So, how DO you edit menus in RH 8?

Post by Tim Smit » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:33:00

A while back, one of the trolls was *ing about the menus in Redhat 8's
version of Gnome are not editiable.  The troll was generally told that he
was an idiot, and that if he just looked around, he'd figure it out.  The
people who said they knew how to do it didn't want to tell the troll.

Well, I've looked around, and I haven't figured it out yet.  I seem to
recall that there was a menu editor on earlier versions, but it seems to be
missing on RH 8.

I looked for text configuration files in .gnome and .gnome2, and found
nothing obvious.

I even grepped in every file on my system for the names of some of the items
on the hat menu (the menu that has the Gnome footprint on non-Bluecurve
versions, for those wondering what the hat menu is), figuring I'd find the
text configuration files that way.  Nope.

So...where the devil is this information stored, and what is the usual way
to edit it?

--
Evidence Eliminator is worthless: "www.evidence-eliminator-sucks.com"
--Tim Smith

So, how DO you edit menus in RH 8?

Post by rapska » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:18:30

begin  Error log for Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:33:00 -0600: segfault in module
Tim Smith, dump details are as follows...

Quote:> So...where the devil is this information stored, and what is the usual
> way to edit it?

I don't use Redhat anymore, so I am not certain whether this is accurate
or not, but it seemed to be the most definitive guide I could find with a
google search...

http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

HTH

--
no sig

Post by Mart van de Weg » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:30:02

> A while back, one of the trolls was *ing about the menus in Redhat 8's
> version of Gnome are not editiable.  The troll was generally told that he
> was an idiot, and that if he just looked around, he'd figure it out.  The
> people who said they knew how to do it didn't want to tell the troll.

> Well, I've looked around, and I haven't figured it out yet.  I seem to
> recall that there was a menu editor on earlier versions, but it seems to be
> missing on RH 8.

> I looked for text configuration files in .gnome and .gnome2, and found
> nothing obvious.

> I even grepped in every file on my system for the names of some of the items
> on the hat menu (the menu that has the Gnome footprint on non-Bluecurve
> versions, for those wondering what the hat menu is), figuring I'd find the
> text configuration files that way.  Nope.

> So...where the devil is this information stored, and what is the usual way
> to edit it?

1. Open Nautilus
2. enter applications:// in the location bar
3. Drag and drop the entries where you want them

Not obvious, I admit. I only just found this out last week, but it
works. I need to restart the panel to make the changes take effect,
but that might be my Debian configuration.

If Red Hat does not update automatically either, just open a terminal
when you're done and type 'killall -HUP gnome-panel'. Otherwise you
would only see your changes upon next login.

Mart

--
"It is not funny that a man should be killed,
but it is sometimes funny that he should be killed for so little,

Post by kd5ob » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:01:11

> A while back, one of the trolls was *ing about the menus in Redhat 8's
> version of Gnome are not editiable.  The troll was generally told that he
> was an idiot, and that if he just looked around, he'd figure it out.  The
> people who said they knew how to do it didn't want to tell the troll.

> Well, I've looked around, and I haven't figured it out yet.  I seem to
> recall that there was a menu editor on earlier versions, but it seems to be
> missing on RH 8.

> I looked for text configuration files in .gnome and .gnome2, and found
> nothing obvious.

> I even grepped in every file on my system for the names of some of the items
> on the hat menu (the menu that has the Gnome footprint on non-Bluecurve
> versions, for those wondering what the hat menu is), figuring I'd find the
> text configuration files that way.  Nope.

> So...where the devil is this information stored, and what is the usual way
> to edit it?

They set up the menus in RedHat to match the idea in Debians.

When an RPM is installed, the menu item appears in the place they want
it to be.

There is no {maintenance} involved or necessary.

Further, if you pick up something off the street such as Sun's JAVA IDE
and decide you need a menu option for that, just create a desktop
shortcut and move it off to either a folder or a chestbox you can create
on your menu bar.  Use the Chestbox as if it were you own private
software items menu to maintain.

This is for both Debian and RedHat.  That's the way this works.

Now, if you absolutely MUST edit the MENU's, you can run into the /etc
directory and find them and do so.  On Debian you will be accomodated
come the next .deb you install which updates that same menu.  On RedHat,
I have no experience so could not say whether RPM would tolerate your
change or not.  Hopefully so.

