The Proper Naming Convention

Post by Bone » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:30:03

From the Slashdot comments about the FSF awards:

   Linus Torvalds (Score:2)

   (User #546651 Info)
   Considering RMS received the Linus Torvalds award it seems only
   fitting that Linus get the FSF Award. ;)
     * He already did! by Longinus (Score:2) Friday September 06,

   Re:He already did! - but... (Score:5, Funny)

   (User #30647 Info | http://www.federated.com/~jim)
   Linus Torvalds has received the award, but the plaque was engraved...
     GNU/Linus Torvalds
   in order to reduce confusion.
          + Re:He already did! - but... by bhsx (Score:2) Friday

--
Bones

Post by cybea » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:01:09

> From the Slashdot comments about the FSF awards:

>    Linus Torvalds (Score:2)

>    (User #546651 Info)
>    Considering RMS received the Linus Torvalds award it seems only
>    fitting that Linus get the FSF Award. ;)
>      * He already did! by Longinus (Score:2) Friday September 06,

>    Re:He already did! - but... (Score:5, Funny)

>    (User #30647 Info | http://www.federated.com/~jim)
>    Linus Torvalds has received the award, but the plaque was engraved...
>      GNU/Linus Torvalds
>    in order to reduce confusion.
>           + Re:He already did! - but... by bhsx (Score:2) Friday

Looks like Linux people have a sense of humor even when they disagree with
each other. Something the latest batch of winvocates seem to lack.

1. Unix naming conventions from the dark times

Hi there,

When wandering through a Unix environment, I sometimes find myself
pondering on those cryptic names one gets across.

Some of them are obvious, others aren't.
I think I know the origin of these 'cryptogrammes':

bin     -       binaries
src     -       source
lib     -       library
dev     -       device
tmp     -       temporary
tty     -       teletype
(nowadays, term for terminal would make more sense, right?)
termcap -       terminal capabilities

But what about names like 'var'?
My first (wild) guess would be an association with 'variable', right?
And sbin (system binaries?)
Or 'etc' (etcetera?)

Surely, some elderly fellow-unix-user must remember the origins for
those names from the early days...

        Bram Stolk

2. remove IO APIC newline

3. code naming convention

4. NCR53c810 not working with plato-board -- HELP NEEDED

5. Naming conventions for shell script variables?

6. SuSE 6.2 NIC install help

7. Release naming conventions

8. Port numbers in Solaris

9. Solaris Patches naming convention

10. Device Naming Convention

11. partition naming convention ?

12. pty naming conventions

13. Conventions for file name "extensions"