When good enough is good enough

When good enough is good enough

Post by Peter K?hlman » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:48:30



Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and Lufthansa
It for sure seems there are some more people out there who don't listen to
you

http://lwn.net/Articles/13310/

Peter
--
I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.
Just people running Windows.

 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by mlw » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 02:40:18



> Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and Lufthansa
> It for sure seems there are some more people out there who don't listen to
> you

> http://lwn.net/Articles/13310/

> Peter

Check your URL, it seems I am not alone.

 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by alt » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:27:14




>> Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and
>> Lufthansa It for sure seems there are some more people out there
>> who don't listen to you

>> http://lwn.net/Articles/13310/

>> Peter

> Check your URL, it seems I am not alone.

Come on now, mlw. We know that was you ;) (J/K)

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!
All rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAA!"
"Micheal, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was
everything that I thought it could be." - Peter, Office Space

 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by mlw » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:33:50





>>>Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and
>>>Lufthansa It for sure seems there are some more people out there
>>>who don't listen to you

>>>http://lwn.net/Articles/13310/

>>>Peter

>>Check your URL, it seems I am not alone.

> Come on now, mlw. We know that was you ;) (J/K)

Nope wasn't me.
 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by mlw » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:50:06


 > Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and Lufthansa
 > It for sure seems there are some more people out there who don't listen to
 > you

Upon further reflection, its kind of comical. I mean seriously, and this
exactly the point I've been making about MySQL and their bogus Microsoft-esque
marketing engine.

The guy quoted from Luftansa, Antonio Mastrorita, is only reported to work for
the IT solutions group. It is not even reported what his position is. If he had
any real influence, they would have used his title like, "lead engineer,"
"Manager," or "Director," or something, but no, no reason is stated why his
opinion means anything to us, or is, in fact, representitive of Luftansa. He
could be the night security guard for all we know.

There are also no details as to what criterion was used by Luftansa in choosing
MySQL, if, in fact, they have. "These applications" does not nessisarily mean
MySQL, it could be making reference to PHP and or Apache.

Furthermore, no one has argued that MySQL isn't popular, I have only said (at
length with technical details) that without extream extenuating circumstances,
using it is a mistake.

I find it interesting that someone would be using Novell, AT ALL, in a new
development of any kind. I know Novell has a lot of legacy business, but
haven't they just about lost their core business?

It reads like every press release I have ever seen. It implies one thing, but
when read, the facts don't nessisarily support the implied purpose.

The only thing we can know for sure is that Novell in a desperate attempt to do
anything  to revive their business, signed a deal with the MySQL guys to
license the database without GPL restrictions.

 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by Peter K?hlman » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:22:03




>  > Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and
>  > Lufthansa It for sure seems there are some more people out there who
>  > don't listen to you

> Upon further reflection, its kind of comical. I mean seriously, and this
> exactly the point I've been making about MySQL and their bogus
> Microsoft-esque marketing engine.

How so?

Quote:> The guy quoted from Luftansa, Antonio Mastrorita, is only reported to
> work for the IT solutions group. It is not even reported what his
> position is. If he had any real influence, they would have used his
> title like, "lead engineer," "Manager," or "Director," or something, but
> no, no reason is stated why his opinion means anything to us, or is, in
> fact, representitive of Luftansa. He could be the night security guard
> for all we know.

If this is all you can say to this, it is really lame

Quote:> There are also no details as to what criterion was used by Luftansa in
> choosing MySQL, if, in fact, they have. "These applications" does not
> nessisarily mean MySQL, it could be making reference to PHP and or
> Apache.

> Furthermore, no one has argued that MySQL isn't popular, I have only
> said (at length with technical details) that without extream extenuating
> circumstances, using it is a mistake.

Repeatint a fallacy does not make it true

Quote:> I find it interesting that someone would be using Novell, AT ALL, in a
> new development of any kind. I know Novell has a lot of legacy business,
> but haven't they just about lost their core business?

Kind of worrying that a company like Novell, which is not exactly known to
consist of purely idiots, seem to think that MySQL isn't that bad.

Quote:> It reads like every press release I have ever seen. It implies one
> thing, but when read, the facts don't nessisarily support the implied
> purpose.

Again, how so?

Quote:> The only thing we can know for sure is that Novell in a desperate
> attempt to do
> anything  to revive their business, signed a deal with the MySQL guys to
> license the database without GPL restrictions.

Yeah. An article which does not reflect your view on the world.
It can only be written by dumbasses, or the guys mentioned have no idea
what they are talking about, or Novell is just a 5th-rate wannabe.
That actually it is you who has no idea does not cross your mind

Peter
--
FLASH!  Intelligence of mankind decreasing.  Details at ... uh, when
the little hand is on the ....