Desktop items and chestbox's are really the best way to go for non-stock
menu items.  I have several folders for my documents on my desktop and
use chestbox's to store goodies I've picked up which are non-debian in
nature which I use here.

--
Even before 9-11 happened, we had this.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Charlie

Post by kd5ob » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:01:20

>> A while back, one of the trolls was *ing about the menus in Redhat 8's
>> version of Gnome are not editiable.  The troll was generally told that he
>> was an idiot, and that if he just looked around, he'd figure it out.  The
>> people who said they knew how to do it didn't want to tell the troll.

>> Well, I've looked around, and I haven't figured it out yet.  I seem to
>> recall that there was a menu editor on earlier versions, but it seems to be
>> missing on RH 8.

>> I looked for text configuration files in .gnome and .gnome2, and found
>> nothing obvious.

>> I even grepped in every file on my system for the names of some of the items
>> on the hat menu (the menu that has the Gnome footprint on non-Bluecurve
>> versions, for those wondering what the hat menu is), figuring I'd find the
>> text configuration files that way.  Nope.

>> So...where the devil is this information stored, and what is the usual way
>> to edit it?

> 1. Open Nautilus
> 2. enter applications:// in the location bar
> 3. Drag and drop the entries where you want them

> Not obvious, I admit. I only just found this out last week, but it
> works. I need to restart the panel to make the changes take effect,
> but that might be my Debian configuration.

> If Red Hat does not update automatically either, just open a terminal
> when you're done and type 'killall -HUP gnome-panel'. Otherwise you
> would only see your changes upon next login.

> Mart

Interesting.  I'm going to try that.

How about KDE3?

--

Post by Rich Bel » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:56:18

> When an RPM is installed, the menu item appears in the place they want
> it to be.

> There is no {maintenance} involved or necessary.

This is flexibility and customizable? If it can't do it, it isn't necessary.
That is a familiar Linonut viewpoint.

Quote:

> Further, if you pick up something off the street such as Sun's JAVA
> IDE
> and decide you need a menu option for that, just create a desktop
> shortcut and move it off to either a folder or a chestbox you can
> create
> on your menu bar.  Use the Chestbox as if it were you own private
> software items menu to maintain.

> This is for both Debian and RedHat.  That's the way this works.

> Now, if you absolutely MUST edit the MENU's, you can run into the /etc
> directory and find them and do so.  On Debian you will be accomodated
> come the next .deb you install which updates that same menu.  On
> RedHat,
> I have no experience so could not say whether RPM would tolerate your
> change or not.  Hopefully so.

> Desktop items and chestbox's are really the best way to go for
> non-stock
> menu items.

Who wants to have their desktop and menubar cluttered with a bunch of crap?

So, how DO you edit menus in RH 8?

Post by Nobod » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:37:11

Right click on the "K Gear" button ie Start button.  Select "Menu Editor".

Am I missing something ?  It sure seems to edit the menu ?

Nobody

Post by Rich Bel » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:14:12

> Right click on the "K Gear" button ie Start button.  Select "Menu
> Editor".

> Am I missing something ?  It sure seems to edit the menu ?

Yes, he was talking about Gnome.

Post by kd5ob » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:02:02

>> When an RPM is installed, the menu item appears in the place they want
>> it to be.

>> There is no {maintenance} involved or necessary.

> This is flexibility and customizable? If it can't do it, it isn't necessary.
> That is a familiar Linonut viewpoint.

If you don't install it, then you don't get the menu.

Why install an application then not have a menu to launch it?

I think your on your period again Bell, aren't you.

Quote:

>> Further, if you pick up something off the street such as Sun's JAVA
>> IDE
>> and decide you need a menu option for that, just create a desktop
>> shortcut and move it off to either a folder or a chestbox you can
>> create
>> on your menu bar.  Use the Chestbox as if it were you own private
>> software items menu to maintain.

>> This is for both Debian and RedHat.  That's the way this works.

>> Now, if you absolutely MUST edit the MENU's, you can run into the /etc
>> directory and find them and do so.  On Debian you will be accomodated
>> come the next .deb you install which updates that same menu.  On
>> RedHat,
>> I have no experience so could not say whether RPM would tolerate your
>> change or not.  Hopefully so.

