Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by Nobod » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:16:53

"We believe that within the next 18-24 months, installing a Linux-based
software package will become as normal as installing a Windows or Sun
Solaris system," Damon Kovelsky, an analyst with IDC Financial Services,
said in a report last month."

"Linux awareness and acceptance by corporate IT buyers has shot through
 the roof, and Linux is being championed by the likes of IBM, Hewlett
 Packard and Dublin's Sybase Inc."

"The market view of Linux is very positive, Techtel's Kelly says. Ninety
percent of those surveyed have a positive view of Linux and Unix, compared
to 89 percent positive for Windows 2000, 81 percent for Windows NT and 71
percent for Windows XP."

"That dissatisfaction with Windows XP is a golden opportunity for Linux
distributors who have established themselves in the server market and are
increasingly eager to battle Microsoft Corp. on the desktop, Kelly says.
And for Microsoft XP, dissatisfaction is a time bomb."

"Each time they sell one of these things they have a 30 percent chance of
somebody being unhappy they bought it," Kelly said. That's a lot of
customers going about bad mouthing a system that "they are trapped into
buying," he said.

Read about it here:
http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/01/20/story1.html

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by CrazyTrai » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:33:55

Quote:> "We believe that within the next 18-24 months, installing a Linux-based
> software package will become as normal as installing a Windows or Sun
> Solaris system," Damon Kovelsky, an analyst with IDC Financial Services,
> said in a report last month."

> "Linux awareness and acceptance by corporate IT buyers has shot through
>  the roof, and Linux is being championed by the likes of IBM, Hewlett
>  Packard and Dublin's Sybase Inc."

> "The market view of Linux is very positive, Techtel's Kelly says. Ninety
> percent of those surveyed have a positive view of Linux and Unix, compared
> to 89 percent positive for Windows 2000, 81 percent for Windows NT and 71
> percent for Windows XP."

> "That dissatisfaction with Windows XP is a golden opportunity for Linux
> distributors who have established themselves in the server market and are
> increasingly eager to battle Microsoft Corp. on the desktop, Kelly says.
> And for Microsoft XP, dissatisfaction is a time bomb."

> "Each time they sell one of these things they have a 30 percent chance of
> somebody being unhappy they bought it," Kelly said. That's a lot of
> customers going about bad mouthing a system that "they are trapped into
> buying," he said.

> Read about it here:
> http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/01/20/story1.html

  I don't think you can say that end users don't like XP and will like
linux.    You thought Windows was hard, here's Linux.  Have fun.  Oh, what's
a matter you don't know how to run fdisk, you're not sure what chipset is in
your video card?  Yeah, I can see linux taking the desktop, in 10 years when
they are as easy to use as XP is now, but wait MS won't stand still.  Shit.

Post by Nobod » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:50:26

>   I don't think you can say that end users don't like XP and will like
> linux.

Lets read that again: "Ninety percent of those surveyed have a positive
view of Linux and Unix, compared to 89 percent positive for Windows 2000,
81 percent for Windows NT and 71 percent for Windows XP."  Only 10% of
those surveyed had a negative view of Linux versus 29% for XP.

re:"You thought Windows was hard, here's Linux.  Have fun.  Oh,

Quote:> what's a matter you don't know how to run fdisk"

The only time you have to run fdisk in Linux is when you are formatting a
hard drive, just like in Windows.  Bad example.

re:"you're not sure what chipset is in your video card?"

FYI, Linux is a totally PnP OS.  People installing RH8 and Mandrake 9 have
reported fewer hardware detection/driver problems than the people
installing XP.  Bad Example.

re:"Yeah, I can see linux taking the desktop, in 10 years when they are as
easy to use as XP is now, but wait MS won't stand still."

When Windows 95 was released, Linux was absolutely nothing.  The base OS
was working and they had just gotten XWindows working. No KDE, no gnome,
no PnP, etc.  Now look at Linux: Open Office, Pan, Evolution, KDE or
Gnome, etc. etc. etc.  The point is that Linux development is occuring at
a much faster rate than Windows development is.  Furthermore, this year is
going to see released the following major packages: RH 8.1, Mandrake
9.1,RH Corporate Desktop, KDE 3.1, Kernel 2.6, plus whatever the OS
developers crank out.

It is going to be a big year for Linux.

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by paul cook » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:00:29

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

Quote:

>   I don't think you can say that end users don't like XP and will like
> linux.    You thought Windows was hard, here's Linux.  Have fun.  Oh,
> what's a matter you don't know how to run fdisk, you're not sure what
> chipset is in your video card?  Yeah, I can see linux taking the
> desktop, in 10 years when they are as easy to use as XP is now, but
> wait MS won't stand still.
> Shit.

come back when you've tried Knoppix... drop in the cd drive and watch it
go. The silly grin will be wiped completely off your face by that
effortless experience... the others distros are going to be just as easy
to install very soon...

