suse rpm's vs. RH rpm's

Post by Evan DiBias » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Are there big differences between rpm's made for the suse distribution and the
> ones made for red hat? Can I use rpm's from RH 5.2 with suse 6.0?

Well, SuSE RPMs, IIRC, are built for a specific SuSE distribution and go
in a specific place (according to where SuSE puts things). Red Hat RPMs
may install, but more likely would fail on dependencies or install in
the "wrong" place.

-Evan

suse rpm's vs. RH rpm's

Post by Reality is a point of vi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 | Well, SuSE RPMs, IIRC, are built for a specific SuSE distribution and go
 | in a specific place (according to where SuSE puts things). Red Hat RPMs
 | may install, but more likely would fail on dependencies or install in
 | the "wrong" place.
 +----

With much sarcasm I ask: doesn't the FSSTND cover this sort of
thing?!

It seems as though tar.gz (or whatever compression may be
optimal) remains as the best choice for developers, with
distributions fighting for differentiation based on time to
..rpm (or .deb, or whatever) and admins that can, er, go to the
source (or use rpm2cpio) acquire MIS gold stars.

--

Privacy on the net is still illegal.

suse rpm's vs. RH rpm's

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Are there big differences between rpm's made for the suse distribution and the
>> ones made for red hat? Can I use rpm's from RH 5.2 with suse 6.0?
>Well, SuSE RPMs, IIRC, are built for a specific SuSE distribution and go
>in a specific place (according to where SuSE puts things). Red Hat RPMs
>may install, but more likely would fail on dependencies or install in
>the "wrong" place.

Redhat RPMS are built for a specific Redhat distribution :-)

Uncomplicated RPMS (just a binary in /usr/bin and one in /usr/man) can be
installed easily. All other RPMS are more or less dependent on the system they
were built for. I hope the LSB will help here a little bit.

Try source RPMS: No dependency problems.

--

Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)
http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/jura/moritz/pubkeymoritz  # but also

1. rpm: not found 'packages.rpm'

I run Slackware, and I need to be able to run rpm to install rpm
packages (duh). un-tarzipped the distribution package i got from the
sunsite site, and now when i do

rpm -i apcahe-blah-blah

it says:

# rpm -i ghostview-1.5-6.i386.rpm
failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm//packages.rpm

--

what is wrong?

the howto's dont have much help for idiots.

PLEEZE?>

thank you.

2. Strange PPP/Routing/ProxyArp Problem

3. RPM doesn't create any RPM's

4. Radeon8500 questions (XVideo and OpenGL)

5. How to install a 'non-rpm' pkg on RH setup?

6. an interesting Networking problem to think about

7. New GNOME RH 6.0 RPM's on RH 5.2?

8. 2.5.68 and trouble with mouse setup on Notebook

9. rpm upgraded - kpackage won't read packages.rpm

10. RPM won't upgrade RPM!

11. Installed enlightenment with rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm, but it won't run.

12. RPM: can't open packages.rpm

13. redhat rpm error: can't install or update rpms