 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by mlw » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:31:27





>> > Well, mlw, now please comment on the stupidity of Novell and
>> > Lufthansa It for sure seems there are some more people out there who
>> > don't listen to you

>>Upon further reflection, its kind of comical. I mean seriously, and this
>>exactly the point I've been making about MySQL and their bogus
>>Microsoft-esque marketing engine.

> How so?

Bogus benchmarks for one.

Quote:

>>The guy quoted from Luftansa, Antonio Mastrorita, is only reported to
>>work for the IT solutions group. It is not even reported what his
>>position is. If he had any real influence, they would have used his
>>title like, "lead engineer," "Manager," or "Director," or something, but
>>no, no reason is stated why his opinion means anything to us, or is, in
>>fact, representitive of Luftansa. He could be the night security guard
>>for all we know.

> If this is all you can say to this, it is really lame

OK, the security guard line was hyperbole, but none the less, no title or
credentials given. If that's OK with you....

Quote:

>>There are also no details as to what criterion was used by Luftansa in
>>choosing MySQL, if, in fact, they have. "These applications" does not
>>nessisarily mean MySQL, it could be making reference to PHP and or
>>Apache.

>>Furthermore, no one has argued that MySQL isn't popular, I have only
>>said (at length with technical details) that without extream extenuating
>>circumstances, using it is a mistake.

> Repeatint a fallacy does not make it true

I have a supporting argument, something you have, this far, been unwilling, or
unable, to debate.

Quote:

>>I find it interesting that someone would be using Novell, AT ALL, in a
>>new development of any kind. I know Novell has a lot of legacy business,
>>but haven't they just about lost their core business?

> Kind of worrying that a company like Novell, which is not exactly known to
> consist of purely idiots, seem to think that MySQL isn't that bad.

Not known to consist of idiots? Novell? Are you kidding? They go from #1
networking company to a marginal player.

They buy UNIX, sell it at a loss.
The fiasco with Lotus.
The fiasco with DrDOS
The fiasco with word perfect
Ray Norda

The list goes on. Novell is a joke in the IT industry. They were a one trick
pony that was never able to capitalize on any other opportunity.

Quote:

>>It reads like every press release I have ever seen. It implies one
>>thing, but when read, the facts don't nessisarily support the implied
>>purpose.

> Again, how so?

Half truths. Read it.

Quote:

>>The only thing we can know for sure is that Novell in a desperate
>>attempt to do
>>anything  to revive their business, signed a deal with the MySQL guys to
>>license the database without GPL restrictions.

> Yeah. An article which does not reflect your view on the world.
> It can only be written by dumbasses, or the guys mentioned have no idea
> what they are talking about, or Novell is just a 5th-rate wannabe.
> That actually it is you who has no idea does not cross your mind

Again, personal insults. Does that make you feel good? Are you a man now? How
old are you 14?
 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by Peter K?hlman » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:40:51


< snip drivel >

Idiot

Peter
--
You're genuinely bogus.

 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by mlw » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 04:10:51




> < snip drivel >

> Idiot

And yet another personal insult. Have you no intelectual ability at all? Is
that the best you can do?
 
 
 

When good enough is good enough

Post by Peter K?hlman » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 04:19:34





>> < snip drivel >

>> Idiot

> And yet another personal insult. Have you no intelectual ability at all?
> Is that the best you can do?

No. But for you it is more than enough

Peter
--
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

 
 
 

1. Good Enough to Sleep With but not Good Enough to Marry?

I've touched on this subject a couple of times before, but I just wanted
to drive the point home.

There are many commercial companies out there that are benefitting off of
the use of Open Source Software with their products, especially Linux in
embedded devices.

Linux powers cell phones, PDA's, robots, routers, communications devices,
Pocket PC's, and a whole slew of other specialized devices.

The thing is, where these companies that use embedded Linux are
benefitting and profiting off of using Linux in their products, they
provide little or no support for users of Linux and their products.

I have personally experienced this with three seperate products I own that
are linux powered.

What is this about?  Are these companies hypocrites?  It's ok to reap the
all the benefits of using Linux to drive our products but they are not
willing to make a committment to the community by providing support for
Linux users with their products?

I know that there is of course the financial aspect of it, but it still
seems to be negligent and hypocritical on the part of these companies.

That's my take on it anyway.

--
rapskat  -  1:25am  up 4 days, 11:09,  4 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.01
drop the hot to mail me

Shit Happens. -- Forrest Gump (?)

2. a linux tn3270 emulator

3. Deep thoughts...Good Enough Is Enough

4. 2.5.22 : fs/intermezzo/presto.c compile error

5. Is java good enough?

6. Need help on setting virtual domain on internet !

7. Considering Linux: Is my hardware good enough?

8. What CD Available ?

9. GUS ACE: Good enough?

10. What is good enough for the Enterprise?

11. Is my laptop good enough for X?

12. *SIGH* When will linux EVER get good enough?!

13. New to linux ... Good enough eq to run?