatsoever, so it is so easy to write messy, hard to
understand code.

Just keep yourself disciplined and force yourself to write clear code
even for simple one-shot scripts and you'll be fine. More than fine in
fact, because you are right, the combination of Perl and a Unix-like
Operating System is just about one of the most powerful things around in
terms of what you can do with it.

Mart

--
"You take me everywhere that I've never been and
Show me the meaning of what life had to give and

Linux and Perl

Post by Ian Pege » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 23:42:51

For it was written by Mart van de Wege:

>> That is a beautiful thing.

>> Simple.
>> Powerful.

> And in 6 months you won't understand a line of the scripts you wrote ;-)

That happens to me whatever language I use...

--

Ian - looking through a glass onion

Linux and Perl

Post by WarpKa » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 00:43:45

> That is a beautiful thing.

> Simple.
> Powerful.

> --Eric

I prefer PHP...

Linux and Perl

Post by Kenneth Down » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 05:44:17

> For it was written by Mart van de Wege:

>>> That is a beautiful thing.

>>> Simple.
>>> Powerful.

>> And in 6 months you won't understand a line of the scripts you wrote ;-)

> That happens to me whatever language I use...

LOL!

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love