Millions of gamers using Linux grid computing!

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=...

Post by Mark » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 04:00:10

> http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=...

butterfly.net now there's justuce ;)

Post by cybea » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 04:30:02

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=...

Quote:> butterfly.net now there's justuce ;)

Yeah, I got a kick out of that as well!

Millions of gamers using Linux grid computing!

Post by Andy Somerfiel » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:15:55

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Hahahhah that looks SHIT. I'm sorry - it really does.. Buy an xbox and try
live.. Put aside your anti MS feelings for 10 minutes and just play on it...
It's the best online * solution ever devised and will continue to be so
for a long time - long after butterfly gets its "9 games" running in mid
2004...

Oh yeah - "millions of gamers using linux grid computing" ... do you realise
that none of the 9 games which will be available at release will be ported
for linux??? not one???

Hhahaha i love this stuff..

Andy

Post by cybea » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:02:18

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:15:55 +0000 (UTC), "Andy Somerfield"

>>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>Hahahhah that looks SHIT. I'm sorry - it really does.. Buy an xbox and try
>>live.. Put aside your anti MS feelings for 10 minutes and just play on
>>it... It's the best online * solution ever devised and will continue
>>to be so for a long time - long after butterfly gets its "9 games" running
>>in mid 2004...

>>Oh yeah - "millions of gamers using linux grid computing" ... do you
>>realise that none of the 9 games which will be available at release will
>>be ported for linux??? not one???

>>Hhahaha i love this stuff..

>>Andy

> I bought an X-Box for my son this past Christmas and I agree the thing is
> amazing.

Wow, a windows user that thinks an Xbox is amazing. Now that's an
endor*t that makes me want to run right to the store and get ANYTHING
else.

Millions of gamers using Linux grid computing!

Post by Martha H Ada » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:05:43

This thread seems odd to me.  I thought groups of Microsoft machines
ran in grids, which they got around to a few years after Linux Beowulf
clusters were making their mark.  As in the movie, Titanic.  So how
does this "Linux grid computing" come in here?  ??

Cheers -- Martha Adams

Post by cybea » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:50:59

> This thread seems odd to me.  I thought groups of Microsoft machines
> ran in grids, which they got around to a few years after Linux Beowulf
> clusters were making their mark.  As in the movie, Titanic.  So how
> does this "Linux grid computing" come in here?  ??

> Cheers -- Martha Adams

Read the full article. Every line and you will see that this grid will be
running Linux.

Millions of gamers using Linux grid computing!

Who cares about millions of lamers?

Post by cybea » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:40:31

>>Wow, a windows user that thinks an Xbox is amazing. Now that's an
>>endor*t that makes me want to run right to the store and get ANYTHING
>>else.
> Your loss.

> BTW he has a Sony PS2 as well.

So? I am questioning your judgement.

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 06:34:17

> Who cares about millions of lamers?

If it weren't for games, Windows would be useless.
I don't play any of the games so it is a pointless thing to
do.

Post by Mark » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 07:45:25

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:15:55 +0000 (UTC), "Andy Somerfield"

>>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>Hahahhah that looks SHIT. I'm sorry - it really does.. Buy an xbox and try
>>live.. Put aside your anti MS feelings for 10 minutes and just play on it...
>>It's the best online * solution ever devised and will continue to be so
>>for a long time - long after butterfly gets its "9 games" running in mid
>>2004...

>>Oh yeah - "millions of gamers using linux grid computing" ... do you realise
>>that none of the 9 games which will be available at release will be ported
>>for linux??? not one???

>>Hhahaha i love this stuff..

>>Andy

> I bought an X-Box for my son this past Christmas and I agree the thing is
> amazing.

Yeah it can ru Linux.

Post by cybea » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 17:21:46

>>> Your loss.

>>> BTW he has a Sony PS2 as well.

>>So? I am questioning your judgement.

> And I yours.

> If you have a brain you would look past your rabid zealotism and easily
> see which game machine is better.

GotchA

Post by cybea » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:27:35

>>> I bought an X-Box for my son this past Christmas and I agree the thing
>>> is amazing.

>>Wow, a windows user that thinks an Xbox is amazing. Now that's an
>>endor*t that makes me want to run right to the store and get ANYTHING
>>else.

> Why would someone running Windows have an affect on the legitimacy of
> his review? Leave your tiny little world, and you will see that
> practically all computer end users use Windows, and they all have a
> varied set of opinions and preferences. A Windows user would have no
> reason to prefer an X-Box or a Playstation 2 or a Gamecube. Not every
> computer user is as zealous towards his OS as you, and extrapolating
> your experiences of this newsgroup into the real world will not work.

> Most computer users use their computer as an OS, not as a religion.

2 reasons

company loyalty. It is quite often that people who like one product from a
company they will gain a level of trust in that company. Manytimes the
people don't even know this is happening. Once that level of trust has been
established the customer is willing to overlook things in the product from
the company he likes and be critical of the product he does not know or
trust. Fatty has shown incredible loyalty to MS based on his Windows
experience. I have no doubt that Fatty is not impartial when it comes to
judging other products from MS. People make this sort of judgment all the
time. Flatties opinion of MS produces is based on his positive view of
other MS products and MS its self.

I've given you reason number one, now lets see if you are smart enough to
get reason number 2.

Post by cybea » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:49:34

>>> BTW he has a Sony PS2 as well.

>>So? I am questioning your judgement.

> His judgement is illegitimate because he happens to use the OS that
> nearly all computer end-users use? You may as well say he's biased in
> conducting a car review because he uses a petrol-driven car.

No, I don't TRUST his judgment of MS products because, in my opinion, MS
products are over priced, full of security holes (do you want me to post
the link to the 13 unhatched security holes in IE alone again?) and full of
bugs that make the OS unreliable. I question his judgment about MS products
because he is willing ot overlook what I consider "show stopper" flaws in
MS's best selling product.

To correct your car analogy, I would question flatty's opinion of what cars
he likes if I saw that he wrote a review where he claimed a 2003 Ford
pickup got 95MPG hwy, 120MPG city, sat six in the cab comfortably, _never_
needed repairs, Went from 0-60 in 1.5 seconds and could float on water. I
would consider ANY other vehicle before I would look at Ford pickups
because I know enough about Ford Pickups to know that a review like this
would be BS. Now, If he started saying the Ford Corrola was the best car
ever built, I would consider how wrong he was in his review of the pick up.
Ask myself if I trusted his auto reviews. Realize that he was so far off
that I wouldn't trust his opinion on ANYTHING and strongly suspect that
there are reasons that he had lost so much objectivity when it came to
Fords,...

Millions of gamers using Linux grid computing!

Post by Jazz » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 00:55:08

11000110011000111000 DrSquare 11111001011110 Saturday 01 March 2003
18:28 11000101000001100 comp.os.linux.advocacy :

>>>Wow, a windows user that thinks an Xbox is amazing. Now that's an
>>>endor*t that makes me want to run right to the store and get
>>>ANYTHING else.
>>Your loss.

>>BTW he has a Sony PS2 as well.

> Wow, what good parents you are, buying your kid all these consoles so
> he never has to experience real life.

What? Jealous?

--
Jazz.
VapourSig.net 2003 has been postponed indefinitely

1. OpenSource GRID/batch computing software for Linux?

Anyone know of any software (free/OpenSource) for Linux that can be used to
allocate CPU time from a server pool to run batch processes? We have some
servers with low loads at night that could be allocated to other proccesses
(engineering designs, etc.) I  know of the good stuff such as LSF but those
are very pricey and unfortunately Sun's works in Linux but only when you run
on Sparc.

thanks

2. Sound quality problems with SoundBlaster 16

3. Grid Computing Oracle Style (linux, of cource)

4. problems with irq

5. IBM, Linux and grid computing

6. CHALLENGE TO PERSONS KNOWING OF THE LINUX

7. Grid Computing Expert Exchange 2003-12-02

8. httpd_1.5 and and .shtml

9. OT: Holy Cow: Gateway Grid Computing

10. OT - GRID Computing

11. grid computing and sun