Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Kevin M. Wilc » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:20:05

Went to Staples yesterday and bought my mother a copy of XP that she just
HAD to have.....so, I went up to her room yesterday evening and we
started installing it....while still reading the system info, a black
screen came up that lasted for 45 minutes, at which point I promptly
rebooted....and got the blue screen of death....rebooted again, black
screen....rebooted again, install came up and finished....booted machine,
black screen....rebooted, blue screen of death....booted AGAIN and blue
screen of death.  next boot worked, logged in on the box and had no mouse
support (on a ps/2 style mouse).  So I shutdown and checked the mouse
plug....it was a little loose, so I pushed it back in and
rebooted...black screen and no boot so I gave up last night....her
hardware:

logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse
Western Digital Caviar 20 gig drive
SB Audigy Sound Card
US Robotics 56k modem
ATI Rage 8 mb video card
DVD Player (can't remember brand...is two years old, though)
CDRW, can't remember brand, two years old
Tyan MOBO
AMD 1.4 Ghz athlon running at 1100 Mhz due to board restraints (but with
no errors in any previous versions of windows)

Now, this was yesterday, the release day of XP.  On Monday night, I
upgraded my RedHat 7.1 system to 7.2.....here is my sequence of events:

Downloaded the iso files from linuxnirvana, no fees paid
Burned said iso files to two cd's, approximate cost $0.60
Placed CD 1 in drive and rebooted
Chose to do an upgrade of all packages and chose grub as bootloader
When time came put in cd two
Removed cd two and rebooted

Hmm.....makes me wonder if maybe I should push even harder to get her to
let me put RH opr maybe SuSE on her box...all she would need is a vanilla
install and then StarOffice...all she does is so basic typing and web
browsing/email....Atleast RH would boot her machine properly!

BTW, my list of equipment is as follows -

ASUS a7a266 mobo
AMD 1.4 Ghz Athlon running at 1410
Onboard CMedia sound
20 GB SeaGate Barracuda HD
GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB vid card w/ 3d acceleration in X :)
Sony 12/8/32 CDRW detected as scsi
DVD player detected as scsi
Sony 40x cdrom detected as scsi
Micro Innovations keyboard
Logitech  Three button trackball w/ scroll wheel that works in everything
but netscape

so, best I can tell, linux has full support for my new(er) hardware, a
fact often contested by linux opponents....

like I told mom....another quality product from MS 8>)

kw

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Terry Port » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 23:13:44

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:20:05 GMT, Kevin M. Wilcox dashed off:

Quote:>Went to Staples yesterday and bought my mother a copy of XP that she just
>HAD to have.....so, I went up to her room yesterday evening and we
>started installing it....while still reading the system info, a black
>screen came up that lasted for 45 minutes, at which point I promptly
>rebooted....and got the blue screen of death....rebooted again, black
>screen....rebooted again, install came up and finished....booted machine,
>black screen....rebooted, blue screen of death....booted AGAIN and blue
>screen of death.  next boot worked, logged in on the box and had no mouse
>support (on a ps/2 style mouse).  So I shutdown and checked the mouse
>plug....it was a little loose, so I pushed it back in and
>rebooted...black screen and no boot so I gave up last night....her
>hardware:

You evil bastard, you were thinking evil thoughts wern't you ???
How can XP *ever* work under that kind of duress ?

Quote:

>logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse
>Western Digital Caviar 20 gig drive
>SB Audigy Sound Card
>US Robotics 56k modem
>ATI Rage 8 mb video card
>DVD Player (can't remember brand...is two years old, though)
>CDRW, can't remember brand, two years old
>Tyan MOBO
>AMD 1.4 Ghz athlon running at 1100 Mhz due to board restraints (but with
>no errors in any previous versions of windows)

Hah, show us your proof that WinXP is certified to work with this hardware?
I bet you chose Linux specific hardware on purpose to make XP look bad!

Its probably that Logitech wireless, you sneakily used radio waves
to confuse the most stable operating system the world has ever known,
gack ... these Linux advocates play dirty!

