But really ... what do you all DO with Linux?

But really ... what do you all DO with Linux?

Post by Doug Burket » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really
using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?

I ask because I'm curious to try it out one of these days, and I would like
to know where the value really is.

A lot of people seem *ly enamored with it (not a bad thing at all),
but why? What apps are you running? From lurking in this & other groups a
bit, I've got some idea, but I'd like to see a bunch of "I run xxxxx, I use
it every day, and it blows Windows yyyyy away!"

Well?

Thanks,

Doug

But really ... what do you all DO with Linux?

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Linux has proven a Godsend to me, as a computer programmer.

* I can do all the programming I want, for practically nothing
* I have a full-fledged Unix system to work with and learn on
* I have eye problems, so I'm really happy not to have to use a mouse

In general, though, I do pretty-much everything I've previously done on
Windows, excepting music composition and publishing.  I expect that to
change one of these days, though.

--
---Chuck Bermingham------

To respond directly:

Please remove the numbers from my address.

Quote:> Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really

Post by David M. Co » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really
>using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?

I use it for browsing the web, reading news, mail, chatting on IRC, creating
*and HTML documents, and learning computer programming.

Dave Cook

But really ... what do you all DO with Linux?

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Passing fad.  We "all" used WordPerfect 5 years ago.  What about 5 years
from now?

Which makes me wonder; when are people going to start lobbying for the end
to proprietary file formats for documents?  I'm getting damn sick of it.

--
---Chuck Bermingham------

To respond directly:

Please remove the numbers from my address.

Quote:> says...

> Just to dash a little cold water on the Linux/Unix camp:  did you know
that
> Hewlett-Packard uses MS Word for all their proposal/documentation work?

> Sell HP-UX with one hand, use MS Office/Win95/NT on the other.

> Go figure.
> --

---
Quote:> Jamie Schrumpf

http://www.access.digex.net/~moncomm
Quote:> "No physicist started out impatient with commensense notions, eager to
replace
> them with some mathematical abstraction... Instead, they began, as we all
do,
> with comfortable, standard, commonplace notions.  The trouble is that
Nature

Post by Christopher Qual » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

> Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really
> using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?

> I ask because I'm curious to try it out one of these days, and I would like
> to know where the value really is.

> A lot of people seem *ly enamored with it (not a bad thing at all),
> but why? What apps are you running? From lurking in this & other groups a
> bit, I've got some idea, but I'd like to see a bunch of "I run xxxxx, I use
> it every day, and it blows Windows yyyyy away!"

> Well?

> Thanks,

> Doug

Doug,

To do my research, I need an environment in which I can write/run C
programs,
do statistical analyses for my own projects, do document preparation
(LaTex/Lyx).
I also use Linux's relatively easy networking setup to link an old 486
as a
fileserver/backup and eventual IP masq host (when I get the time). All
the
programming facilities have been a godsend and I am able  to work
seamlessly
with UNIX (at the uni) and since some of my work is CPU/memory intensive
absolutely need to have a stable operating environment (NT and VC++
didn't quite
do the trick). Also, my other jobs use mostly MS products (Word, Excel)
and I
have found that using Star Office has been fine to fulfill those needs.
In
addition I use Linux for basic wordprocessing (letters, etc..) web
surfing...

The only areas that are lacking in Linux is that at times, I need to be
able
to run certain statistical software (SAS, S+) not currently available
for Linux
(although R is a S+ clone for Linux and runs most of my old S+ code :) )
and a couple of games, for which I keep 95 around.

Although I am close to cutting my ties with Windows, I still cannot get
rid
of it for the simple fact that not all software is available for Linux
(yet).

Hope this answers your question.

Chris

Post by Le » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really
>using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?

Programming, word processing, presentation creation, web/ftp serving,
email, NFS/AFS access, etc.  It has replaced Windows NT full time on
all my PC's at work and at home.

Some of the applications I use include Netscape, Citrix Winframe (for
Lotus Notes), all the GNU development tools (gcc, gdb, etc), DDD de*,
CMVC (revision management software), slrn, Apache web server (small
stuff, only a couple hundred hits per day).

--
Leo

Post by John Oliv » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

>Just to dash a little cold water on the Linux/Unix camp:  did you know that
>Hewlett-Packard uses MS Word for all their proposal/documentation work?

>Sell HP-UX with one hand, use MS Office/Win95/NT on the other.

So?  I'll bet Sun, DEC, Oracle, and any other outfit you can think of
use Windows/Office for their corporate desktops.  I kinda doubt Sun
puts Solaris/UltraSPARCs on their peoples' desks!

IMPORTANT! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If you wish to reply to me via email, watch out for
my spam-trap.  I can be reached at joliver at oliver
dot escondido dot ca dot us.  Sorry for the
inconvenience, but I hate spam...

On that note, if you hate spam too, join CAUCE!
www.cauce.org

Post by jed » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

>>Just to dash a little cold water on the Linux/Unix camp:  did you know that
>>Hewlett-Packard uses MS Word for all their proposal/documentation work?

>>Sell HP-UX with one hand, use MS Office/Win95/NT on the other.

>So?  I'll bet Sun, DEC, Oracle, and any other outfit you can think of
>use Windows/Office for their corporate desktops.  I kinda doubt Sun
>puts Solaris/UltraSPARCs on their peoples' desks!

        One never can tell. Sun's low end overlaps the PC highend.
        Given the choice between a new $2400 PC and a new $2400 Sun,
        I would take the sun myself...

Post by Tracy R Re » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

>use Windows/Office for their corporate desktops.  I kinda doubt Sun
>puts Solaris/UltraSPARCs on their peoples' desks!

Solaris wouldn't cost Sun a thing, and those new Darwin machines of theirs are
pretty cheap for them I bet. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Solaris/Sparc
was the standard desktop machine. I heard a rumor that Sun was going to be
bundling StarOffce with Solaris. Anyone know if this is true?

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
My karma ran over your dogma.

Post by NO_f93-eaa_S.. » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

>Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really
>using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?
>I ask because I'm curious to try it out one of these days, and I would like
>to know where the value really is.
>A lot of people seem *ly enamored with it (not a bad thing at all),
>but why? What apps are you running? From lurking in this & other groups a
>bit, I've got some idea, but I'd like to see a bunch of "I run xxxxx, I use
>it every day, and it blows Windows yyyyy away!"

I study a civile engineering program, engineering physics. I have chosen
to major in mathematics, and I also take several computer science courses.
I use Linux

- for writing math reports using Emacs and*

- for programming in Java, C and C++

- for math using mainly Maple, but I will also try Matlab on Linux

- Word Perfect for English essays e.t.c.

- tin as a newsreader

- wu-ftpd as an ftp server

- xcdroast for CD burning

Linux is great because it fast, for free and rock solid. It does
have a steeper learning curve than Windoze, but is much more fun
once you learn it.

--

Erik Alapaeae

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

> Just to dash a little cold water on the Linux/Unix camp:

just to spit it back in the face of the windows camp ...

Quote:> did you know that
> Hewlett-Packard uses MS Word for all their proposal/documentation work?

did you know that egg.microsoft.com runs Linux , and that hotmail.com
runs on Solaris 2.6 ?

Quote:> Sell HP-UX with one hand, use MS Office/Win95/NT on the other.

HP-UX is not designed for Office workers. Just like Windows NT isn't
designed for enterprise servers ...

Quote:> Go figure.

hmmmmmm...

But really ... what do you all DO with Linux?

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

> Linux has proven a Godsend to me, as a computer programmer.

> * I can do all the programming I want, for practically nothing
> * I have a full-fledged Unix system to work with and learn on
> * I have eye problems, so I'm really happy not to have to use a mouse

> In general, though, I do pretty-much everything I've previously done on
> Windows, excepting music composition and publishing.  I expect that to
> change one of these days, though.

When you get the time, check out Rosegarden. It's a midi sequencer (and
appears to be the best sequencer available). Grab timidity and the
timidity instruments while you're at it.
Can't remember the URL. Go from
http://independence.dunadan.com/bookmarks.html then go to the Sound page
. You'll find tons of music things here including Rosegarden. Also ,
we're working on building it and should have an RPM of it in our
repository soon.

-- DOnovan

^[Dd]ono(va[nN])? *[Rr]ebbechi *$
        \*\*\* (WW)?Web-(WW)?Weaver \\
Project Independence -- Linux for the Masses

Post by Yoo C. Chu » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

> Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all
> really using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?

Write documents (plain text, LaTeX, HTML, etc.), read mail and news,
play with various programming languages (Tcl, Scheme, ML, etc.),
organize personal info, blah blah blah ...

Really, everything I do with computers I do in Linux except for games.
Anyways, except for games, I always wonder what people use Windows for

Yoo C. Chung <http://laplace.snu.ac.kr/~wacko/>
School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University

Post by Dennis Iannicc » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

: Just to dash a little cold water on the Linux/Unix camp:  did you know that
: Hewlett-Packard uses MS Word for all their proposal/documentation work?

: Sell HP-UX with one hand, use MS Office/Win95/NT on the other.

        Wouldn't suprise me at all.. management makes those kinds of
stupid decisions.  The HP-UX using folks probably grudgingly load up
Wincenter Pro every month to type a report or something and then go back
to vi or emacs. ;-)

Blinky lights are the essence of  |  Caffeine underflow
modern technology!                |  (brain dumped)

Post by Ben Sandle » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

> Not a flame, not a troll, an honest question: For what are you all really
> using Linux? Quite specifically, if possible?

> I ask because I'm curious to try it out one of these days, and I would like
> to know where the value really is.

> A lot of people seem *ly enamored with it (not a bad thing at all),
> but why? What apps are you running? From lurking in this & other groups a
> bit, I've got some idea, but I'd like to see a bunch of "I run xxxxx, I use
> it every day, and it blows Windows yyyyy away!"

> Well?

> Thanks,

> Doug

Web browsing, news reading, C and PERL programming, web development,
learning SQL and ray tracing, hacking, NYT crossword puzzles, Mahjongg
(KDE), Word proceesing and spreadsheets (Applix), being mezmerized (SP?)
by bouboule, networking, doing things any internet-oriented person needs
to do (do I really want to have to telnet to do an nslookup?), watching
South Park (RealPlayer 5), web serving and IP forwarding, waking up in
the morning (at 7:30 wavplay reveile.wav), and lots more!

- Ben

Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. Internet Explorer Security Center

3. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

4. How to get the basename

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. help!! Uninstalling to re-install

7. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

8. setting up partitions for upgrading??

9. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

10. HELP - Linux on DOS-compatible Macintosh (DOS side)

11. SCSI-DAT s/w like tar for DOS to exchange files LINUX <--> DOS?

12. Linux really is easy if you have some clue what you are doing.

13. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade