Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me' -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me' -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by Daero » Tue, 27 May 2003 23:56:35

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me'
Ian *  --  May 22 2003

"I can't claim enough expertise to say that your intellectual property
claims are completely unfounded, but I can see that you do not know what
you want, keep changing your story, and have handled the entire
situation incredibly poorly."
-------

Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me' -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by Sundial Service » Wed, 28 May 2003 02:38:22

I really hate to see lawyers getting more money.  SCO's shareholders don't
have too much to expect from the company anyway but at least its remaining
assets might fetch something at auction.  It seems too bad to just dump
that money into lawyer's pockets, when they could otherwise be cents on the
dollar...

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me'

> Becareful of what you wish for,
> You may receive it.

>> Ian *  --  May 22 2003

>> "I can't claim enough expertise to say that your intellectual property
>> claims are completely unfounded, but I can see that you do not know what
>> you want, keep changing your story, and have handled the entire
>> situation incredibly poorly."
>> -------

Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me' -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by rapska » Wed, 28 May 2003 03:52:21

Error log for Mon, 26 May 2003 22:05:45 +0000: segfault in module john
bailo - dump details are as follows...

>> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21581.html Thousands Say 'SCO Sue
>> Me'

> Becareful of what you wish for,
> You may receive it.

And SCO may be in for a rude awakening if they don't provide some basis to
their claims quickly.

Can you say "counter-suit" and "class action"?

--
rapskat -  20:51:17 up 2 days,  8:21,  6 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.68, 0.67
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

Post by T. Relye » Wed, 28 May 2003 03:31:28

>> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21581.html
>> Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me'

> Becareful of what you wish for,
> You may receive it.

Bring it on!!!!

Todd

Post by Sundial Service » Wed, 28 May 2003 04:00:14

>> And SCO may be in for a rude awakening if they don't provide some basis
>> to their claims quickly.

>> Can you say "counter-suit" and "class action"?

> Can you direct me to the best news summary of the situation so far.  I
> have been reading here that SCO recently relinquished claims to the Linux
> kernel and narrowed its litigants to IBM, Suse and Redhat.

> So what IP are they protecting at this point?

The open software foundation site has a lot of material on it.  A "google"
search of the last week will produce more than you might care to read.

Basically, I think the bottom line for SCO is "money."  For quite a long
time they were working with IBM toward something, and IBM reasonably
decided that working with SCO's products and technologies wasn't getting
them where they wanted to go.  So they ended the project and moved on with
Linux.  And SCO, finding itself with very little in the way of a business
model anyhow, most likely brought this lawsuit in an effort to force IBM to
buy them out.

But, as many columnists much more gifted of tongue than I have pointed out,
SCO might have opened a Pandora's Box against themselves.  By making such
outrageous claims, they point out to everyone just how little they've
actually accomplished and how much /has/ been done, and done better, by
Linux.  By claiming that they should somehow "own" Linux and "license" it,
they illustrate just how absurd those claims are.

"Narrowing its litigantsto IBM, SUSE, and Red Hat" hammers the coffin-nail
home in my book.  They're only interested in the companies they believe
have money.  Or, they're only interested in knocking the companies that
could actually provide competition to Microsoft.  Any /legitimate/
intellectual property claim is expressly _prohibited_ from "picking your
targets" like that.  (You are required to move promptly against all
infringement and without prejudice.)

[And, ooh, stupidboy, /don't/ sue ... IBM ...]

I sincerely hope that SCO gets every bit of what is coming to it.  Starting
with a very harsh rebuke from the courts.  Tax dollars should not be wasted
on the likes of this.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/05/26/1648232.shtml?tid=106&tid=123&ti...

Post by Rick » Wed, 28 May 2003 12:12:13

> Error log for Mon, 26 May 2003 22:05:45 +0000: segfault in module john
> bailo - dump details are as follows...

>>> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21581.html Thousands Say 'SCO Sue
>>> Me'

>> Becareful of what you wish for,
>> You may receive it.

> And SCO may be in for a rude awakening if they don't provide some basis to
> their claims quickly.

> Can you say "counter-suit" and "class action"?

Unfortunately, I think the only place SCO -has- to provide evidence is in
court.

--
Rick

Post by Nigel Feltha » Wed, 28 May 2003 19:40:29

>> Error log for Mon, 26 May 2003 22:05:45 +0000: segfault in module john
>> bailo - dump details are as follows...

>>> Becareful of what you wish for,
>>> You may receive it.

>> And SCO may be in for a rude awakening if they don't provide some basis
>> to their claims quickly.

>> Can you say "counter-suit" and "class action"?

> Unfortunately, I think the only place SCO -has- to provide evidence is in
> court.

That doesn't rule out being forced to reveal the evidence in another court
as part of a counter-suit or class action suit.

--
begin  sig
Not the moderator of Comp.Os.Linux.Advocacy