Quote:

>Now, this was yesterday, the release day of XP.  On Monday night, I
>upgraded my RedHat 7.1 system to 7.2.....here is my sequence of events:

>Downloaded the iso files from linuxnirvana, no fees paid

Thats gotta be illegal, warez, warez, someone call the cops!

Quote:>Burned said iso files to two cd's, approximate cost $0.60

WHAT! quick someone call the SPA, or somebody, sixty cents indeed!

Quote:>Placed CD 1 in drive and rebooted
>Chose to do an upgrade of all packages and chose grub as bootloader
>When time came put in cd two
>Removed cd two and rebooted

I hope you were filling in your registration card during this time,
so someone can advise you of updates and special offers and ...

Quote:

>Hmm.....makes me wonder if maybe I should push even harder to get her to
>let me put RH opr maybe SuSE on her box...all she would need is a vanilla
>install and then StarOffice...all she does is so basic typing and web
>browsing/email....Atleast RH would boot her machine properly!

Your poor mother, how could you, you Linux *!

Quote:

>BTW, my list of equipment is as follows -

>ASUS a7a266 mobo
>AMD 1.4 Ghz Athlon running at 1410
>Onboard CMedia sound
>20 GB SeaGate Barracuda HD
>GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB vid card w/ 3d acceleration in X :)
>Sony 12/8/32 CDRW detected as scsi
>DVD player detected as scsi
>Sony 40x cdrom detected as scsi
>Micro Innovations keyboard
>Logitech  Three button trackball w/ scroll wheel that works in everything
>but netscape

Ahh all *old* obsolete equipment, the only kind that Linux will work with!

Quote:>so, best I can tell, linux has full support for my new(er) hardware, a
>fact often contested by linux opponents....

Liar, Flatfish has never said that!

Quote:

>like I told mom....another quality product from MS 8>)

>kw

All in jest Kev, forgive me it's late and I've been overdosing
on kicking Wintroll *over in alt.linux.sucks :)

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

Post by Kevin M. Wilc » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:28:25

> You evil bastard, you were thinking evil thoughts wern't you ???

damn right....the THOUGHT that XP would be so kind as to atleast attempt
to install on the unsupported equipment was bad enough

Quote:> How can XP *ever* work under that kind of duress ?

XP is the god send, but it can't always work miracles for old shite

Quote:

> Hah, show us your proof that WinXP is certified to work with this hardware?
> I bet you chose Linux specific hardware on purpose to make XP look bad!

That's right.  I have to post Linux FUD as I am such a strong windows
advocate

Quote:> Its probably that Logitech wireless, you sneakily used radio waves
> to confuse the most stable operating system the world has ever known,
> gack ... these Linux advocates play dirty!

Those bastards!  They don't just play dirty..they ARE dirty
Quote:

> Thats gotta be illegal, warez, warez, someone call the cops!

SHHH!!  I don't want RedHat CEO's to VOW to hunt me down!

Quote:> WHAT! quick someone call the SPA, or somebody, sixty cents indeed!

> so someone can advise you of updates and special offers and ...

I need those offers...I use windows.....I can't think for myself,
remember?
Quote:

> Your poor mother, how could you, you Linux *!

The old fart deserves it!
Quote:> Ahh all *old* obsolete equipment, the only kind that Linux will work with!

That's right...Linux, what a crock
Quote:> Liar, Flatfish has never said that!

Flatfish is my hero!!!!

Quote:> All in jest Kev, forgive me it's late and I've been overdosing
> on kicking Wintroll *over in alt.linux.sucks :)

hahahaha  Terry, no apology needed....I read your post and laughed so
hard I started crying....that was a great way to releive the MS
frsutration from last night!

kw

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:51:05

Also, dammit, it's a wonder how X11 even manages to work at all, what
with all those context switches and socket calls.  I'd rather use
Windoze Xp.  Also, don't forget about the always-excellent Windows job
control via the Windoze task manager.

