OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by cybea » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 04:24:19

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>>What is happening?

>>I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
>>and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
>>It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

>>AH

> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

> It's really a joke.

> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> out............

Easy, RTFM.

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by alt » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 04:31:56

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>>What is happening?

>>I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation
>>instructions,
>>and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
>>It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

>>AH

look under /usr/local or /usr/share

it's an unfortunate reality that there isn't a standard menu system
yet. There are systems that try to compensate, but for the most part,
it isn't there just yet.

I've personally installed OpenOffice using Debian's apt-get which
does show me OO in the menus.

Another thing, now that I'm thinking about it, StarOffice does, I
believe, support the KDE Desktop, so the solution may be to restart
KDE.

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Jeff » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 04:52:43

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>>What is happening?

>>I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
>>and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
>>It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

>>AH

> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

> It's really a joke.

> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> out............

> what command actually starts the damm thing.

> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

> Too many compilers and not enough common sense.
> That's Linux.

Then go spend the $400+ dollars on Office XP then* head. I happen to
look at setting up your own icons as a nice feature. Also don't you trolls
read the installation instructions or look to see where your
application is being installed when you install something? Shit the
installation could tell you its going to format your HD and you would just
click Next Next Next Next.

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Jeff » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 05:30:15

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>>What is happening?

>>I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
>>and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
>>It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

>>AH

> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

> It's really a joke.

> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> out............

> what command actually starts the damm thing.

> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

> Too many compilers and not enough common sense.
> That's Linux.

Ok flatdick it took me all of about 15 minutes download and install and setup OpenOffice
on my system.

5 Minutes to download it.
1 Minute to explode the tar ball
3 Minutes to read the install PDF
5 Minutes to install it.

And it puts icons on your start bar either KDE or GNOME. The user above did
not read the installation instructions (typical Windows user). He probably
just ran the install script and did not follow up with the setup script.
See there are few ways to actually install it network installation/multiuser
and single users installation all right there in the install PDF. So flatdick
I am waiting for another ignorant post.

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Ian Pege » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:14:41

For it was written by flatfish+++:

Quote:> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> out............

Is it really that difficult for the install program to figure this out?
Or is it the sort of thing that the "enlightened" ones find so trivial.

A few minutes' work could make a lot of difference to people's
perception. What about standardised setups for gnome and kde? The rest of
us obnoxious sods who use the likes of WindowMaker et al should be able
to work it out by ourselves.

--

Ian

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Paul Robso » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:51:16

> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

> Too many compilers and not enough common sense.
> That's Linux.

True, but at least we know what it's name is.

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Paul Cook » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:07:54

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>>>What is happening?

>>>I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
>>>and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
>>>It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

>>>AH

>> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

>> It's really a joke.

>> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
>> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
>> out............

>> what command actually starts the damm thing.

>> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

>> Too many compilers and not enough common sense.
>> That's Linux.

> Then go spend the $400+ dollars on Office XP then* head. I happen
> to look at setting up your own icons as a nice feature. Also don't you
> trolls read the installation instructions or look to see where your
> application is being installed when you install something? Shit the
> installation could tell you its going to format your HD and you would
> just click Next Next Next Next.

someone did over in alt.os.xindows-xp and then complained about it wiping
out his XP install and how he couldn't get to his :C drive anymore...
what he claimed to have installed was RedHat and it looks like he just
accepted the default install options and let it re-partition his whole
drive exclusively for Linux...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Luc » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:33:20

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

> >What is happening?

> >I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
> >and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
> >It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

> >AH

> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

> It's really a joke.

> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> out............

> what command actually starts the damm thing.

> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

Not at all.
I use SuSE 8.0 Pro.
After the installation of Open Office I just log out of KDE and back in and
there is my OpenOffice in the KDE and Gnome menu ?

So, what's the problem ?

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Paul Robso » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:30:43

> Not at all.
> I use SuSE 8.0 Pro.
> After the installation of Open Office I just log out of KDE and back in
> and there is my OpenOffice in the KDE and Gnome menu ?

> So, what's the problem ?

Egbert Flatfish uses RH3.0 running the 0.1 kernel (so he can criticise the
fonts).

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Rick » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:44:28

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>>What is happening?

>>I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
>>and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office? It's nowhere
>>on my desktop or menus.

>>AH

> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

> It's really a joke.

no, you are the joke.

Quote:

> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> out............

There should be a KDE or Gnome menu entry in the Office submenu.

Quote:

> what command actually starts the damm thing.

from a commandline:
~/OpenOffice.x.x.x/soffice

Quote:

> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

YOU arent ready for the general public.

Quote:

Post by Rick » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:47:30

> For it was written by flatfish+++:

>> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
>> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
>> out............

> Is it really that difficult for the install program to figure this out?
> Or is it the sort of thing that the "enlightened" ones find so trivial.

