What Linux needs to gain popularity... ANSWERED!

What Linux needs to gain popularity... ANSWERED!

Post by Anthony D. Tribel » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: ...to be purchased by Microsoft!

Of course it will be renamed XENIX 95.

Tony
--
------------------
Tony Tribelli

Post by Jim William » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>> ...to be purchased by Microsoft!
>Of course it will be renamed XENIX 95.

Don't think the GNU licence says anything about that, just those
little bits about providing the source code and what-not. :)

Hey Microsoft!  We've got a nice OS for you real cheap that knocks the
socks off everything else your selling.  :)

--
Jim Williams.

Find a Linux User Group near you:
http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/

Buy Linux brand UNIX!

Post by Terje A. Berges » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> ...to be purchased by Microsoft!

Sure - we all know how great MS is at doing UNIX. Or maybe
you are too youg to remember XENIX?

Terje Bergesen - Bergesen Data

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> >> ...to be purchased by Microsoft!
> >Of course it will be renamed XENIX 95.
> Don't think the GNU licence says anything about that, just those
> little bits about providing the source code and what-not. :)
> Hey Microsoft!  We've got a nice OS for you real cheap that knocks the
> socks off everything else your selling.  :)

Hey, why not?

Seriously, though.  As long as MS respects the GPL, this will allow them to
sell gazillion copies of their Linux distribution, since the mass public
respect the MS name so much.  Think about it.  Of course, if they are going
to stay in business with the product, they'll have to put in their own
proprietary binaries ...

Quote:> --
> Jim Williams.
> Find a Linux User Group near you:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/
> Buy Linux brand UNIX!

--Arthur Jerijian

Post by Paul Sext » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> > >Of course it will be renamed XENIX 95.

> Hey, why not?

> Seriously, though.  As long as MS respects the GPL, this will allow them to
> sell gazillion copies of their Linux distribution, since the mass public
> respect the MS name so much.  Think about it.  Of course, if they are going
> to stay in business with the product, they'll have to put in their own
> proprietary binaries ...

   They'd have to promise never to "upgrade" it.  Otherwise they'd sell a
Linux 99 written by high school kids in interpreted BASIC and everybody
would have to port to it or go out of business. ( Or write a new Linux
from scratch, and start out from the beginning all over again).

--
No animals were injured and no Microsoft products were used in the production of this message.

Post by Jim William » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>> Hey Microsoft!  We've got a nice OS for you real cheap that knocks the
>> socks off everything else your selling.  :)

>Hey, why not?

Well, I was at least halfway serious...  but you have given me reason to doubt.

Quote:

>Seriously, though.  As long as MS respects the GPL, this will allow them to
>sell gazillion copies of their Linux distribution, since the mass public
>respect the MS name so much.  Think about it.  Of course, if they are going
>to stay in business with the product, they'll have to put in their own
>proprietary binaries ...

I guess that indicates that if they do sell Linux then we are going to have to keep
a very close eye on them.......

--
Sphere.

Find a Linux/GNU Group for you: http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/

Buy Linux brand UNIX!

Post by John 'Vlad' Ada » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Sure - we all know how great MS is at doing UNIX. Or maybe
: you are too youg to remember XENIX?

Sure, I remember it.  Ran damn well on a Tandy 16 with the MC68000 cpu.

--

my opinions are my own - others wisely adopt them  :)
want to know more?  http://castaway.cc.uwf.edu/~jadams