State of linux distros

State of linux distros

Post by dev nul » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:29:56



Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE has
laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting back on its
workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto services.
Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on Debian, has
recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere with its Linux
distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones whose
market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make money
selling Linux.....

--------------------------------------------
Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit on
a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there is
only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they think
you have 'window-fied' linux!

I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Reefe » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 00:02:01


Linsux is dead.



Quote:> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

> In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
> distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE has
> laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting back on
its
> workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto services.
> Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on Debian, has
> recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere with its Linux
> distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones
whose
> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make
money
> selling Linux.....

> --------------------------------------------
> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit
on
> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there
is
> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
> braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they
think
> you have 'window-fied' linux!

> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.


 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Tim Hanso » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 00:14:43



> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

> In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
> distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE has
> laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting back on its
> workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto services.
> Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on Debian, has
> recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere with its Linux
> distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones whose
> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make money
> selling Linux.....

> --------------------------------------------
> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit on
> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there is
> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
> braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they think
> you have 'window-fied' linux!

> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.


^^^^^^^^^^ You got that part right.

--
Pick another fortune cookie.

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Edward Roste » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 00:16:10


Quote:> Linsux is dead.

Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

-ed



>> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

>> In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
>> distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE
>> has laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting
>> back on
> its
>> workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto
>> services. Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on
>> Debian, has recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere
>> with its Linux distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions,
>> even the ones
> whose
>> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make
> money
>> selling Linux.....

>> --------------------------------------------
>> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a
>> profit
> on
>> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And
>> there
> is
>> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas
>> start braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when
>> they
> think
>> you have 'window-fied' linux!

>> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
>> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

--
                                                     | u98ejr

             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
                                                     | .ac.uk
 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Reefe » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 00:51:21


Quote:> Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
> Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

Win2kpro works perfectly with a P133, just make sure u have 'nuff memory
...lets say 128 MB RAM .
 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Reefe » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:06:43


Quote:> Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
> Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

OR u could try to uppgrade your hardware a little bit perhaps ...this IS the
year 2001 u know, 'puters are fairly cheap ;-)
 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Craig Kelle » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:06:26



> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

> In spite of the fact that Mandrake boasts that it is the hottest Linux
> distributor in retail sales, its retail product is a loss leader. SuSE has
> laid off two-thirds of its U.S. employees. TurboLinux is cutting back on its
> workforce and may soon wed Linuxcare to refocus its efforts onto services.
> Stormix, a commercial distributor that based its offering on Debian, has
> recently filed for bankruptcy. Corel is getting nowhere with its Linux
> distribution. In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones whose
> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make money
> selling Linux.....

> --------------------------------------------
> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit on
> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there is
> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
> braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they think
> you have 'window-fied' linux!

> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

Just so long as phat-Linux doesn't go bankrupt.  That would ruin my day!

--
The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.


 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by cat » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:21:42



Quote:> > Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
> > Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

> OR u could try to uppgrade your hardware a little bit perhaps ...this IS
the
> year 2001 u know, 'puters are fairly cheap ;-)

That argument will never work here. Even when a 128 sdram stick is < $100.
You see, MS is in cahoots with the memory manufacturers somehow.
Buying new hardware is tantamount to giving money to Bill the Borg.

Reality check:
Take an older box, say a PPRO 200 with 128mb's of ram. Put BugHat 6.2 or 7
on it.
Run KDE or Gnome for awhile. Now, put NT 4 on it. -both standard installs,
with or without networking.  Look at the working memory sets of both.
Ram? Case closed.

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Mike » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:18:17



Quote:> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

> ...   In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones whose
> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make
money
> selling Linux.....

> --------------------------------------------
> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit
on
> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there
is
> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
> braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they
think
> you have 'window-fied' linux!

> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

And yet, Red Hat appears to be consolidating its leadership position, and
was (until the recent slowdown) on track to become profitable next year.
They are selling exactly that "dubious value" you refer to.

But it appears that they are the only Linux distribution vendor who has a
viable chance of long term survival and reasonable financial success at this
point. The problem for Red Hat is that this places them one notch below
Microsoft in the open source bible. Corporations might like them, but
they'll be trashed on cola in proportion to their success - especially since
that success will be viewed as coming at the expense of other distributions,
and because as Red Hat becomes the de facto Linux standard, their decisions
about what to put in their distribution will directly affect the success of
open source projects.

-- Mike --

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Charlie Ebe » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:44:35





>> > Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
>> > Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

>> OR u could try to uppgrade your hardware a little bit perhaps ...this IS
>the
>> year 2001 u know, 'puters are fairly cheap ;-)

>That argument will never work here. Even when a 128 sdram stick is < $100.
>You see, MS is in cahoots with the memory manufacturers somehow.
>Buying new hardware is tantamount to giving money to Bill the Borg.

>Reality check:
>Take an older box, say a PPRO 200 with 128mb's of ram. Put BugHat 6.2 or 7
>on it.
>Run KDE or Gnome for awhile. Now, put NT 4 on it. -both standard installs,
>with or without networking.  Look at the working memory sets of both.
>Ram? Case closed.

Microsoft is in the business of building furture Linux supercomputers.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org                              

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Charlie Ebe » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:47:01





>> Culled somewhere off of www.devx.com this a.m.

>> ...   In other words, most Linux distributions, even the ones whose
>> market share is growing each year, are concluding that they can't make
>money
>> selling Linux.....

>> --------------------------------------------
>> Wow, get that! Companies sprouting up like weeds, trying to turn a profit
>on
>> a free product by adding value only.  --dubious value at that. And there
>is
>> only SO much value one can add to a linux distro or the penquinistas start
>> braying like donkeys in heat. See Corel for what can happen when they
>think
>> you have 'window-fied' linux!

>> I'm STILL wondering how they ever thought that they COULD be viable.
>> dot com madness, something like mad-cow disease I think.

>And yet, Red Hat appears to be consolidating its leadership position, and
>was (until the recent slowdown) on track to become profitable next year.
>They are selling exactly that "dubious value" you refer to.

>But it appears that they are the only Linux distribution vendor who has a
>viable chance of long term survival and reasonable financial success at this
>point. The problem for Red Hat is that this places them one notch below
>Microsoft in the open source bible. Corporations might like them, but
>they'll be trashed on cola in proportion to their success - especially since
>that success will be viewed as coming at the expense of other distributions,
>and because as Red Hat becomes the de facto Linux standard, their decisions
>about what to put in their distribution will directly affect the success of
>open source projects.

>-- Mike --

Somebody had to win.  I'm not sorry it was RedHat.

But keep in Mind, that doesn't automatically mean that Debian is dead!
But it might mean that Suse get's bought out, Caldera get's bought out.
Turbo Linux get's bought out.

I view Caldera as a target for Microsoft as they already half way think
like Microsoft.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org                              

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:20:55




>But keep in Mind, that doesn't automatically mean that Debian is dead!

Debian will never die because it's free, and this IMO is a very good thing, I
see it as a last line of defence, in that it's something that will always be
there.

Quote:>But it might mean that Suse get's bought out, Caldera get's bought out.
>Turbo Linux get's bought out.

I think it will be difficult to get rid of SuSE and Turbo, because SuSE
is "European Linux", Turbo is "East Asian Linux". Redhat is essentially
"American Linux". (Debian is "free Linux") They all seem to have pretty
solid niches carved out for themselves. On the other hand, Caldera don't
fit into this picture at all. (I'm also not sure how long both Mandrake
and Redhat will last ... )

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:32:56




>But it appears that they are the only Linux distribution vendor who has a
>viable chance of long term survival and reasonable financial success at this
>point.

SuSE and Turbo also have a pretty good chance IMO. The world is bigger than
the US.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by Tim Hanso » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:57:36





> >But keep in Mind, that doesn't automatically mean that Debian is dead!

> Debian will never die because it's free, and this IMO is a very good thing, I
> see it as a last line of defence, in that it's something that will always be
> there.

The Debian Project is also the poster child, getting contributions from
just about everybody, including hardware from the likes of Compaq, as
well as IIRC, Red Hat.  It is in the true spirit of copylefted free
software.  I just did an install completely off the net.  No CDs or
local media except a couple of floppies for booting, which I also got
off their site.  Didn't cost me a dime.  I love broadband.

Quote:> >But it might mean that Suse get's bought out, Caldera get's bought out.
> >Turbo Linux get's bought out.

> I think it will be difficult to get rid of SuSE and Turbo, because SuSE
> is "European Linux", Turbo is "East Asian Linux". Redhat is essentially
> "American Linux". (Debian is "free Linux") They all seem to have pretty
> solid niches carved out for themselves. On the other hand, Caldera don't
> fit into this picture at all. (I'm also not sure how long both Mandrake
> and Redhat will last ... )

Caldera is out of the consumer market.  Turbo and SuSE are doing well in
their respective markets.  Mandrake will stay.  The rest don't need to
go out of business; most of them will play to niches, like real time
embedded, tiny, cluster, etc.

Quote:> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

--
Dave Mack:      "Your stupidity, Allen, is simply not up to par."
Allen Gwinn:    "Yours is."
 
 
 

State of linux distros

Post by goug.. » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:07:15



> > Yep. I'll just trash my HDDs and install Windows 2000 on my P133.
> > Oh, yeah and shell out for it as well :-)

> Win2kpro works perfectly with a P133, just make sure u have 'nuff memory
> ...lets say 128 MB RAM .

Oh in that case, I'll set Win2k up as a mail server on a 486...oh hold
on, that won't work will it?  Maybe Linux lives on after all...
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club
 
 
 

1. Current state of various distros

For various reasons I am thinking of jumping off of the RedHat band
wagon.  I need support for booting from a mirror set and having
everything else runing as a stripe set with a 2.4.8+ kernel.  I've
been immersed in RH for some time and honestly don't know where the
other distro's are.  For philosophical roots Debian sounds like where
I want to be, but can it handle what I need without major mods?
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|Chuck Mattern          | "People often find it easier to be a result |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. UDP checksums in NFS packets

3. FWD- Red Hat is indeed the Bugs Hat and the suckest distro amongst the Linux distros.

4. A little help please re: VPN client

5. Distro or not to Distro..... that is the ????

6. Problems with external ISDN Acer-Modem

7. Slackware distro secure? (was Redhat distro secure?)

8. Hardware OpenGL

9. State Database and State Database Replicas problem?

10. what does "-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED" mean when used in iptables config file?

11. Suggest TASK_KILLABLE state to overcome most D state trouble

12. determining socket state without affecting its state.

13. Combining NATD with IPFW's "keep-state" and "check-state" rules