>> Desktop items and chestbox's are really the best way to go for
>> non-stock
>> menu items.

> Who wants to have their desktop and menubar cluttered with a bunch of crap?

--
Even before 9-11 happened, we had this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/13/0249250&mode=thread&tid=172
By 2005, it will become clear that Linux will become a Globally dominate OS.
http://www.debianpals.org/charlieweb/Linux/intro.html

Charlie

Post by kd5ob » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:02:37

> Right click on the "K Gear" button ie Start button.  Select "Menu Editor".

> Am I missing something ?  It sure seems to edit the menu ?

> Nobody

If it edits the menu's in /etc you will need root access.

And it's been my experience that some of these menu editors make a copy
of what's in the /etc directory to your home directory so you have this
eternal catchup thing everytime you install a new app.

If you just use the debian way it works fine.

Otherwise, your editing your own menu's and I hope you enjoy doing
that, *ALL THE TIME*

--

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:23:57

>> Right click on the "K Gear" button ie Start button.  Select "Menu
>> Editor".

>> Am I missing something ?  It sure seems to edit the menu ?

> Yes, he was talking about Gnome.

Except when he (Charlie) asked about KDE.

--
"Hello, Microsoft Support. May I ask which version of CodeRed
you're running?"

So, how DO you edit menus in RH 8?

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:23:57

Quote:> A while back, one of the trolls was *ing about the menus in Redhat 8's
> version of Gnome are not editiable.  The troll was generally told that he
> was an idiot, and that if he just looked around, he'd figure it out.  The
> people who said they knew how to do it didn't want to tell the troll.

> Well, I've looked around, and I haven't figured it out yet.  I seem to
> recall that there was a menu editor on earlier versions, but it seems to be
> missing on RH 8.

> I looked for text configuration files in .gnome and .gnome2, and found
> nothing obvious.

> I even grepped in every file on my system for the names of some of the items
> on the hat menu (the menu that has the Gnome footprint on non-Bluecurve
> versions, for those wondering what the hat menu is), figuring I'd find the
> text configuration files that way.  Nope.

> So...where the devil is this information stored, and what is the usual way
> to edit it?

Open a terminal and type "gnome-help" or you can possibly get help via
the menu (I don't run gnome, but I have it installed). Choose "Core
Desktop", go to "Working With Menus" and do some reading. That's how i
found it even though I never needed it before.

It may seem at first that it isn't what you want. I thought that at
first, too. But a little reading later and I found that it tells how to
add and remove things from the various menus.

Then there's the Nautilus method. I can't explain it because I never
install it and can't even test it to see how it works. But I remember
there was a way of using it. That might be in the help files as well.

--
Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:24:12

>> When an RPM is installed, the menu item appears in the place they want
>> it to be.

>> There is no {maintenance} involved or necessary.

> This is flexibility and customizable? If it can't do it, it isn't necessary.
> That is a familiar Linonut viewpoint.

>> Further, if you pick up something off the street such as Sun's JAVA
>> IDE
>> and decide you need a menu option for that, just create a desktop
>> shortcut and move it off to either a folder or a chestbox you can
>> create
>> on your menu bar.  Use the Chestbox as if it were you own private
>> software items menu to maintain.

>> This is for both Debian and RedHat.  That's the way this works.

>> Now, if you absolutely MUST edit the MENU's, you can run into the /etc
>> directory and find them and do so.  On Debian you will be accomodated
>> come the next .deb you install which updates that same menu.  On
>> RedHat,
>> I have no experience so could not say whether RPM would tolerate your
>> change or not.  Hopefully so.

>> Desktop items and chestbox's are really the best way to go for
>> non-stock
>> menu items.

> Who wants to have their desktop and menubar cluttered with a bunch of crap?

Evidently, WinDOS users do. At least $MONOPOLY thinks so. Why else
would there be so much goofy-looking stuff in the menu in eX-Pee Pro
(ha, ha, that's one of those MICROS~1 funnies!) after adding in
Micro-Soft programs (all of the Word and eXPel and other junk from
Office, and all of those other useless "tools" scattered all over the
place, and all of the ol' standby stuff, like Notepad [prolly the only
item ever created by M$ that worked right off, which means it was
probably "innovated" away from somebody else] and all of that kind of
twiddle)?

--
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips"