NT Advocacy Group Members Support Linux Too :)

NT Advocacy Group Members Support Linux Too :)

Post by Jim Lasco » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 04:59:38

Quote:> If you are a software developer as you claim to be. The money to gain from
> Linux is enormous, just in "support".
> Now how about R/D where the serious stuff kicks in?!?

> I'm a sys engineer and Linux being a Unix clone is taking over due to its
> networking potential, security, stability and processing power, unlike Win.

> Let the kids have Win for their games.

I've been a software developer for a long time, at one point the holy
grail
of good
software developers was to write high quality code with easy intuitive
interfaces
that did not need support.  It is ironic that Linux forces a business
model
that
says if you do your job well you will not get paid, only those who
produce
hard
to use and buggy software win from support.

Don Burn

Now at least the Truth is starting to emerge
Hey Wjbell hows your Broken/damages/destroyed/burned out/laptop story
coming????? Get it straightened out yet?

Jim

Post by Jason Ear » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:00:29

> > If you are a software developer as you claim to be. The money to gain from
> > Linux is enormous, just in "support".
> > Now how about R/D where the serious stuff kicks in?!?

> > I'm a sys engineer and Linux being a Unix clone is taking over due to its
> > networking potential, security, stability and processing power, unlike Win.

> > Let the kids have Win for their games.

> I've been a software developer for a long time, at one point the
> holy grail of good software developers was to write high quality
> code with easy intuitive interfaces that did not need support.  It
> is ironic that Linux forces a business model that says if you do
> your job well you will not get paid, only those who produce hard to
> use and buggy software win from support.

Every piece of software needs support of some kind.  Even intuitive
programs often require training (just because you have accounting
software doesn't mean you are an accountant), and there will always be
a market for custom modifications.  In fact, only the very best Free
Software is likely to have enough of a following to generate the kind
of demand for support that will actually support the developers.  Poor
software will simply be discarded out of hand.

Now, some simple desktop-style applications probably don't need too
much in the way of support.  A SQL database, on the other hand, almost
certainly has enough parameters that can be tuned that support becomes
important.  In today's world even simple applications sometimes can
connect to complex back-end software.  That sort of application
requires support.

Quote:> Don Burn

> Now at least the Truth is starting to emerge
> Hey Wjbell hows your Broken/damages/destroyed/burned out/laptop story
> coming????? Get it straightened out yet?

> Jim

Last I heard wjbell was blaming Linux and hdparm for global warming.

Jason

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:42:04

> > > If you are a software developer as you claim to be. The money to gain from
> > > Linux is enormous, just in "support".
> > > Now how about R/D where the serious stuff kicks in?!?

> > > I'm a sys engineer and Linux being a Unix clone is taking over due to its
> > > networking potential, security, stability and processing power, unlike Win.

> > > Let the kids have Win for their games.

> > I've been a software developer for a long time, at one point the
> > holy grail of good software developers was to write high quality
> > code with easy intuitive interfaces that did not need support.  It
> > is ironic that Linux forces a business model that says if you do
> > your job well you will not get paid, only those who produce hard to
> > use and buggy software win from support.

> Every piece of software needs support of some kind.  Even intuitive
> programs often require training (just because you have accounting
> software doesn't mean you are an accountant), and there will always be
> a market for custom modifications.  In fact, only the very best Free
> Software is likely to have enough of a following to generate the kind
> of demand for support that will actually support the developers.  Poor
> software will simply be discarded out of hand.

> Now, some simple desktop-style applications probably don't need too
> much in the way of support.  A SQL database, on the other hand, almost
> certainly has enough parameters that can be tuned that support becomes
> important.  In today's world even simple applications sometimes can
> connect to complex back-end software.  That sort of application
> requires support.

> > Don Burn

> > Now at least the Truth is starting to emerge
> > Hey Wjbell hows your Broken/damages/destroyed/burned out/laptop story
> > coming????? Get it straightened out yet?

> > Jim

> Last I heard wjbell was blaming Linux and hdparm for global warming.

> Jason

LOL!!!
I'd say it was the heat coming from under his collar.

Post by Kenneth Down » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 05:44:46

>> If you are a software developer as you claim to be. The money to gain
>> from Linux is enormous, just in "support".
>> Now how about R/D where the serious stuff kicks in?!?

>> I'm a sys engineer and Linux being a Unix clone is taking over due to its
>> networking potential, security, stability and processing power, unlike
>> Win.

>> Let the kids have Win for their games.

> I've been a software developer for a long time, at one point the holy
> grail
> of good
> software developers was to write high quality code with easy intuitive
> interfaces
> that did not need support.  It is ironic that Linux forces a business
> model
> that
> says if you do your job well you will not get paid, only those who
> produce
> hard
> to use and buggy software win from support.

> Don Burn

Well, the folks who sign my checks always want me to write more.  Good
software (among other things) makes a company more profitable, leading to
more ambitious plans, more systems needs...

Quote:

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

1. Thanks to members of the group NT Admin has seen the Sun Light

Just a brief thank you to the members of the group who so graciously shared
their expertise that allowed me to set up my Solaris box. I  would have
pounded this thing into the floor and bad mouthed Solaris for years had it
not been for the assistance of several contributors. Last night I installed
Xwindows on my NT station and I was floored it was as close to a religious
experience as I will probably ever have. Got a lot to learn, but I hope that
I will be able to share my wisdom when I attain some.

Chris Clanton

2. twm docs?

3. Checkout NT UseNet Group BASHING Linux -Support LINUX PLEASE

4. Strange Ethernet Behaviour (WD 8003)

5. IP Routing Problems!!!!!

6. permissions & group members of groups with Sol 2.6

7. Simple question on Linuxppc

8. adding group members to group.org_dir

9. Sendmail and expanding to members of Linux groups

10. Leafnode placeholder for group comp.os.linux.advocacy

11. seeking a MODERATED linux advocacy group

12. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT