"Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer..."

"Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer..."

Post by sfcybea » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:29:31

"Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer, Reed said,
because the platform provides users with a familiar computing
environment that covers single-user desktop workstations and small
research clusters to the largest systems."

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0115/web-linux-01-17-01.asp

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:14:14

> "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer, Reed said,
> because the platform provides users with a familiar computing
> environment that covers single-user desktop workstations and small
> research clusters to the largest systems."

You can bet that Linux's inroads on the desktop are deepest in the
fields of science and engineering, and getting deeper there every day.
Businesses will lag along more slowly.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Post by Charlie Ebe » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:09:31

>> "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer, Reed said,
>> because the platform provides users with a familiar computing
>> environment that covers single-user desktop workstations and small
>> research clusters to the largest systems."

>You can bet that Linux's inroads on the desktop are deepest in the
>fields of science and engineering, and getting deeper there every day.
>Businesses will lag along more slowly.

This could be BETTER said as business are pathetic followers.
Where ever the cattle troff leads them they will go.

They are not leaders of anything.

Quote:>Bobby Bryant
>Austin, Texas

Charlie

Post by Tom Wilso » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:55:10

> >> "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer, Reed said,
> >> because the platform provides users with a familiar computing
> >> environment that covers single-user desktop workstations and small
> >> research clusters to the largest systems."

> >You can bet that Linux's inroads on the desktop are deepest in the
> >fields of science and engineering, and getting deeper there every day.
> >Businesses will lag along more slowly.

> This could be BETTER said as business are pathetic followers.
> Where ever the cattle troff leads them they will go.

> They are not leaders of anything.

They are of MS's bottom line, perhaps <g>

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:02:40

> >> "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer, Reed said,
> >> because the platform provides users with a familiar computing
> >> environment that covers single-user desktop workstations and small
> >> research clusters to the largest systems."

> >You can bet that Linux's inroads on the desktop are deepest in the
> >fields of science and engineering, and getting deeper there every day.
> >Businesses will lag along more slowly.

> This could be BETTER said as business are pathetic followers.
> Where ever the cattle troff leads them they will go.

> They are not leaders of anything.

Management types (including politicians) are very adept at
jumping in front of long-running parades.

Quote:

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

1. sendmail "no-brainer"?

Hi kidz - hopefully someone can provide a quick answer to a
"simple" question? :)

Running Solaris 2.5 on a SS2, I bring up a ppp connection
each evening.  Depending on what I do (haven't nailed it
down yet), I have the following problem.  I logout from all
remote machines and the ppp shuts down (after 20 minutes).
All is fine until the next morning when something (sendmail?)
causes the ppp to start up and try to connect on four-hour
intervals.  The number is a voice number during the day so
the connection doesn't occur.  This only happens three
times each day.

Apr 1 08:49:46 zero sendmail[1285]: gethostbyaddr() failed for 192.138.254.90
Apr 1 12:49:43 zero sendmail[1325]: gethostbyaddr() failed for 192.138.254.90
Apr 1 16:49:37 zero sendmail[1409]: gethostbyaddr() failed for 192.138.254.90

I access email on the remote machines that I connect to but
don't send or receive it on the local box (zero).

If this is too mundane for this group, then email is fine,
otherwise, please post here.

Thank you!
Norm

2. Configuring a user to allow them to create shared memory segments

4. BIOS Problem

6. ABIT KT7 RAID And Linux - Not working!

7. I am looking for windiows based "ethereal" tool in linux?

8. gz Z tar (TROLL?)

9. Linux NetworX to build "largest" Linux supercomputer

10. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

11. Caldera "Base" vs "Standard", WABI

12. Linux advocacy from Scientific American: "The Do-It-Yourself Supercomputer"

13. Could funky pppd MTU cause "unclean" and "NEW" packets?