Official : Microsoft 96% of desktop market compared with Linux's 1.5%

Post by Todd Relye » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 21:08:25

> http://www.idg.net 31/08/2001

> Al Gillen, an analyst with IDC

> "Gillen says the one area where Linux won't challenge Windows is on
> the desktop, where Microsoft owns slightly more than 96% of the market
> compared with Linux's paltry 1.5%, according to figures from a report
> soon to be released by IDC detailing Year 2000 market share for
> servers and clients. "

> CM

I would say that there is almost no way that the number of linux destops
can be calculated.  For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.  For
linux, you can try counting downloads, but that won't be accurate.   I've
installed my last Mandrake download on three PCs, how were those systems
counted?

In the end, these kind of numbers are meaningless.....I have a PC running a
great operating system, and I'm going to continue to use it.....

Aparently people like CM have some sort of peer pressure problems, where
they feel that they have to use/do/wear whatever everyone else is.....very
sad.

Todd

Official : Microsoft 96% of desktop market compared with Linux's 1.5%

Post by Collie Entragio » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:55:15

Quote:>For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.

That doesn't account for people who download Windows either. Legal or
not, it's market share and it happens A LOT.

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Post by Collie Entragio » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:55:32

>On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 20:35:55 +1000, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>http://www.idg.net 31/08/2001

>>Al Gillen, an analyst with IDC

>>"Gillen says the one area where Linux won't challenge Windows is on
>>the desktop, where Microsoft owns slightly more than 96% of the market
>>compared with Linux's paltry 1.5%, according to figures from a report
>>soon to be released by IDC detailing Year 2000 market share for
>>servers and clients. "

>IDC? Who are they? And where did they get their figures from?

You don't know who IDC is?

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Official : Microsoft 96% of desktop market compared with Linux's 1.5%

Post by Linux Ma » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:37:44

Hmmm, the last numbers I saw had Linux at less than one percent of the
desktop market.That was about a year ago. Now, its at one point five
percent. That is healthy growth. Also, real world situations are being
reported in the press (see prior posts on Largo) that show Linux DOES work
as a desktop at a SUBSTANTIAL lower cost (TCO) than MS. Never mind the Huge
progress in making 'desktop quality' GUI's over the past year. Another year
of progress like this and a year of Technology managers trying to explain
the new costs associated with yet another MS upgrade and Linux will start
showing massive gains in the desktop. CFO's will start asking: didn't we
just upgrade to 2000? Why do we need to retrain everyone every 2 years each
time a new MS OS comes out? Why do we need to worry about activation when
there are viable OS's without it? Why do we need to spend so much money on
tracking and negotiating licenses when a viable OS Like Linux requires NON
of this? Why do we need such an EXPENSIVE OS in the first place when places
like Largo are using Linux with incredible cost savings?"

Post by Linux Ma » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:49:46

>>For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.

> That doesn't account for people who download Windows either. Legal or
> not, it's market share and it happens A LOT.

Not after activation starts! Most of those people illegally using MS will
become legal users of Linux! The move to Linux is on and MS is helping!
Quote:

Post by Peter K?hlman » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:26:17

> Hmmm, the last numbers I saw had Linux at less than one percent of the
> desktop market.That was about a year ago. Now, its at one point five
> percent. That is healthy growth. Also, real world situations are being

It always depends on *where* you get the numbers. In Germany for example
the percentage of Linux on the desktop is quite higher and currently
estimated be be around 8%.
But here also it is very difficult to get real numbers.

Peter
--
Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.

Official : Microsoft 96% of desktop market compared with Linux's 1.5%

Post by Nigel Feltha » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 08:49:28

Quote:> I would say that there is almost no way that the number of linux destops
> can be calculated.  For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.  For
> linux, you can try counting downloads, but that won't be accurate.   I've
> installed my last Mandrake download on three PCs, how were those systems
> counted?

Counting sales or downloads (or even both) could never work for Linux - who
asked you or me if the copy of mandrake they just downloaded is being
installed on your desktop machine or on your server ( or even 10 servers
and 150 desktops).

Any Figures that state that Linux Server use is 27% and destop use is 1.5%
when both types of machine were installed from the same CD cannot be
anything other than bullshit. There are no Separate server and desktop
distributions from most companies ( Caldera is the only one I can think of
that separates them - nothing to stop users installing wrong version
though) so how do you separate server and desktop market share?

Post by Linux Ma » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 21:27:22

>> Hmmm, the last numbers I saw had Linux at less than one percent of the
>> desktop market.That was about a year ago. Now, its at one point five
>> percent. That is healthy growth. Also, real world situations are being

> It always depends on *where* you get the numbers. In Germany for example
> the percentage of Linux on the desktop is quite higher and currently
> estimated be be around 8%.
> But here also it is very difficult to get real numbers.

> Peter

I know, I was using the most conservative numbers I have seen. I'm sure
that the US will be one of the last strong holds for MS. I would not be
surprised to see another "buy American (using the ego egocentric US
definition of the word)" campain in the US to bolster MS as the rest of the
world switches to Linux. We'll be stuck with stuck with an outdated system
of measures *and* Microsoft. Buck.

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 04:13:08

> >For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.

> That doesn't account for people who download Windows either. Legal or
> not, it's market share and it happens A LOT.

>  Check out our new Unlimited Server. No Download or Time Limits!
> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Oh gee,... do you happen to have the website where I can download
Win98se??

Post by Michael Veste » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 04:18:52

> >>For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.

> > That doesn't account for people who download Windows either. Legal or
> > not, it's market share and it happens A LOT.

> Not after activation starts! Most of those people illegally using MS will
> become legal users of Linux! The move to Linux is on and MS is helping!

<snip sig>

Hence my advocacy for Microsoft making a bank account or credit card
number mandatory for activation.

--
Since the last power outage
  1:16pm  up 14 days,  2:25,  1 user,  load average: 1.05, 1.02, 1.00

Official : Microsoft 96% of desktop market compared with Linux's 1.5%

Post by Nigel Feltha » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:06:03

Quote:> surprised to see another "buy American (using the ego egocentric US
> definition of the word)" campain in the US to bolster MS as the rest of

Easy to solve - buy a US based distro. Linux is the only OS where each
country can have it's own distro if it wants - of course you are not
allowed to stop a rival's country's distro from being sold in your country.
If you think about it this is already happening - France has Mandrake,
China has Red-Flag, Germany has SUSE, England has (or at least had)
definitive, etc.

Post by blah » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 08:43:59

> http://www.idg.net 31/08/2001
> Al Gillen, an analyst with IDC
> "Gillen says the one area where Linux won't challenge Windows is on
> the desktop, where Microsoft owns slightly more than 96% of the market
> compared with Linux's paltry 1.5%, according to figures from a report
> soon to be released by IDC detailing Year 2000 market share for
> servers and clients. "

I currently have five operable machines on my home LAN.  Two run OpenBSD,
one runs FreeBSD, and two run Linux.  Note that none of them is
running Microsoft,  yet I will have been counted several times as a retail
Microsoft OS purchaser, since I have purchased 95 (upgrade), 98 (full),
NT 4 Workstation (full), NT 4 Server (full), and Win 2K Pro (upgrade),
in addition to two separate OEM Win 3.1 and one 98SE OEM purchases.
Those were all cash sales, and I never registered any of them, so as
far as they know it was so many different users.

Note to Microsoft:  I have bought a lot of software from you, including
several versions of Office and Visual C++, primarily because I like
to keep a well-rounded knowledge base, but I will not be buying Win XP
or any other product which has mandatory activation/registration.
Further note that while your monopoly power goes a long way toward
maintaining your user base, people like me (the geeks that all the
masses of drones come to for help) exert a lot of influence on a one-to-
one basis.  For instance, this weekend I will spend holding the hand
of one clueless soul as he makes the transition from Windows to Linux.
He has practically *begged* me to help him get out of Windoze hell, and
I am very happy to oblige, since it means that in the future, when he
calls me with some problem, I will not loathe having to help him.

Post by Rick » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 10:45:51

> >For an OS like MS, they just have to count sales.

> That doesn't account for people who download Windows either. Legal or
> not, it's market share and it happens A LOT.

Just how do you download and install window$?

--
Rick

Official : Microsoft 96% of desktop market compared with Linux's 1.5%

Post by webgia » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 13:56:08

Quote:>Hmmm, the last numbers I saw had Linux at less than one percent of the
>desktop market.That was about a year ago. Now, its at one point five
>percent. That is healthy growth. Also, real world situations are being
>reported in the press (see prior posts on Largo) that show Linux DOES work
>as a desktop at a SUBSTANTIAL lower cost (TCO) than MS. Never mind the Huge
>progress in making 'desktop quality' GUI's over the past year. Another year
>of progress like this and a year of Technology managers trying to explain
>the new costs associated with yet another MS upgrade and Linux will start
>showing massive gains in the desktop. CFO's will start asking: didn't we
>just upgrade to 2000? Why do we need to retrain everyone every 2 years each
>time a new MS OS comes out? Why do we need to worry about activation when
>there are viable OS's without it? Why do we need to spend so much money on
>tracking and negotiating licenses when a viable OS Like Linux requires NON
>of this? Why do we need such an EXPENSIVE OS in the first place when places
>like Largo are using Linux with incredible cost savings?"

Whatever happened to the rumor flying around that RedHat, Mandrake,
and Caldera were going to get rid of this distinction between Linux &
M$ products and start instituting per-CPU licensing?

Post by Rick » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 21:14:33

> >Hmmm, the last numbers I saw had Linux at less than one percent of the
> >desktop market.That was about a year ago. Now, its at one point five
> >percent. That is healthy growth. Also, real world situations are being
> >reported in the press (see prior posts on Largo) that show Linux DOES work
> >as a desktop at a SUBSTANTIAL lower cost (TCO) than MS. Never mind the Huge
> >progress in making 'desktop quality' GUI's over the past year. Another year
> >of progress like this and a year of Technology managers trying to explain
> >the new costs associated with yet another MS upgrade and Linux will start
> >showing massive gains in the desktop. CFO's will start asking: didn't we
> >just upgrade to 2000? Why do we need to retrain everyone every 2 years each
> >time a new MS OS comes out? Why do we need to worry about activation when
> >there are viable OS's without it? Why do we need to spend so much money on
> >tracking and negotiating licenses when a viable OS Like Linux requires NON
> >of this? Why do we need such an EXPENSIVE OS in the first place when places
> >like Largo are using Linux with incredible cost savings?"

> Whatever happened to the rumor flying around that RedHat, Mandrake,
> and Caldera were going to get rid of this distinction between Linux &
> M$ products and start instituting per-CPU licensing?

IIRC Chaldera has instituted 'per-seat" licensing becasue of the
proprietary additives in its distribution. IMHO, this is a very
dangerous precedent.
--
Rick