> A few minutes' work could make a lot of difference to people's
> perception. What about standardised setups for gnome and kde? The rest
> of us obnoxious sods who use the likes of WindowMaker et al should be
> able to work it out by ourselves.

You mean I'm not the only one using WindowMaker?

--
Rick

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Garf » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:58:52

>> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:36:42 GMT, Arne Bj?rn Henriksen

>> >What is happening?

>> >I'm installing OpenOffice 1.0 according to installation instructions,
>> >and installation performs normal.  But,... Where is Office?
>> >It's nowhere on my desktop or menus.

>> >AH

>> That's called the "Linux Stealth Installation"

>> It's really a joke.

>> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
>> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
>> out............

>> what command actually starts the damm thing.

>> Another reason why Linux is NOT ready for the general public.

> Not at all.
> I use SuSE 8.0 Pro.
> After the installation of Open Office I just log out of KDE and back in
> and there is my OpenOffice in the KDE and Gnome menu ?

> So, what's the problem ?

Hmm, I don't think I even logged out and back in..
--
H&Ks
Garf

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Charlie Eber » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:15:52

> > For it was written by flatfish+++:

> >> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
> >> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
> >> out............

> > Is it really that difficult for the install program to figure this out?
> > Or is it the sort of thing that the "enlightened" ones find so trivial.

> > A few minutes' work could make a lot of difference to people's
> > perception. What about standardised setups for gnome and kde? The rest
> > of us obnoxious sods who use the likes of WindowMaker et al should be
> > able to work it out by ourselves.

> You mean I'm not the only one using WindowMaker?

> --
> Rick

I'll probably never use anything other than WindowMaker!

Gnome and KDE just don't float my boat.

Charlie

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Ian Pege » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:00:55

For it was written by Rick:

>> For it was written by flatfish+++:

>>> The program is installed but it's your task, should you accept it, to
>>> figure out where the hell it is and you get extra points for figuring
>>> out............

>> Is it really that difficult for the install program to figure this out?
>> Or is it the sort of thing that the "enlightened" ones find so trivial.

>> A few minutes' work could make a lot of difference to people's
>> perception. What about standardised setups for gnome and kde? The rest
>> of us obnoxious sods who use the likes of WindowMaker et al should be
>> able to work it out by ourselves.

> You mean I'm not the only one using WindowMaker?

I just tried KDE 3. Great desktop, wonderful eye candy. But I don't
know. WindowMaker is just so.... it does it for me,  what with the little
dock apps and its entire being. It is the one. There is something about
its Zen. I love it!

Perhaps it is because KDE is reminiscent (superficially) to another OS.
I cannot for the life of me work it out. WindowMaker just fits so damn
close - what else would I use?

--
Ian

OpenOffice.org 1.0

Post by Charlie Eber » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:05:08

> For it was written by Rick:

> >> For it was written by flatfish+++:

> >> Is it really that difficult for the install program to figure this out?
> >> Or is it the sort of thing that the "enlightened" ones find so trivial.

> >> A few minutes' work could make a lot of difference to people's
> >> perception. What about standardised setups for gnome and kde? The rest
> >> of us obnoxious sods who use the likes of WindowMaker et al should be
> >> able to work it out by ourselves.

> > You mean I'm not the only one using WindowMaker?

> I just tried KDE 3. Great desktop, wonderful eye candy. But I don't
> know. WindowMaker is just so.... it does it for me,  what with the little
> dock apps and its entire being. It is the one. There is something about
> its Zen. I love it!

> Perhaps it is because KDE is reminiscent (superficially) to another OS.
> I cannot for the life of me work it out. WindowMaker just fits so damn
> close - what else would I use?

> --
> Ian

I am certainly not in the race to replicate the XtraPoop system.
WindowMaker is Linux's answer to Windows 3.x with a flair,
higher level of sophistication.

It comes from that era and the era of deskview.

Charlie

1. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

"May 1, 2002 - The OpenOffice.org community today
announced the availability of OpenOffice.org 1.0,
the open source, multi-platform, multi-lingual office
productivity suite available as a free download at
the OpenOffice.org community website. OpenOffice.org
1.0 is the culmination of more than 18 months of
collaborative effort by members of the OpenOffice.org
community, which is comprised of Sun employees, volunteer
developers, marketers, and end users working to create
an international office suite that will run on all major
platforms."

http://www.openoffice.org/
(if it's not busy, that is)

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

2. Linux NAT Router

3. OpenOffice.org 1.0 available for Tru64 Unix.

4. Space on /var file system

5. OpenOffice.org 1.0 Port Now Working On FreeBSD

6. My PPP is dead. Help me.

7. Creating databases with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice

8. VIPER 770/2Gb Memory problem

9. connect timeout to openoffice.org

10. OpenOffice.org vs Word

11. "So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

12. OpenOffice.org availability

13. OpenOffice.org came through again