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:56:49

The Audigy card isn't supported out of the box by XP, it's too new.  You can
download drivers for it from Creative though (they were just released on
Wednesday).

Since you have an older motherboard, it may need a BIOS upgrade.  Have you
checked the motherboards website for XP compatibility?

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:56:02

> [...]

> > install and then StarOffice...all she does is so basic typing and web
> > browsing/email....Atleast RH would boot her machine properly!

> > BTW, my list of equipment is as follows -

> > ASUS a7a266 mobo
> > AMD 1.4 Ghz Athlon running at 1410
> > Onboard CMedia sound
> > 20 GB SeaGate Barracuda HD
> > GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB vid card w/ 3d acceleration in X :)
> > Sony 12/8/32 CDRW detected as scsi
> > DVD player detected as scsi
> > Sony 40x cdrom detected as scsi
> > Micro Innovations keyboard
> > Logitech  Three button trackball w/ scroll wheel that works in everything
> > but netscape

> > so, best I can tell, linux has full support for my new(er) hardware, a
> > fact often contested by linux opponents....

> > like I told mom....another quality product from MS 8>)

Hey, I thought you guys said that XP would even work on even a 500 Mhz
Celeron.  Seems to me that there are some hardware compatibility
problems in XP.  It should take his CD from his sound card and install
it... after all that work M$ has put into making it backwards
compatible.  Sounds like beta software to me.

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:56:57

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:56:49 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch"

> >The Audigy card isn't supported out of the box by XP, it's too new.  You can
> >download drivers for it from Creative though (they were just released on
> >Wednesday).

> >Since you have an older motherboard, it may need a BIOS upgrade.  Have you
> >checked the motherboards website for XP compatibility?

> He's running a semi misclocked system as well.

> Logitech has an issue with XP as well.

> Seeing as he loves Linux you would think he would be used to reading
> HCL and How-To's.

I thought XP was supposed to support everything with backwards
compatibility..
sounds like beta software to me along with a few million bugs in it.

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Kool Breez » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 04:30:11

Baically, Win2k and XP is like the rest. One large file copy and your
machine is useless for anything else until the copy is finished.

Quote:>Also, dammit, it's a wonder how X11 even manages to work at all, what

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 04:34:13

> Baically, Win2k and XP is like the rest. One large file copy and your
> machine is useless for anything else until the copy is finished.

Really?  So, does it slow to a crawl when you try to format a floppy?  I
know Microsoft fixed this for ME, but they had to put some sort of timer
in there to allow other apps to multitask during the format.  Formatting
ran at least 2x as slow.  Shame when you have to code around the OS'
shortcomings.

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Harlin Serit » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 04:53:01

Dude:
I am really starting to find out that linux is even EASIER to install and
upgrade than M$'s products!  At school, the instructor (he tows the M$ line
all the way, boy, let me tell yu!), announced to us that HE was going to
install XP and the exact same thing happened and he finally gave up
embarrassed.

Post by Kevin M. Wilc » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 05:38:01

> The Audigy card isn't supported out of the box by XP, it's too new.  You can
> download drivers for it from Creative though (they were just released on
> Wednesday).

> Since you have an older motherboard, it may need a BIOS upgrade.  Have you
> checked the motherboards website for XP compatibility?

I knew the audigy wasn't supported out of box, via a nice little window
that said something essentially summed up as "wtf is this??"...as for the
"older" mainboard, it is less than a year old....problem is that it only
supports up to a 1330 Athlon and not the 1400 Athlon...but as it
autodetects it as a 1050 (the athlon just has a different clock
multiplier), I didn't want to*with it too much.....but it'll be
nice when her new ASUS gets here.....

oddly enough, the linux users I know with audigy's (very few, but still
existant) have had no problems with their cards......

kw

Post by Mark Ke » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:36:30

>On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:56:49 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch"

>>The Audigy card isn't supported out of the box by XP, it's too new.  You can
>>download drivers for it from Creative though (they were just released on
>>Wednesday).

