WINE???

Post by Mad Nom » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Dumb question from a newbie/lurker.  Put Linux on my system a couple
of years ago.  Installed OK, got X-windows working and everything.
THEN found out there wasn't a lot I could DO with it.  Took it off.
Attended the Atlanta Linux showcase recently and was surprised to see
Caldera's WABI up and running MS's 16-bin apps.  Now THIS I could use!
My question:  Is WABI a customized/commercialized version of WINE, and
does the freely-available version of WINE now run 16-bin Winapps?
Liked the philosophy and look of Linux/XFree, but have WORK to do, you
know?

Mad Nomad

WINE???

Post by Byron A Je » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Posted and Mailed.

>Dumb question from a newbie/lurker.  Put Linux on my system a couple
>of years ago.  Installed OK, got X-windows working and everything.
>THEN found out there wasn't a lot I could DO with it.  Took it off.
>Attended the Atlanta Linux showcase recently and was surprised to see
>Caldera's WABI up and running MS's 16-bin apps.  Now THIS I could use!
>My question:  Is WABI a customized/commercialized version of WINE, and
>does the freely-available version of WINE now run 16-bin Winapps?
>Liked the philosophy and look of Linux/XFree, but have WORK to do, you
>know?

Well let's take these two issues separately:

WINE/WABI: WABI is not a descendant of WINE. WINE is still a separate free
project while WABI is a commercial offering by SUN through Caldera. WABI
does run a lot of 16 bit Windows apps but has a few problems (like only
running on 8 bit displays and sticking to virtual window managers like
glue). WINE AFAIK is still poking along but the development team is seriously
looking into the WIN32 specification so that '95 and NT apps can be run.

"WORK to do": In the last couple of years Linux has acquired about a zillion
applications from office suites (Applixware,StarOffice), to databases
(Postgres96,ADABAS (sp?), mysql) to image manipulation applications (The
GIMP, ImageMagick). Many with file interfaces to common M$ file formats
such as Word, Excel, etc. So maybe you could help us out by explaining what
type of work you need to do because there may be a native Linux app out there
that can do it. I kind of fail to the see the purpose of just having Linux
around as an execution engine for Windows apps. It kind of misses the mark.
So tell us the kinds of things you need to do so we can point out the apps
you can use to do it.

Hope this helps,

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

WINE???

Post by Okeefe » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Installed OK, got X-windows working and everything.
>THEN found out there wasn't a lot I could DO with it.  Took it off.

Hmmm... I know you need X to run Wine, not sure about Wabi... if you're
using Linux you want X.

Quote:>Is WABI a customized/commercialized version of WINE, and
>does the freely-available version of WINE now run 16-bin Winapps?

No.  WABI is independently produced by Sun Microsystems and Caldera (they
licensed the Linux version).  It is not available in source code (I think,
or at least not for anything I can afford...).  It's great (as great as
Windows can be), although expensive.

Wine is free in the same sense as Linux is free, but it's not great (yet).
 It crashes often, although once you have the program open (just 16-bit
ones) it works pretty well.  Good luck with a Winsock, though.

4 Suggestions:

1. [the one you wanted to hear]  Go for Wabi.
2. [the "good" solution]  Partition your hard disk and install Win95.
3. [my solution]  You can get a lot done with Linux.  Applixware, Seyon,
just to name two.  Forget about Windoze.
4. [my other solution]  Get a Mac emulator... MacOS is second only to
Linux.

WINE???

Post by David M. Co » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Dumb question from a newbie/lurker.  Put Linux on my system a couple
>of years ago.  Installed OK, got X-windows working and everything.
>THEN found out there wasn't a lot I could DO with it.

That should be, "There wasn't a lot *I* could do with it."  Or perhaps,
"There wasn't a lot I *would* do with it."

I was quite productive with Linux 2 years ago (LaTeX, Emacs, Mathematica,
Netscape, xfig, etc.)

Quote:>Attended the Atlanta Linux showcase recently and was surprised to see
>Caldera's WABI up and running MS's 16-bin apps.

Better just to find an equivalent native Linux versions of the software
you need.

See http://www.kernel-panic.com/links.html#apps

Dave Cook

WINE???

Post by Tom sulliv » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Dumb question from a newbie/lurker.  Put Linux on my system a couple
: of years ago.  Installed OK, got X-windows working and everything.
: THEN found out there wasn't a lot I could DO with it.  Took it off.
: Attended the Atlanta Linux showcase recently and was surprised to see
: Caldera's WABI up and running MS's 16-bin apps.  Now THIS I could use!
: My question:  Is WABI a customized/commercialized version of WINE, and
: does the freely-available version of WINE now run 16-bin Winapps?
: Liked the philosophy and look of Linux/XFree, but have WORK to do, you
: know?

No, WINE is not WABI. Check out the WINE newsgroup,
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

Tom

WINE???

