How would you do it?

Post by rapska » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 01:58:37

Being the extremely lazy person that I am, I like the idea of having one
centralized area where I can receive and check all the current information
and news.

I really like the idea of getting email that would list for me all the
local headline links, weather, sports, news, etc.

Normally, I get all this information from a slew of sites that I have to
visit seperately, but this goes against my slothlike nature (i.e. too much
work ;-), so what I was considering was somehow being able to write a
script or proggie that would automatically go out at a certain time every
morning and grab this data and then compile it and send it to my local
email.

In the easiest way you can think of (remember, I'm very lazy), how would
you go about this and what tools would you use?

I was thinking maybe links, wget, awk (or sed) and cron.

--
rapskat  -  7:50pm  up 1 day, 22:49,  4 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.29, 0.22
drop the hot to mail me

All for love, or the world well lost. -- Dryden.

How would you do it?

Post by Todd R » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:18:34

> Being the extremely lazy person that I am, I like the idea of having one
> centralized area where I can receive and check all the current information
> and news.

> I really like the idea of getting email that would list for me all the
> local headline links, weather, sports, news, etc.

> Normally, I get all this information from a slew of sites that I have to
> visit seperately, but this goes against my slothlike nature (i.e. too much
> work ;-), so what I was considering was somehow being able to write a
> script or proggie that would automatically go out at a certain time every
> morning and grab this data and then compile it and send it to my local
> email.

> In the easiest way you can think of (remember, I'm very lazy), how would
> you go about this and what tools would you use?

> I was thinking maybe links, wget, awk (or sed) and cron.

www.my.yahoo.com

You can configure it to provide articles from just about every news source
going.

Todd

How would you do it?

Post by Daniel Tryb » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:52:37

> Normally, I get all this information from a slew of sites that I have to
> visit seperately, but this goes against my slothlike nature (i.e. too much
> work ;-), so what I was considering was somehow being able to write a
> script or proggie that would automatically go out at a certain time every
> morning and grab this data and then compile it and send it to my local
> email.

> In the easiest way you can think of (remember, I'm very lazy), how would
> you go about this and what tools would you use?

> I was thinking maybe links, wget, awk (or sed) and cron.

I use an iPAQ/PHP/Avantgo combination for this kind of stuff. Since you
have a Zaurus (IIRC) you could do something similar. Avantgo is the only
reason why I still haven't replaced PocketPC with Linux, but multiboot
:( But there appears to be some effort to get something similar to
Linux.

--

  Daniel Tryba

How would you do it?

Post by Jim Richardso » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:56:01

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

How would you do it?

Post by Tim Smit » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:24:06

> I was thinking maybe links, wget, awk (or sed) and cron.

Perl, perl, perl (or perl) and cron. :-)

I've done something kind of similar, except instead of news, it is TV
listings.

I've got a script that goes to tv.yahoo.com and gets the current TV listings.
From that, it extracts a list of channels and their URLs and saves that in a
convenient format.

I've got another script that takes a list of channels in that format, and a
day (e.g., 0 for today, 1 for tomorrow, 2 for the day after tomorrow, and so
on), and goes and downloads the listings for each channel on that day,
outputing for each program a line in the form

    channel,date/time,category,url,program title and rating

where the url is the URL for the description of the program.

Finally, there are scripts to take those lines and format them in
interesting ways.  For example, here was part of a movie listing from a
couple months ago:

    Mrs. Winterbourne (1996) **+ (PG13), CC
            SHOW 537,Sun Mar 17 15:00 2002
            SHOW 537,Mon Mar 18 01:45 2002
            SHOWP 540,Sun Mar 17 18:00 2002
            SHOWP 540,Mon Mar 18 04:45 2002
            SHOWP 540,Mon Mar 18 04:45 2002
    Multiplicity (1996) **+ (PG13), CC
            MOMAX 513,Mon Mar 18 08:00 2002
    Mumford (1999) **+ (R), CC
            ENCORE 526,Fri Mar 15 08:35 2002
            ENCOREP 527,Fri Mar 15 11:35 2002
    * Call: Deadline (1997) (NR) TV14
            MYSTERY 530,Wed Mar 20 01:40 2002
            MYSTERY 530,Wed Mar 20 11:10 2002
    * at 75 Birch (1999) (NR) TVPG, CC
            LIFE 252,Sun Mar 17 13:00 2002
    *, Inc. (1960) *** (NR)
            AMC 254,Sun Mar 17 14:30 2002
            AMC 254,Mon Mar 25 02:00 2002
    Music for Millions (1944) **+ (NR), CC
            TCM 256,Sat Mar 16 02:30 2002
    Music of the Heart (1999) **+ (PG), CC
            STARZ 520,Sat Mar 23 13:00 2002
            STARZP 521,Sat Mar 23 16:00 2002
    Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) **** (NR), CC
            TCM 256,Sat Mar 23 17:00 2002
    Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) **+ (NR), CC
            TCM 256,Sat Mar 23 06:30 2002

That was formatted using the movie script.  If I had used the hmovie script,
it would have come out in HTML, with the titles being links to
tv.yahoo.com's description of each title.

I hadn't done any perl programming for a couple of years, so the scripts are
real ugly, but they work. :-)

It's a pure hack job.  E.g,, I don't actually parse the HTML...I just rip it
apart with regular expressions.

Maybe I'll put these up somewhere for download, if anyone thinks they would
be useful.

--Tim Smith

How would you do it?

Post by rapska » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:35:05

Error Log for Thu, 06 Jun 2002 01:24:06 -0400: segfault in module "Tim
Smith" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Maybe I'll put these up somewhere for download, if anyone thinks they
> would be useful.

I wouldn't mind taking a peek at them if you get a chance.

--
rapskat  -  1:30am  up 2 days,  4:29,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
drop the hot to mail me

IF YOU LIVE AS IF EACH DAY WERE YOUR LAST, IT PROBABLY WILL BE.

How would you do it?

Post by OneOverNough » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:50:32

<shameless plug>
If you are looking for a graphical tool ie under KDE.  I have writen
K.R.S.S. which does just that.  You can check it out at
http://krss.sourceforge.net.
</shameless plug>

Chris

> Being the extremely lazy person that I am, I like the idea of having one
> centralized area where I can receive and check all the current
> information and news.

> I really like the idea of getting email that would list for me all the
> local headline links, weather, sports, news, etc.

> Normally, I get all this information from a slew of sites that I have to
> visit seperately, but this goes against my slothlike nature (i.e. too
> much work ;-), so what I was considering was somehow being able to write
> a script or proggie that would automatically go out at a certain time
> every morning and grab this data and then compile it and send it to my
> local email.

> In the easiest way you can think of (remember, I'm very lazy), how would
> you go about this and what tools would you use?

> I was thinking maybe links, wget, awk (or sed) and cron.

1. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

Muy buenas!!!,
Le escribo ya que tengo algunos problemas y dudas acerca de linux.
Espero que tu/Usted me pueda hechar una mano, ya que poco a poco me
estoy desesperando... He escrito muchsimos emilios a los diferentes
grupos de noticias, pero nadie me puede ayudar...:
Desde principios del verano del 97, llevo utilizando la versin de
S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2 (Krnl: 2.0.33, Xfree:3.3.2, con la version beta del
KDE.) Es la versin alemana que incluye 4 CD`s...
Mis dudas son:
1. ?Linux es compatible con mi procesador K6-2 a 350Mhz? Supongo que si,
ya que funciona,,, pero he odo algo por lo del cach de segundo
nivl...He odo que hace falta un patch para Linux que haga que Linux
utilice el cach de segundo nivel...?Es verdad?
2.En mi otro ordenador (un Pentium 133 con tarjeta grfica S3 Virge) he
conseguido hacer que funcione todo perfectamente. Todo, incluido el
entorno grfico...
Pero en mi nuevo ordenador (un K6-2/350 en placa ASUS P5A con tarjeta
grfica Trident 3DImge975 de 4 Mb) no consigo configurar el entorno
grfico. Cuando intento configurar la tarjeta grfica, con el programa
incluido en mi versin S.u.S.E. "YaST" o bien con el programa estndar,
me sale una ventana peque?a (ms o menos de 4cm de alto y tan ancha como
la pantalla) con mil lineas movindose de desordenadamente... Levemente
se v, que es el entorno grfico de "FVWM2"...pero en ese estado no se
puede hacer nada de nada...Me paso a la consola desde la cual he
ejecutado "startx" y presiono Ctrl&C...Desde la primera consola al
parecer no aparecen errores y parece estar todo bien...He probado mil
configuraciones diferentes de resolucin y colores pero nada,
tampoco...Mi targeta (Trident 3d Imge 975) est en la base de datos de
las targetas soportadas, pero aun as no la reconoce bien. En la caja de
versin de Linux pone que mi targeta est soportada, y ms alante pone
que estn soportadas experimentalmente y adems sin aceleracin... Esto
ltimo (que est en modo experimental) lo acabo de ver ahora y no me lo
imaginaba... <---puede ser que mi problema sea por los drivers??? A ver
si ahora me conecto, mando este mensaje y busco el driver
acutalizado...   Ahora que he visto que los drivers, para mi tarjeta
grfica, que incluye mi versin de Linux son experimentales me parece un
poco estpida haberte hecho esta pregunta... pero an as gracias por
leerla...
3. Por ltimo,: ?Sabes de algn programa para entrar en Internet por
RED? Para que desde el Pentium pueda entrar en internet con el K6. Tipo
"Internet-Share"....      Muchas gracias en adelanto, Daniel     --->

2. 630MP boot fail, "runpoll: timeout...."

3. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

4. prompt help

5. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

6. TNT2 Drivers, Diamond Viper 770

7. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

8. Routing problem

10. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

11. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

12. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

13. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?