2002

Post by Roy Cull » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 04:57:35

begin  Highlights_of_2002

In no particular order (other than Gentoo):

 1. Gentoo

    There is just nothing like it that I have used.

 2. Sun finally realising they can't ignore Linux.

 3. MS trustworthy computing

    A leaked email informed the world of BG's new initiative. A whole
    month devoted to finding security bugs. The result a security
    advisory lumping a dozen or so security patches. Wow, it really
    worked. Or did it? On close examination only a couple of the
    bugs were found by MS. Trustworthy my arse.

 4. MS admitting their SW was insecure and it would take years to make
    their SW secure. Duh, tell us something new. At least they now
    admit their SW is insecure.

 5. Linux starting to make serious inroads on the corporate / government
    workplace.

 6. Linux having 2 systems in the top 500 super computers.

 7. SO and OO getting the recognition they deserve.

 8. ogle

    Playing DVD's from any region on my laptop.

 9. Funkenbusch

    Watching him being torn apart thread after thread.

10. COLA

    I've enjoyed so many of the posts made by Linux advocates. The
    standard of advocacy has never been higher even allowing for
    the deliberate attempt of the wintrolls to disrupt the group.
    Thankyou.

11. '^begin  '

    Need I say more. :-)

12. The XBOX running Linux

13. MS Licensing 6

    Shooting themselves in the foot. There again they had no choice.
    MS are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

end

begin  Lows_of_2002

 1. The total sellout in the anti-trust case.

    MS were proven guilty of illegally using their monopoly status
    on the desktop. Nothing done about the acts of perjury during
    the trial.

 2. Gentoo

    Gentoo 1.4 delayed until the new year. What am I going to do
    for the next 2 weeks? :-)

 3. Feeding the wintrolls

    I'm as guilty as any M'Lord.

end

I know I have missed loads of things. It has beem a great year for
anyone who enjoys Linux.

2003 will be even better.

2002

Post by Lin?nu » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 05:44:47

After rebooting Windows, Roy Culley mumbled:

Quote:>  1. Gentoo
>     There is just nothing like it that I have used.

One of these days, I gotta try it.  My main desktop is down right now,
because it's sounding very noisy, and I'm afraid to keep it up all day.
When I get the new motherboard (need $$$), perhaps that's a good time
to Gentoo?

Quote:>  2. Sun finally realising they can't ignore Linux.

God, I love UNIX.

Quote:

>  3. MS trustworthy computing

MS has a Hollywood mogul definition of trustworthy.

Quote:>     Trustworthy my arse.

You can trust MS to go for the arse.

Quote:>  4. MS admitting their SW was insecure and it would take years to make
>     their SW secure. Duh, tell us something new. At least they now
>     admit their SW is insecure.

It's a marketing gimmick.  Stating the obvious.

Quote:>  5. Linux starting to make serious inroads on the corporate / government
>     workplace.

A penny saved is a penny earned!

Quote:>  6. Linux having 2 systems in the top 500 super computers.

You know, some UNIXen beat Linux at certain stuff, but it is amazing
the range of machines that Linux can handle!

Quote:>  7. SO and OO getting the recognition they deserve.

OO can handle even complex Word docs surprisingly well.  How to
convince the pointy-haired boss, though?

Quote:>  8. ogle

>     Playing DVD's from any region on my laptop.

mplayer!

Quote:>  9. Funkenbusch

>     Watching him being torn apart thread after thread.

He doesn't care.  He may not even believe he's torn apart.
The highlight of my year is finally realizing it is not weakness
to plonk the likes of Sam Richards, Chad Myers, Larry Hasting (AKA
Greg Suvalian), Simon Cooke, and even the crypto-fascist cfswestern.

Quote:> 10. COLA

>     I've enjoyed so many of the posts made by Linux advocates. The
>     standard of advocacy has never been higher even allowing for
>     the deliberate attempt of the wintrolls to disrupt the group.
>     Thankyou.

I like the intelligence of many of the posters.

Quote:> 11. '^begin  '

>     Need I say more. :-)

You hacker you.

Quote:> 12. The XBOX running Linux

On TV, Bill Gates claimed he was making billions on XBOX.
He lies with a straight face.  It comes with a lot of practice.