Post by Ramon Gandi » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Wine is free in the same sense as Linux is free, but it's not great (yet).
>  It crashes often, although once you have the program open (just 16-bit
> ones) it works pretty well.  Good luck with a Winsock, though.

I think you ought to look at WINE on the basis of its
latest releases, since May/June 1997.  It has not
only got real stable, it also runs 16-bit Windows
apps as fast as Windows 3.1 on the same computer
runs them.  It works real well with just about
anything you throw at it, Quicken, Quickbooks, etc.

What you say is true for the old days, but the WINE
project got off its duff when WABI came along.  It
is no longer the orphan child.  They are indeed
working on Win95 32-bit program compatibility and I
understand that project is also coming along well.

In the meantime, WINE seems to be doing better than
WABI.

--
Ramon Gandia =  X-Alaska, Inc.  http://www.xalaska.com
P.O. Box 970                    Tel. 907-443-7199

WINE???

Post by Nathan Han » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> > Wine is free in the same sense as Linux is free, but it's not great (yet).
> >  It crashes often, although once you have the program open (just 16-bit
> > ones) it works pretty well.  Good luck with a Winsock, though.

> I think you ought to look at WINE on the basis of its
> latest releases, since May/June 1997.  It has not
> only got real stable, it also runs 16-bit Windows
> apps as fast as Windows 3.1 on the same computer
> runs them.  It works real well with just about
> anything you throw at it, Quicken, Quickbooks, etc.

Word is actually usable, though some of the Wine libraries are a bit
dodgy so you should use ocka MS Windows 3.1 libraries. Excel loads a
spreadsheet, and the tutorial worked, but there are still some wierd
problems if you try and actually use Excel for anything serious.

Not there yet but getting better at an alarming speed. I can see why
Sun dropped WABI: they're scared Wine is gonna kick their *:-)

Printing support is in alpha, and truetype support should be working
within the year (if I'm any judge of project times, and I'm not).

It's just fine for MIRC, which is what I use Wine for. And of course
solitaire still works :-)

Damn fast too. Surprisingly so. Amazing work from the Wine team.

--
The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use
a given tool without training or understanding is even more wrong for

WINE???

Post by xmin » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Dumb question from a newbie/lurker.  Put Linux on my system a couple
> of years ago.  Installed OK, got X-windows working and everything.
> THEN found out there wasn't a lot I could DO with it.  Took it off.
> Attended the Atlanta Linux showcase recently and was surprised to see
> Caldera's WABI up and running MS's 16-bin apps.  Now THIS I could use!
> My question:  Is WABI a customized/commercialized version of WINE, and
> does the freely-available version of WINE now run 16-bin Winapps?
> Liked the philosophy and look of Linux/XFree, but have WORK to do, you
> know?

If you are really interested, you should try
comp.emulator.mw-windows.wine. Now WABI has nothing to do with
Wine. Wabi is commercial, ported to linux by Caldera, Wine is
a free project.

Wine runs some 16-bit apps, few 32-bit apps, mostly small
programs (games like winmine, sol, hearts, ...), a lot of programs
doesn't run a all. Some prog. (like word 6, excel 6, coreldraw 3,
....) run but crash very easy (believe me, more then under win31 or
win95) or just do not look right.

Hope this helps,

--
   _                     The OS of the new generation! No more crashes!
  / )  () _        __  _ It's free with full source code and it's POSIX

1. Wine,wine,wine - I need help with wine

Help
I down loaded and installed Wine to Linux 2.0.22 and Xwindows (XFree).
I think it's installed correctly.  I am getting a 'drive not found/path
not found' error.  I have my wine.conf in the right place (I think).
I'm using Win95 and hda3 and Linux on hda1.  I need a reality check.  Is
it hard to set up Wine?  Does someone have a working wine.conf file that
might guide me to a working wine.   Wine,wine,wine and beer. Ok I'll
stop wineing

Thanks
George

*                                                *
*   -----(((( Every Dog Has His Day ))))-----    *
*       ( to stay on the porch and bark )        *
*                                                *
*                George Dunham                   *
*            "Crappy Computers Ink"              *

*     http://www.sni.net/~gdunham/gdunh.htm      *
*    arf             |\__/\                      *
*        arf arf     / oo \_                     *
*             arf    | o  | \                    *
*                arf  \()/   \   )               *

2. Newbie Solaris 8 (IA) DNS question

3. KDevelop and Wine, MFC, C++, Wine stability

4. sunlink x25

5. WINE - wine.conf

6. Between A Rock & A Hard Place!!!

7. Wine=NT like DOSemu=DOS (was Re: wctype.h (was: Wine release 971221))

8. web-based ftp interface recommendations

9. Wine or not Wine ?

10. segv during Wine-980104 build

11. wine -debug; taz98 `Falscher Basic-Praefix'

12. Wine-990110

13. Serial port access in wine