Malaysia knows how to cut the licensing costs...

<http://www.star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/8/29/techno...>

<http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/4/2/itfeature/o...>

|Star Business reported on Feb 20 that DRB-Hicom group subsidiary
|DRB-Hicom Information Technologies Sdn Bhd (DH Tech Info) plans to
|develop a Linux-based software suite in Bahasa Malaysia; the suite
|would comprise an operating system, applications and Internet access
|software.
|
|The complete solution, comprising hardware, software, technical support
|and warranty, is expected to cost less than RM2,000 and will be
|targeted at the mass market.

kind of blows this whining out of the water doesn't it now...

<http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/5/3/technology/...>

|PETALING JAYA: Microsoft (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd said it was concerned that
|the Open Source Software (OSS) movement lacks economic benefits to the
|nation and to individual developers.
|
|Responding to increasing press coverage on OSS and interest amongst the
|private and public sector, the company said that while it believed OSS
|has a definite role to play in the "software ecosystem," it questioned
|its long-term viability and sustainability.

|"We are concerned that the OSS movement lacks the economic motivation to
|sustain development and innovation in the long term, since after all,
|someone has to feed the developers," said Alex Fong, director of
|Microsoft Malaysia's Central Marketing Organisation.

|"For instance, since Linus Torvalds launched the Linux kernel in 1991,
|there've been few successful OSS companies - the terms of the GNU
|General Public Licence (GPL) makes it impossible for developers to
|protect their intellectual property," he claimed.

still trying to spread the anti-GPL, anti-Linux FUD then... no changes
there...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Post by Matthew Gardine » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:14:40

> <http://www.star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/8/29/techno...>

> |KUALA LUMPUR: Paying close to RM800 for an original copy of a
> |proprietary operating system for one or two PCs might not be too much
> |of a burden to most companies and organisations.
> |
> |However, when you need a large number of PCs for schools and community
> |centres, even paying half that amount per PC becomes a huge burden.

> <http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/4/2/itfeature/o...>

> |Star Business reported on Feb 20 that DRB-Hicom group subsidiary
> |DRB-Hicom Information Technologies Sdn Bhd (DH Tech Info) plans to
> |develop a Linux-based software suite in Bahasa Malaysia; the suite
> |would comprise an operating system, applications and Internet access
> |software.
> |
> |The complete solution, comprising hardware, software, technical support
> |and warranty, is expected to cost less than RM2,000 and will be
> |targeted at the mass market.

> kind of blows this whining out of the water doesn't it now...

> <http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/5/3/technology/...>

> |PETALING JAYA: Microsoft (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd said it was concerned that
> |the Open Source Software (OSS) movement lacks economic benefits to the
> |nation and to individual developers.
> |
> |Responding to increasing press coverage on OSS and interest amongst the
> |private and public sector, the company said that while it believed OSS
> |has a definite role to play in the "software ecosystem," it questioned
> |its long-term viability and sustainability.
> |
> |"We are concerned that the OSS movement lacks the economic motivation to
> |sustain development and innovation in the long term, since after all,
> |someone has to feed the developers," said Alex Fong, director of
> |Microsoft Malaysia's Central Marketing Organisation.
> |
> |"For instance, since Linus Torvalds launched the Linux kernel in 1991,
> |there've been few successful OSS companies - the terms of the GNU
> |General Public Licence (GPL) makes it impossible for developers to
> |protect their intellectual property," he claimed.

> still trying to spread the anti-GPL, anti-Linux FUD then... no changes
> there...

Wait until Dr Martea (or what ever the guys name) when he can see it can
link GPL + Malaysian Nationalism.  Things will get rather uncomfortable
for poor old Microsoft.

Matthew Gardiner

Post by D. C. Session » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 06:49:28

> kind of blows this whining out of the water doesn't it now...

> <http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/5/3/technology/...>

Actually, I liked the Venezuelan analysis that showed that
95% of their software budget left the country.  Now they're
insisting on GPL.

--
| If things don't work and you don't know why, you're in trouble. |
|   If things *do* work and you don't know why, you're doomed.    |

Post by Matthew Gardine » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:02:22

>>kind of blows this whining out of the water doesn't it now...

>><http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/5/3/technology/...>

> Actually, I liked the Venezuelan analysis that showed that
> 95% of their software budget left the country.  Now they're
> insisting on GPL.

Funny how people like to keep taxpayers money with in their own country
  instead of feeding large multinationals like Microsoft.

Matthew Gardiner