>>Since you have an older motherboard, it may need a BIOS upgrade.  Have you
>>checked the motherboards website for XP compatibility?

>He's running a semi misclocked system as well.

>Logitech has an issue with XP as well.

Audigy cards, motherboards, Logitech problems.  is XP compatible with anything?

--
Mark Kent
                                               Take out the ham to mail me.

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:14:01

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:11:30 GMT, FawnLebowitz dashed off:

>On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:56:49 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch"

>>The Audigy card isn't supported out of the box by XP, it's too new.  You can
>>download drivers for it from Creative though (they were just released on
>>Wednesday).

>>Since you have an older motherboard, it may need a BIOS upgrade.  Have you
>>checked the motherboards website for XP compatibility?

>He's running a semi misclocked system as well.

>Logitech has an issue with XP as well.

>Seeing as he loves Linux you would think he would be used to reading
>HCL and How-To's.

Flatfish has now become a Microsoft apologist ??

Whats the matter Flatty, aren't total lies and bullshit enough for
you any more ?

--
Free Micro Burner http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:11:27

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:28:25 GMT, Kevin M. Wilcox dashed off:

Quote:>> All in jest Kev, forgive me it's late and I've been overdosing
>> on kicking Wintroll *over in alt.linux.sucks :)

>hahahaha  Terry, no apology needed....I read your post and laughed so
>hard I started crying....that was a great way to releive the MS
>frsutration from last night!

Excellent, just the look I was after :)

Actually quite a few Linux advocates have done the same to me, so
this is just my way of putting a little something back into Linux ;-)

--

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:57:00

> [...]

> > > GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB vid card w/ 3d acceleration in X :)
> > > Sony 12/8/32 CDRW detected as scsi
> > > DVD player detected as scsi
> > > Sony 40x cdrom detected as scsi
> > > Micro Innovations keyboard
> > > Logitech  Three button trackball w/ scroll wheel that works in
everything
> > > but netscape

> > > so, best I can tell, linux has full support for my new(er) hardware, a
> > > fact often contested by linux opponents....

> > > like I told mom....another quality product from MS 8>)

> > > kw

> Hey, I thought you guys said that XP would even work on even a 500 Mhz
> Celeron.  Seems to me that there are some hardware compatibility
> problems in XP.  It should take his CD from his sound card and install
> it... after all that work M$ has put into making it backwards
> compatible.  Sounds like beta software to me.

The Audigy card was  just released a few weeks ago.

There are also two ways to install your computer (well more than that, but 2
main ones) ACPI and Standard PC.  If your BIOS lies and says it's ACPI
compliant, XP will believe it and have trouble.  In which case, you need to
install as Standard PC or get a BIOS upgrade.

1. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

Hi,
I have RH 7.1 ,
but i have manually installed kernel 2.4.13
(highly costomized)
and X server 4.1.0 (highly customized)
now i want to upgrade to RH 7.2 but
i don't want to install the Kernel as RH 7.2 comes with 2.4.7
Also i don't want to upgrade X as i already have 4.1.0 .

is there a way of doing this ?
also if i want to upgrade my kernel from
2.4.13 to the latest 2.4.16 how can i
copy the previous settings (made with make menuconfig) to the new kernel
source. ?
thanks in advance.

p.s anybody knows when Xfree86 4.2.0 is
going to be out ?

---

2. HP 4LJ Pro

3. command not found after RH 7.2 kernel upgrade via "Upgrade Agent"

4. S3 Trio3D problems

5. newbie-How to upgrade from RH 7.2 to RH 7.3?

6. /dev/ram0 for root fs

7. Upgrade RH 6.0 to RH 7.2

8. Does anyone know of any network integrity software?

9. Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7

10. RH 7.2 font aliasing problem after upgrading kde and xfree w/RH rpms

11. upgrade RH 6.1 > RH 7.2 == no kbd, no mouse

12. problems in upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 8.0

13. External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!