I can't use windows, and that's all right

I can't use windows, and that's all right

Post by Brian Denhey » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I just had to put in my $.02 in on the windows subject.  We are using
winblows for workgroups at work and in the last three days the
keyboard has frozen a total of 6 times (but the mouse works !).

When at home there is no way I can run windows for longer than 1-2
hours with the thing locking up such that it needs the big red button.

So I use Linux because I like it first, but most importantly because I
can run it for hours at a time and I don't have to hit the resest
button (and it's been that good since 1.1.54 when I started using it).

It's so frustrating to be saving things all the time under emacs
because I'm so use to dos/windoze* that I'm afraid I'll lose my
work.  It took me 6 mos for me to relax enough and let auto-save do
the work (not that I ever needed it).

So I'm out here advocating Linux.
I don't see how anybody gets anything done with windows.

Brian Denheyer          #include <disclaimers.h>
Maxtek Corp.

Post by Anthony D. Tribel » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: ... We are using
: winblows for workgroups at work and in the last three days the
: keyboard has frozen a total of 6 times (but the mouse works !) ...
: ... at home there is no way I can run windows for longer than 1-2
: hours with the thing locking up ...
: I don't see how anybody gets anything done with windows.

Assuming working hardware and well-behaved modern drivers/applications
(OK, this may be a big assumption): most windows systems have been
configured by competent individuals. It really helps, try it sometime ;-).

Tony
--
------------------
Tony Tribelli

1. Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the...

hello

i have a servlet that should upload a gif image from that user give
and then
do a number of transformation on it ( decode it, crop it and then
transform it in the OTA
format the be send at the end as an SMS trough a gateway)

the following is the part of my servlet which deal with imgaging:

        Image awtImage = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage(
dirName+filename);
        RenderedOp image = JAI.create("awtimage", awtImage);
        image=recadreImage(0,6,72,14,image);
        BufferedImage imagebuffe= image.getAsBufferedImage();
        otatransform(filename,imagebuffe);
that is all.

it works on my local machine (WinXP)
but when i try to run it on a linux server mandrake (with apache)
it fails.

knowing that in the first execution i have the following error

"Can`t connect to X11 window server using `:0.0` as the value of the
DISPLAY variable."

And after i always still have the following error:

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/awt/motif/MToolkit
        at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java:
320)
        at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java:188)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)"

i think that this problem occurs in my servlet when executing this
instruction:

Image awtImage = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage (...)

the Xserver is already activated on my linux server
the enviroment variable DISPLAY has the value:

DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

(notice i try  DISPLAY=:0.0 and DISPLAY=131.107.0.40:0.0 and
DISPLAY=:0

but i have also exactly the same errors)
i had execute "xhost +localhost" to allow my machine(which is the
linux server)
to access the Xserver
knowing that i run my servlet on the same machine

do you have any idea?

thanks

hajar

2. Does a Non-PAM glibc2/shadow login(1) exist?

3. Can't connect to X11 window server using 'machinename:0.0'

4. video playback improvement question

5. Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the

6. Arrgh! Can't turn off firewall

7. 'w' & 'who' doesnt display the right thing!

8. CUPS ... PID xxx stopped with status 13!

9. Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. Good uses for the 'Window keys' on keyboard?

12. using the 'join' or 'sort' command...