Quote:> 13. MS Licensing 6

>     Shooting themselves in the foot. There again they had no choice.
>     MS are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Hubris.

Quote:>  1. The total sellout in the anti-trust case.

>     MS were proven guilty of illegally using their monopoly status
>     on the desktop. Nothing done about the acts of perjury during
>     the trial.

Microsoft has apparently purchased quite a lot of support.

Quote:>  2. Gentoo

>     Gentoo 1.4 delayed until the new year. What am I going to do
>     for the next 2 weeks? :-)

>  3. Feeding the wintrolls

>     I'm as guilty as any M'Lord.

Well, fishing is entertainment sometimes.  Some wintrolls are quite
skillful at getting your gourd.

I'm a little proud of myself at finally resisting the urge to reply
badly to the flaming trolls (you know the ones, saying things on the
order of "Linux is a flaming pile of dog shit".)

Quote:> I know I have missed loads of things. It has beem a great year for
> anyone who enjoys Linux.

As were the last four years for me.

Quote:> 2003 will be even better.

For DRM? <sigh>

2002

Post by jim » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 06:01:57

> begin  Highlights_of_2002
>  6. Linux having 2 systems in the top 500 super computers.

I believe that should be 2 in the top 10, more
in the top 500. Linux run the 5th fastest
computer in the world. There have been a lot
of Linux entries in the top 500 before this
year.

Great post.

Jim

2002

Post by cybea » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:12:57

>  5. Linux starting to make serious inroads on the corporate / government
>     workplace.

Linux started to make serious inroads well before the begining of 2002.

Quote:>  6. Linux having 2 systems in the top 500 super computers.

Ummm, IIRC Linux had 2 systems in the top 500 super computers for some time,
the news this year is that linux had 2 in the top *10*.

2002

Post by Roy Cull » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:26:16

>> begin  Highlights_of_2002

>>  6. Linux having 2 systems in the top 500 super computers.

> I believe that should be 2 in the top 10, more
> in the top 500. Linux run the 5th fastest
> computer in the world. There have been a lot
> of Linux entries in the top 500 before this
> year.

You're right. I meant to say 2 in the top 10 of the latest list
of the worlds 500 fastest systems.

Quote:> Great post.

Thanks.

end

2002

Post by paul cook » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:56:48

in comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

Quote:> Already SUSE, Lindows and Redhat advanced server are not available for
> download, Get ready to pay for your free software fellas,

You're using the word "free" in the wrong sense again...

Quote:

> 3. Bill Gates gives more billions to charity (while Linux begs for
> money, sorry, already said that Linux begs for money.)

> 4. More Windows free software,

> Tonight I loaded Directx9, next month Movie maker 2, Media player 9,
> Media encoder 9 all free.

So that's four more incremental EULA's to click through then... when do
you get to sing your soul away in *??? Will the next EULA
incorporate clicking through to permit remote monitoring of everything
typed at your keyboard???

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

2002

Post by Aaron Meye » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:51:13

> Tonight I loaded Directx9, next month Movie maker 2, Media player 9,
> Media encoder 9 all free.

Free after $300 purchase of crap.

--
Aaron Meyer     |       "The search for truth is more
RLU# 283393     |       precious than its possession"

2002

Post by Nigel Feltha » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 00:34:06

>>begin  Highlights_of_2002

>>In no particular order (other than Gentoo):

>> 1. Gentoo

>>    There is just nothing like it that I have used.

>> 2. Sun finally realising they can't ignore Linux.

>> 3. MS trustworthy computing

>>    A leaked email informed the world of BG's new initiative. A whole
>>    month devoted to finding security bugs. The result a security
>>    advisory lumping a dozen or so security patches. Wow, it really
>>    worked. Or did it? On close examination only a couple of the
>>    bugs were found by MS. Trustworthy my arse.

>> 4. MS admitting their SW was insecure and it would take years to make
>>    their SW secure. Duh, tell us something new. At least they now
>>    admit their SW is insecure.

>> 5. Linux starting to make serious inroads on the corporate / government
>>    workplace.

>> 6. Linux having 2 systems in the top 500 super computers.

>> 7. SO and OO getting the recognition they deserve.

>> 8. ogle

>>    Playing DVD's from any region on my laptop.

>> 9. Funkenbusch

>>    Watching him being torn apart thread after thread.

>>10. COLA

>>    I've enjoyed so many of the posts made by Linux advocates. The
>>    standard of advocacy has never been higher even allowing for
>>    the deliberate attempt of the wintrolls to disrupt the group.
>>    Thankyou.

>>11. '^begin  '

>>    Need I say more. :-)

>>12. The XBOX running Linux

>>13. MS Licensing 6

>>    Shooting themselves in the foot. There again they had no choice.
>>    MS are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

>>end

>>begin  Lows_of_2002

>> 1. The total sellout in the anti-trust case.

>>    MS were proven guilty of illegally using their monopoly status
>>    on the desktop. Nothing done about the acts of perjury during
>>    the trial.

>> 2. Gentoo

>>    Gentoo 1.4 delayed until the new year. What am I going to do
>>    for the next 2 weeks? :-)

>> 3. Feeding the wintrolls

>>    I'm as guilty as any M'Lord.

>>end

>>I know I have missed loads of things. It has beem a great year for
>>anyone who enjoys Linux.

>>2003 will be even better.

> Sure it will

> 1. Mandrake goes all out with its new business plan of

> Begging for money !

> http://www1.mandrakelinux.com/en/future.php3

> I will have to give them this, it really has a chance of  working. I
> mean begging has been used for thousands of years with some success.
> If begging does not work they can always try prostitution.

MS use blackmail to sell their products - this is nearly as old as
prostitution.

Quote:> 3. Bill Gates gives more billions to charity (while Linux begs for
> money, sorry, already said that Linux begs for money.)

Bill gives billions to charities when will help sell his software - don't
forget that MS are spending a lot more on FUDding linux in india that Bill
gave to indian charities.

--
begin  sig
Not the moderator of Comp.Os.Linux.Advocacy

2002

Post by Nigel Feltha » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 00:41:47

> After rebooting Windows, Roy Culley mumbled:

>>  1. Gentoo
>>     There is just nothing like it that I have used.

> One of these days, I gotta try it.  My main desktop is down right now,
> because it's sounding very noisy, and I'm afraid to keep it up all day.
> When I get the new motherboard (need $$$), perhaps that's a good time
> to Gentoo?

Are you sure it's the motherboard - if the machine is making noise and it
isn't coming from the speakers then it's a good idea to check and/or
replace the Fans - any of the fans in a PC can make a considerable amount
of noise if the bearings are failing - they cannot be repaired, replacement
is only solution (although Solvent cleaner or WD40 squirted into the
bearings with PC switched off then left to dry before switching on can work
as a temporary solution).

--
begin  sig
Not the moderator of Comp.Os.Linux.Advocacy
It's unmoderated and anyone who claims otherwise is a clueless moron - this
includes you kerke the jerke.

2002

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:42:29

Datagram from Nigel Feltham incoming on netlink socket

>> One of these days, I gotta try it.  My main desktop is down right now,
>> because it's sounding very noisy, and I'm afraid to keep it up all day.
>> When I get the new motherboard (need $$$), perhaps that's a good time
>> to Gentoo?

> Are you sure it's the motherboard - if the machine is making noise and it
> isn't coming from the speakers then it's a good idea to check and/or
> replace the Fans - any of the fans in a PC can make a considerable amount
> of noise if the bearings are failing - they cannot be repaired, replacement
> is only solution (although Solvent cleaner or WD40 squirted into the
> bearings with PC switched off then left to dry before switching on can work
> as a temporary solution).

Also kind of "obivious", but anyway: If cabling connecting various parts of
computer to the box and to power feed has those little paper tags attached,
these tags (along with cables) can get sucked into power source fan.
Fortunately, Due to structure of fan, the cable can't get sucked so deep
that it would touch the fan blades, but unfortunately, these tags can get
sucked far enough for lot of noise to be caused.

And don't claim that hasn't happened. This was the reason why my previous
comp was sometimes extremely noisy before I found the problem and ripped off
the tags.

-Ilari
--
Nothing's truly free (in price) in this world... There are only
approximations of it. Free (in price) is unattainable idealization.