Listen up people!!!...

Post by Stephen S Edwards » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: The reference to QDOS is incorrect. There is a seperate company that
: made a DOS utility which holds a trademark on the name QDOS and I'm
: sure Bill Gates would have had his laywers pounce on them if he had
: previously used the name (and he would have been totally justified).

I said that DOS was modelled 'after' QDOS, not the other way around.
--
** ---------------------------------------------------------------**

**         3-D animator/designer, and student of Hwarang Do       **
** ---------------------------------------------------------------**

Listen up people!!!...

Post by Erik Blomqui » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:

:
:
: >>DOS was originally QDOS, an OS written by someone other than Bill Gates.
: >>QDOS stood for Quick and Dirty Operating System.  Mr. Gates soon adapted
: >>this OS into his own scheme and came up with DOS.  DOS is today, what it
: >>was then... a quick and dirty OS, and does very well IMHO.
:
: >QDOS?  I learn something new every day.  I thought the basic design
: >was from CP/M (which came from RT-11).
:
: >I'll give Bill Gates credit for lots of stuff...but I really don't
: >like the design of DOS.
:
: The reference to QDOS is incorrect. There is a seperate company that
: made a DOS utility which holds a trademark on the name QDOS and I'm
: sure Bill Gates would have had his laywers pounce on them if he had
: previously used the name (and he would have been totally justified).
: If I remember corretly (and I don't have my books readliy available at
: the moment so if somebody else wants to jump in here and
: verify/correct this...) Gates started with a base product rooted in
: CP/M from Seattle Computer Products.

DOS, as Microsoft bought it, was originally created by Tim Patterson of
Seattle Computer Products, and it was originally called QDOS (Yes - for
"Quick and Dirty Operating System").  But it was renamed SCP-DOS, and then
86-DOS, before SCP sold it to Gates. People tend to remember QDOS because
it seems the most appropriate.

CP/M, on the other hand, a product of Gary Kildall's Digital Research, was
an 8-bit operating system for Intel 8080 and Zilog Z-80 based systems.  It
was not ported to x86 until some time after DOS was released.  But
QDOS/SCP-DOS/86-DOS (a 16-bit OS) was designed to be very much like CP/M
to simplify porting of CP/M applications to DOS.

Hope this clears some things up.

-Erik

1. Listen up people!!!...

[deletion]

: A combination of the 2 is ideal.  Did you know Linux lets you have 6 (or more?)
: full screen terminal sessions (that may or may not be running a full screen
: graphical program like a Mac or Win emulator), and 1 (or more?) X-window
: session(s?) running at the same time?  Plus, you can of course run X-terms in
: the X session.  Plus, poeple can be running X and terminal sessions from other
: computers.  What's my point?  Maybe that, as far as the whole interface thing
: goes, Linux is the most flexible thing I've ever seen.

You have just described most of the Unices out there, including FreeBSD, the
other main PC Unix.

--
John Goerzen  Custom programming   | Freedom..liberty..justice..democracy|
                                   | ..limits on free spech on the Net...|

2. drivers for Linksys LNE100TX 10/100 card?

3. make cannot find Makefile

4. CLI v GUI (a g a i n) was: Listen up people!!!...

5. Debian: Tips on why libforms.a won't link?

6. Listen, people!

7. Simple(?) script to dial a modem

8. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

9. listening to a UPS, and shutting down a network

10. Anti-Microsoft people whining WAS Re: Audiogalaxy or Kazzaaaaa causes pop-ups?

11. apache listen to port 80, another standalone apache+modssl listen port 443, not working..?!

12. Listen and 're-listen' ?