Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Post by B'iche » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:03:51



        Thanks to me and my Slackware 3.6 Book and disk written by
Patrick Volkberg, The Covanent (forgive my spelling.) is now making
plans to use Slackware linux in place of Windows 95, At least in some
operations.. I talked to the Director Paul Doyle who wants to use
Slackware for a database. He is greatly thrilled that Slackware comes
with a FREE full development set of tools including TCL/IK, Perl, C++
and C. He also is happy that there is no legal limitations to how to
copy the software or who he can give it to or how many releases he can
install on the  3 computers at the soup kitchen.
        He is planning to ask some of the local commmunity college
students with computer majors and skills in C and UNIX to help write
this database. I suggested he use perl and the TCL/IK for development
of the X windows front-end.
        Paul told me that the Linux system is going to be hard to get
used to as there is some more work in setting it up. I told him that
once Linux is setup and running; Since  they have the capacity to run
Xwindows on all machines that it can be made to look like Microsoft
Windows as far as the average staff person is concerned. I also pointed
out that unlike Windows, Linux if properly configured has more
mature security in mind.  Meaning less concerns of Viruses.
        Oh yes, I am part of the Linux config group at the soup
kitchen. Paul asked me to work with the students to get the Local area
Network   working. Right now they use "sneaker-net" for file transfer.
Still debating between 10baseT amd 10base2, All depends if someone
would donate a hub or switch and the needed cables.

--

                        B'ichela

 
 
 

Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Post by Byron A Je » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:17:46


Great story. I'd like to thown in some suggestions....


-       Thanks to me and my Slackware 3.6 Book and disk written by
-Patrick Volkberg,

Volkerding...

- The Covanent (forgive my spelling.) is now making
-plans to use Slackware linux in place of Windows 95, At least in some
-operations.. I talked to the Director Paul Doyle who wants to use
-Slackware for a database. He is greatly thrilled that Slackware comes
-with a FREE full development set of tools including TCL/IK, Perl, C++
-and C. He also is happy that there is no legal limitations to how to
-copy the software or who he can give it to or how many releases he can
-install on the  3 computers at the soup kitchen.

Glad that someone sees the light. Are the machines networked?

-       He is planning to ask some of the local commmunity college
-students with computer majors and skills in C and UNIX to help write
-this database. I suggested he use perl and the TCL/IK for development
-of the X windows front-end.

Let me throw out an alternative: PHP with a web interface. PHP has great
database integration. A web front end enables much wider possible connectivity.

-       Paul told me that the Linux system is going to be hard to get
-used to as there is some more work in setting it up. I told him that
-once Linux is setup and running; Since  they have the capacity to run
-Xwindows on all machines that it can be made to look like Microsoft
-Windows as far as the average staff person is concerned. I also pointed
-out that unlike Windows, Linux if properly configured has more
-mature security in mind.  Meaning less concerns of Viruses.

Exactly. Tell him about CodeRed and how Linux boxes pretty much ignore it.

-       Oh yes, I am part of the Linux config group at the soup
-kitchen. Paul asked me to work with the students to get the Local area
-Network   working. Right now they use "sneaker-net" for file transfer.
-Still debating between 10baseT amd 10base2, All depends if someone
-would donate a hub or switch and the needed cables.

If you have 10base2 ports on the cards it's pretty effective for small networks
of 3-4 machines. Beyond that a small hub would be better.

Good luck...

BAJ

 
 
 

Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Post by Terry Port » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 02:48:29


On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:03:51 GMT, B'ichela dashed off:

Quote:>    Thanks to me and my Slackware 3.6 Book and disk written by
> Patrick Volkberg, The Covanent (forgive my spelling.) is now making
> plans to use Slackware linux in place of Windows 95, At least in some
> operations.. I talked to the Director Paul Doyle who wants to use
> Slackware for a database. He is greatly thrilled that Slackware comes
> with a FREE full development set of tools including TCL/IK, Perl, C++
> and C. He also is happy that there is no legal limitations to how to
> copy the software or who he can give it to or how many releases he can
> install on the  3 computers at the soup kitchen.

Exactly, this is why I only use GPL myself.

Quote:>    He is planning to ask some of the local commmunity college
> students with computer majors and skills in C and UNIX to help write
> this database. I suggested he use perl and the TCL/IK for development
> of the X windows front-end.

Good choice, I have been playing with TCL tutor lately, learning
the language myself. Currently quite a few of the apps on my PC use
this language, Tkcvs, TkDesk, Tk*editor etc.

Quote:>    Paul told me that the Linux system is going to be hard to get
> used to as there is some more work in setting it up. I told him that
> once Linux is setup and running;

                                  ^ you can just forget about it ? :)

Quote:> Since  they have the capacity to run
> Xwindows on all machines that it can be made to look like Microsoft
> Windows as far as the average staff person is concerned. I also pointed
> out that unlike Windows, Linux if properly configured has more
> mature security in mind.  Meaning less concerns of Viruses.

Absolutely, since my Wife now runs Linux instead of Win98 on her PC, she
has not had to deal with a single virus. She has received *plenty* of
them however, all Windows virii, from her Windows using friends.

Nor has she had to "de-fragment", or run "scandisk" or even
reboot, when her PC slowed to a crawl, activities she did *every*
week with Windows.

Quote:>    Oh yes, I am part of the Linux config group at the soup
> kitchen. Paul asked me to work with the students to get the Local area
> Network   working. Right now they use "sneaker-net" for file transfer.
> Still debating between 10baseT amd 10base2, All depends if someone
> would donate a hub or switch and the needed cables.

Excellent article B'ichela, good luck with the network cabling.
I've found 10base2 to be cheap but problematic, and always prefer
10baseT myself, as there are so many advantages.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.  
Free Micro Burner http://www.veryComputer.com/~tp/burn.html          
** Registration Number: 103931,  http://www.veryComputer.com/ **

 
 
 

Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:46:26



> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:03:51 GMT, B'ichela dashed off:
> >       Thanks to me and my Slackware 3.6 Book and disk written by
> > Patrick Volkberg, The Covanent (forgive my spelling.) is now making
> > plans to use Slackware linux in place of Windows 95, At least in some
> > operations.. I talked to the Director Paul Doyle who wants to use
> > Slackware for a database. He is greatly thrilled that Slackware comes
> > with a FREE full development set of tools including TCL/IK, Perl, C++
> > and C. He also is happy that there is no legal limitations to how to
> > copy the software or who he can give it to or how many releases he can
> > install on the  3 computers at the soup kitchen.

> Exactly, this is why I only use GPL myself.

> >       He is planning to ask some of the local commmunity college
> > students with computer majors and skills in C and UNIX to help write
> > this database. I suggested he use perl and the TCL/IK for development
> > of the X windows front-end.

> Good choice, I have been playing with TCL tutor lately, learning
> the language myself. Currently quite a few of the apps on my PC use
> this language, Tkcvs, TkDesk, Tk*editor etc.

> >       Paul told me that the Linux system is going to be hard to get
> > used to as there is some more work in setting it up. I told him that
> > once Linux is setup and running;
>                                   ^ you can just forget about it ? :)

> > Since  they have the capacity to run
> > Xwindows on all machines that it can be made to look like Microsoft
> > Windows as far as the average staff person is concerned. I also pointed
> > out that unlike Windows, Linux if properly configured has more
> > mature security in mind.  Meaning less concerns of Viruses.

> Absolutely, since my Wife now runs Linux instead of Win98 on her PC, she
> has not had to deal with a single virus. She has received *plenty* of
> them however, all Windows virii, from her Windows using friends.

> Nor has she had to "de-fragment", or run "scandisk" or even
> reboot, when her PC slowed to a crawl, activities she did *every*
> week with Windows.