They've just opened a "drop in" community IT training scheme across the
road from my flat. I dropped in on the opening day and the IT manager
was totally gobsmacked by the experience of trying Knoppix. He was under
the impression that Linux was "difficult" and required all sorts of
arcane invocations to install. I left him with a couple of CDs of
Knoppix and a some books to read up on.

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Post by RonB » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:01:24

> When Windows 95 was released, Linux was absolutely nothing.  The base OS
> was working and they had just gotten XWindows working. No KDE, no gnome,
> no PnP, etc.  Now look at Linux: Open Office, Pan, Evolution, KDE or
> Gnome, etc. etc. etc.  The point is that Linux development is occuring at
> a much faster rate than Windows development is.  Furthermore, this year is
> going to see released the following major packages: RH 8.1, Mandrake
> 9.1,RH Corporate Desktop, KDE 3.1, Kernel 2.6, plus whatever the OS
> developers crank out.

> It is going to be a big year for Linux.

Yes, it is. M$ seems hellbent on shooting themselves in the foot with XP
  licensing issues -- at a perfect time for desktop Linux. Is M$
desperate, or just brain-dead?

--
RonB
(using Lycoris Linux and Mozilla)

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by Johan Lindquis » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:29:00

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 at 18:33 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

Quote:> Shit.

ihbt, ihl. hth, hand.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 19:19:59  up 45 days, 19 min,  3 users,  load average: 1.47, 1.22, 1.14

Post by GreyClou » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:28:29

> "We believe that within the next 18-24 months, installing a Linux-based
> software package will become as normal as installing a Windows or Sun
> Solaris system," Damon Kovelsky, an analyst with IDC Financial Services,
> said in a report last month."

> "Linux awareness and acceptance by corporate IT buyers has shot through
>  the roof, and Linux is being championed by the likes of IBM, Hewlett
>  Packard and Dublin's Sybase Inc."

> "The market view of Linux is very positive, Techtel's Kelly says. Ninety
> percent of those surveyed have a positive view of Linux and Unix, compared
> to 89 percent positive for Windows 2000, 81 percent for Windows NT and 71
> percent for Windows XP."

> "That dissatisfaction with Windows XP is a golden opportunity for Linux
> distributors who have established themselves in the server market and are
> increasingly eager to battle Microsoft Corp. on the desktop, Kelly says.
> And for Microsoft XP, dissatisfaction is a time bomb."

> "Each time they sell one of these things they have a 30 percent chance of
> somebody being unhappy they bought it," Kelly said. That's a lot of
> customers going about bad mouthing a system that "they are trapped into
> buying," he said.

> Read about it here:
> http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/01/20/story1.html

My wife recently turned back in a new XP box.  Didn't like
it.

Post by GreyClou » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:29:46

>   I don't think you can say that end users don't like XP and will like
> linux.    You thought Windows was hard, here's Linux.  Have fun.  Oh, what's
> a matter you don't know how to run fdisk, you're not sure what chipset is in
> your video card?  Yeah, I can see linux taking the desktop, in 10 years when
> they are as easy to use as XP is now, but wait MS won't stand still.  Shit.

Yeah, blah, blah, blah.   If one were offered linux
pre-installed you'd see no difference.
My wife turned back in an XP box.  She hated it.

Post by CrazyTrai » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:43:12

> comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> >   I don't think you can say that end users don't like XP and will like
> > linux.    You thought Windows was hard, here's Linux.  Have fun.  Oh,
> > what's a matter you don't know how to run fdisk, you're not sure what
> > chipset is in your video card?  Yeah, I can see linux taking the
> > desktop, in 10 years when they are as easy to use as XP is now, but
> > wait MS won't stand still.
> > Shit.

> come back when you've tried Knoppix... drop in the cd drive and watch it
> go. The silly grin will be wiped completely off your face by that
> effortless experience... the others distros are going to be just as easy
> to install very soon...

Knoppix is nice.  I use it occasionally.  Makes a great free replacement for
ERD commander sans the registry editor.

Post by Charlie Eber » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:59:43

>> When Windows 95 was released, Linux was absolutely nothing.  The base OS
>> was working and they had just gotten XWindows working. No KDE, no gnome,
>> no PnP, etc.  Now look at Linux: Open Office, Pan, Evolution, KDE or
>> Gnome, etc. etc. etc.  The point is that Linux development is occuring
>> at a much faster rate than Windows development is.  Furthermore, this
>> year is going to see released the following major packages: RH 8.1,
>> Mandrake 9.1,RH Corporate Desktop, KDE 3.1, Kernel 2.6, plus whatever
>> the OS developers crank out.

>> It is going to be a big year for Linux.

> Yes, it is. M$ seems hellbent on shooting themselves in the foot with XP
>   licensing issues -- at a perfect time for desktop Linux. Is M$
> desperate, or just brain-dead?

Microsoft is reacting to overseas copying of their products and
un-authorized distribution.  They have developed XP in an attempt to
stop this.  .NET is another initiative to secure their product overseas
and stop piracy by turning MS office into .NET enabled leaseware.

