Linux Journal or Linux Mag

Post by William Gr » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:08:12

Trying to decide which to subscribe to.  Interested in something
with a home user in mind.

-Wes

--
"Sigourney Weaver is pretty cool, he really kicks ass in all those
alien movies, even if he does look a little like a chick."

Linux Journal or Linux Mag

Post by alt » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:50:20

On Saturday 09 November 2002 21:08, William Gray had a brain fart:

Quote:> Trying to decide which to subscribe to.  Interested in something
> with a home user in mind.

> -Wes

Umm.. Both! :)

I'm not sure either is geared towards the Home User, but they do make
for great reading. I also buy "Sys Admin" magazine, which is devoted
to Unix System Administration.

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!

Linux Journal or Linux Mag

Post by Spiceru » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:36:10

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:08:12 +0000, William Gray revealed:

Quote:> Trying to decide which to subscribe to.  Interested in something with a
> home user in mind.

> -Wes

I used to be a subscriber to both.  However, since Linux Magazine has
started accepting ads from Microsoft, their editorial staff seems to
have change their views to favor MS...If they have continued on like they
were going when my subscription ran out, they probably look like a Linux
Magazine as edited by Funkenbusch (a wintroll).

I think Linux Journal is your best bet.  I still subscribe to them, and
they have some really nice and helpful articles (including some articles
online that didn't fit in the magazine).  Totally Linux....and no MS ads
(or embrace and extend philosophy).

Linux Journal or Linux Mag

Post by Roy Cull » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:05:37

Quote:

> Trying to decide which to subscribe to.  Interested in something
> with a home user in mind.

I used to subscribe to both. I think I remember LJ saying they would
never accept MS adverts. When LM first started accepting the MS ads I
emailed the editor. The reply politely said * you. Before my
subsciption to LM expired it just got thinner and thinner.

Linux Format sounds like a good magazine but it costs just far too
much IMHO.

Linux Journal or Linux Mag

Post by rapska » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:34:51

Error log for Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:08:12 +0000, segfault in module "William
Gray": dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Trying to decide which to subscribe to.  Interested in something with a
> home user in mind.

> -Wes

When I was doing research into the two, I went with LJ of LM because of
two things...

1)  LM didn't seem to be well organized at all.   I filled out their
online subscription form and never heard from them, twice!

2)  I heard that they have started to become more compromising wrt their
position of M$

When I get my LJ, I can be sure that I'm getting 100% Pure Linux related
content, even the ads are all Linux related.  It's $25 well spent IMHO.

--
rapskat -   3:30am  up 6 days, 18:41,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.09
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

The most dangerous organization in America today is:
        (a) The KKK
        (b) The American Nazi Party
        (c) The Delta Frequent Flyer Club

Linux Journal or Linux Mag

Post by Ian Pege » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:37:11

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, on Sunday 10 November 2002 4:05 am,
Roy Culley spake the following:

>> Trying to decide which to subscribe to.  Interested in
>> something with a home user in mind.

> I used to subscribe to both. I think I remember LJ saying they
> would never accept MS adverts. When LM first started accepting
> the MS ads I emailed the editor. The reply politely said *
> you. Before my subsciption to LM expired it just got thinner
> and thinner.

> Linux Format sounds like a good magazine but it costs just far
> too much IMHO.

Linux Format *is* a good magazine. I almost always get it. And I
will fork out the extra for the DVD version.

One caveat - and one which applies to almost every magazine
article I have ever read on any subject - they're good for
getting you interested and giving a taste but they're not always
accurate enough to work from. For example, they did a bit about
cdrecord just after I'd "mastered" it. The stuff they left out
was just as important as the stuff they included.

--
Ian

An onion a day keeps your friends away.

1. Linux Journal/Free Software Journal?

I got my first issue of Linux Journal today, issue 2.  Quite nice, though
I am looking forward to seeing how it changes in issue 3.

One thing I wonder is whether a more broadly based journal might make
more sense.  Call it the Free Software Journal, or the Free Unix Journal
or something.  I'd be interested in reading more than just about Linux,
though that is definitely the focus of my interest.  I'd appreciate
hearing about the latest in BSD, GNU, and so forth.

Is there already a publication that caters to such an audience?

How do other people feel about this?

RNA

2. Linux recommended as file server for WinNT clients

3. Journal Review - Linux Journal

4. **Error** could not allocate 10 bytes

5. Comp.os.linux.* listed in Linux Journal?

6. how to setup linux...

7. PC-PLUS, Linux CDROM, Linux journal, suggestion for publishers

8. Who has rlp under OS 5.0.4 installed ?

9. Linux Journal -- a Magazine on Linux

10. Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

11. Linux Journal/Linux Quarterly: Joint Announcement

12. Linux Press & Linux Journal Good News

13. Linux Journal/Linux Quarterly Joint Introduction