> >       Oh yes, I am part of the Linux config group at the soup
> > kitchen. Paul asked me to work with the students to get the Local area
> > Network   working. Right now they use "sneaker-net" for file transfer.
> > Still debating between 10baseT amd 10base2, All depends if someone
> > would donate a hub or switch and the needed cables.

> Excellent article B'ichela, good luck with the network cabling.
> I've found 10base2 to be cheap but problematic, and always prefer
> 10baseT myself, as there are so many advantages.

Hi.  Just would like to thank the full Australian support for the U.S.
that I just heard on the news.  :-)
 
 
 

Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Post by Terry Port » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:18:34


On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 03:46:26 GMT, GreyCloud dashed off:

Quote:> Hi.  Just would like to thank the full Australian support for the U.S.
> that I just heard on the news.  :-)

You're welcome, the USA and Australia have always supported each other,
and I think they always will.

When the Japanese bombed Darwin, US pilots gave their lives to defend
Australian soil, and I have never forgotten that. The crisis that faces
us all now is so severe that the world may never be the same place again.

God help us all.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.  
Free Micro Burner http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html          
** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

 
 
 

Covenent Soup Kitchen is evaluating Slackware. Thanks to me.

Post by B'iche » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:42:34



Quote:>-   He is planning to ask some of the local commmunity college
>-students with computer majors and skills in C and UNIX to help write
>-this database. I suggested he use perl and the TCL/IK for development
>-of the X windows front-end.

>Let me throw out an alternative: PHP with a web interface. PHP has great
>database integration. A web front end enables much wider possible connectivity.

        I don't know much about the databasing. Thats not the part of
the project that I am  part of. or more precisely; Will be part of. My
area is hardware and networking.
Quote:>-Xwindows on all machines that it can be made to look like Microsoft
>-Windows as far as the average staff person is concerned. I also pointed
>-out that unlike Windows, Linux if properly configured has more
>-mature security in mind.  Meaning less concerns of Viruses.

>Exactly. Tell him about CodeRed and how Linux boxes pretty much ignore it.

        Ah yes the Code Red I, II and III did not affect my slackware
system here.
Quote:>If you have 10base2 ports on the cards it's pretty effective for small networks
>of 3-4 machines. Beyond that a small hub would be better.

        Being I use 10base2 here I tend to agree with you. Especially
since they are a not for profit United Way funded program. I also have
a few 10base2 cards kicking around plus I can assemble a 10base2 coax
much faster than a 10baseT plug! (yes, I got the proper BNC crimping
equipment *YAY!* If their computers are PCI I have seen 10base2/T
cards for PCI cheap.

--

                        B'ichela

 
 
 

1. I am fine, thanks.

I've received several email messages expressing concern for my welfare.
Thank you all for your thoughts; I am perfectly fine.  I realized that
my silence, quite conspicuous due to my typical volume, might concern
some, but I did post last Tuesday afternoon, so I presumed that anyone
noticing my absence would believe (correctly) that I am busy and
distracted by other things than the Microsoft issue.  I apologize for
any concern I might have caused by my unexplained disappearance, and I
greatly appreciate the concern and good wishes.  I should have realized
that, considering how much of a loud-mouth I've been, it was wrong of me
to just disappear like that.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

--
T. Max Devlin
  *** The best way to convince another is
          to state your case moderately and
             accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

2. Answer Garden

3. what does the following script do,,, I am a newbee please elaborate thanks

4. About Perl

5. THANKS: Slackware 3.0 and AHA1542

6. Resizing a Linux ext2 partition??

7. Limit Administrative Privileges – Don’t Want Too Many Cooks in Kitchen

8. aha1540b and cdrom

9. Web Serving from the kitchen

10. Knoppix without the kitchen sink : Morphix

11. RH7.1 Installs Kitchen Sink when doing Upgrade

12. need kitchen design program

13. Limit Administrative Privileges – Don’t Want Too Many Cooks in Kitchen