Microsoft will eventually become a .NET applictions distributor who
sells their wares to MONO equipped clients.

What MS fails to understand is the overseas movement is already heading
toward Linux and away from Windows and they are chasing a market which
has evaporated.

And the only thing they are doing with their current posture is destroying
their customer base at home.

The same could be said for the DMCA.

And also NAFTA!

--
Even before 9-11 happened, we had this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/13/0249250&mode=thread&tid=172

Charlie

Post by CrazyTrai » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:13:03

> >> When Windows 95 was released, Linux was absolutely nothing.  The base
OS
> >> was working and they had just gotten XWindows working. No KDE, no
gnome,
> >> no PnP, etc.  Now look at Linux: Open Office, Pan, Evolution, KDE or
> >> Gnome, etc. etc. etc.  The point is that Linux development is occuring
> >> at a much faster rate than Windows development is.  Furthermore, this
> >> year is going to see released the following major packages: RH 8.1,
> >> Mandrake 9.1,RH Corporate Desktop, KDE 3.1, Kernel 2.6, plus whatever
> >> the OS developers crank out.

> >> It is going to be a big year for Linux.

> > Yes, it is. M$ seems hellbent on shooting themselves in the foot with XP
> >   licensing issues -- at a perfect time for desktop Linux. Is M$
> > desperate, or just brain-dead?

> Microsoft is reacting to overseas copying of their products and
> un-authorized distribution.  They have developed XP in an attempt to
> stop this.  .NET is another initiative to secure their product overseas
> and stop piracy by turning MS office into .NET enabled leaseware.

> Microsoft will eventually become a .NET applictions distributor who
> sells their wares to MONO equipped clients.

> What MS fails to understand is the overseas movement is already heading
> toward Linux and away from Windows and they are chasing a market which
> has evaporated.

> And the only thing they are doing with their current posture is destroying
> their customer base at home.

> The same could be said for the DMCA.

> And also NAFTA!

You forgot RIAA

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by Dave Leig » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:11:25

Nobody wrote on Monday 20 January 2003 12:16 in message

Quote:> "We believe that within the next 18-24 months, installing a Linux-based
> software package will become as normal as installing a Windows or Sun
> Solaris system," Damon Kovelsky, an analyst with IDC Financial Services,
> said in a report last month."

Of course, you heard it in COLA first. Christmas, 2004.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by Richard Revi » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:25:55

Charlie Ebert used a team of monkeys to generate this reply:

Quote:> Microsoft is reacting to overseas copying of their products and
> un-authorized distribution.

Overseas? It is very well pirated at home.

--
DVD: Disappointing and Very Dear
8:25pm  up 1 day,  3:13,  0 users,  load average: 1.91, 2.02, 1.46

Post by COLA Moderato » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:39:37

Quote:> "We believe that within the next 18-24 months, installing a Linux-based
> software package will become as normal as installing a Windows or Sun
> Solaris system," Damon Kovelsky, an analyst with IDC Financial Services,
> said in a report last month."

> "Linux awareness and acceptance by corporate IT buyers has shot through
>  the roof, and Linux is being championed by the likes of IBM, Hewlett
>  Packard and Dublin's Sybase Inc."

> "The market view of Linux is very positive, Techtel's Kelly says. Ninety
> percent of those surveyed have a positive view of Linux and Unix, compared
> to 89 percent positive for Windows 2000, 81 percent for Windows NT and 71
> percent for Windows XP."

> "That dissatisfaction with Windows XP is a golden opportunity for Linux
> distributors who have established themselves in the server market and are
> increasingly eager to battle Microsoft Corp. on the desktop, Kelly says.
> And for Microsoft XP, dissatisfaction is a time bomb."

> "Each time they sell one of these things they have a 30 percent chance of
> somebody being unhappy they bought it," Kelly said. That's a lot of
> customers going about bad mouthing a system that "they are trapped into
> buying," he said.

What a bunch of bull crap, XP is the best OS todate and people love it, it
runs thousands of top quality program. If Linux were so great, it would be
#1, idiot.

Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream

Post by Jazz » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:09:36

Captain's log. On StarDate Monday 20 January 2003 18:33 received comm
from "CrazyTrain":

Quote:> I?don't?think?you?can?say?that?end?users?don't?like?XP?and?will?like
> linux.????You?thought?Windows?was?hard,?here's?Linux.??Have?fun.??Oh,
> what's a matter you don't know how to run fdisk, you're not sure what
> chipset is in your video card???Yeah,?I?can?see?linux?taking?the
> desktop,?in?10?years?when they are as easy to use as XP is now, but
> wait MS won't stand still.??Shit.

Dude, where have you been? A typical LGX desktop install is like four
mouseclicks, filling in three text boxes and press <enter> for the
reboot.

Man, you're /ancient/ !

--
Jazz.

From the 'Duh!' archives:
'If you can't beat them, it means you're not good enough.'
(Team Thor in Robot Wars VI)